Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Complimenting conductors

On 16 Jun 2016 at 6:24am Thomas the tank engine wrote:
I know there are a lot of people slagging off the conductors on Southern, but my trip home yesterday from Ashford was pleasant enough made even better by a Conductor who took time to talk to people about their situation and even spoke calmly to an absolute plank who lost it and thought he knew everything about railways and unions.
Strikes and sickness may not be to everyones liking but I do think its very much a case of management putting profit before employees and bullying staff to submission so what else can staff do?
Everyone I've spoken to do not want to have driver only trains and are happy with the current set up.
Whilst I may be in the minority the conductors have my support.
On 16 Jun 2016 at 7:15am Howard staples wrote:
Yes they have my vote too, I think the conductors are misunderstood. They are striking for our safety and we should all support this cause irrespective of any inconvenience caused. No doubt this has caused them to have a lot of stress recently hence the sickness but they have my vote and support any day, we need to think about the bigger picture here folks which is a safer rail system for all.
On 16 Jun 2016 at 7:37am astrid wrote:
It has never been a good service and British rail should take over. I am passed having sympathy they are clearly using sickness as an unofficial way to strike not acceptable!! after the 20th time of being late.
On 16 Jun 2016 at 7:40am Tim wrote:
I always make a point of thanking a Conductor when leaving a train. Similarly, when going past barrier line staff. Why not? They need to be valued.
On 16 Jun 2016 at 7:45am Mavis wrote:
I know it's topical, but I seem to think I saw somewhere that the EU won't allow us to nationalise the railways
On 16 Jun 2016 at 7:50am Clifford wrote:
astrid wrote: '... they are clearly using sickness as an unofficial way to strike not acceptable!!'

Astrid, you shouldn't believe Southern propaganda.

'Absence management expert Adrian Lewis said: “There is no data provided to support allegations of sickie-taking, and most UK businesses would find themselves unable to provide accurate, statistical data in the event of a ‘sickout’. What is actually happening here is anybody’s guess, however businesses who invest in systems that give accurate employee information generally see better morale, higher levels of engagement, more trust and less sickness absence.
My suggestion would be that Southern Railway look at their HR systems, policies and practices and work on improving their staff relationships. A complete lack of trust between managers and staff will only see the customer experience deteriorate further.”'
On 16 Jun 2016 at 8:07am arstrid wrote:
I passed gcse English, it's the stress and a fellow commuters elbow in my groin that makes it difficult to use my i phone.
On 16 Jun 2016 at 9:10am blaze wrote:
My partner works for southern , and unfortunately there is a lot of misguided information , they aren't trying to get rid of conductor's they are simply reducing their jobs by one !! Which is to signal to the driver that the platform is safe to leave the station and the reason they can do this is some new trains have the ability to allow the driver to check this !!! This actually putting an extra job on to the driver ,there is no job's being lost ,no cuts in pay they have been asked to interact with commuters more !
On 16 Jun 2016 at 9:22am Understanding soul wrote:
Astrid, have you thought that sickness absenteeism could be down to stress caused by poor management? Think how you would possibly feel in their position being bullied and made a scapegoat for all the appalling decisions being made higher up the chain. They are standing up not only for their rights, but also for what is right and safe for rail users. Try laying the blame with the senior managers rather than the conductors!
On 16 Jun 2016 at 9:59am Dr Beeching wrote:
"Try laying the blame with the senior managers"?
No. Try laying the blame on the government. The new franchise is designed to protect the train company during a long industrial dispute which will break the union and radically transform the working conditions of the staff.
It's what the DfT dreamt up, in the certain knowledge that this dispute would come along, regardless of which company won the franchise.
In the event of any strike action, the government is protecting the franchisee's income and covering the running costs, whatever they are.
Outrageous pandering to a commercial organisation? Or a cunning plan to destroy the power of the RMT?
On 16 Jun 2016 at 10:52am Fat Controller wrote:
A letter from Conductors to the travelling public:

Check it out here »
On 16 Jun 2016 at 12:14pm Tim wrote:
Astrid, there is far more to this than meets the eye. I have been trying for some time to find out how big the vacancy gap is on Southern among drivers and conductors? It is my belief (but can't prove it because GTR won't release any numbers) that Southern rely heavily on rest day and overtime work in order just to meet the timetabled services that they are contracted to run. I.e they are deliberately under resourced!
Any company has to 'factor in' an allowance for staff sickness, some long term, some short term, especially when their output and customer satisfaction depends on it.
On 16 Jun 2016 at 3:17pm Astrid wrote:
I am in no doubt they are badly organised but instead of being willing to work these through they all seem to be sick!! Bad form. As a child care practitioner and someone that has a consciounce I would not just bunk off. There have been times where work situations have made my life very hard and red tape poor government decisions preventing us from working more efficiently you just can't give up at the expense of whoever the customer may be
On 16 Jun 2016 at 3:23pm European worker wrote:
I agree Tim, cut out the overtime and rest day working and employ more efficient, and cheaper, workers from the EU migrant worker force.
Let those work who want to, earn to keep their families and not rely on benefits.
On 16 Jun 2016 at 3:57pm Bus driver wrote:
I feel sorry for the conductors, threats of job cuts, illness and all things stressful etc. I am willing to be inconvenienced for them. Hopefully things will sort themselves out soon.
On 16 Jun 2016 at 5:27pm Fred2016 wrote:
Never forget the rail system is run for profits not for the customer. They know there is little alternative for people so they do not have to care. I used trains for 38 years and after privatisation the service started its decline. Sad reflection on the UK and its leaders.
On 16 Jun 2016 at 5:34pm Signalman wrote:
"Blaze' you are misguided as well as illiterate.
On 16 Jun 2016 at 5:49pm Tim wrote:
Astrid, I don't think you understand. What is a typical % sickness rate in the UK ? Is Southern's higher or lower? How many are long term sick (every employer has to manage such an eventuality)? How many services are not running because of lack of DRIVERS and NOT Conductors? How many services are not running because of a vacancy gap? Etc etc It is easy for Southern to present information whichever way it suits them - but they won't answer some fundamental questions.

On 16 Jun 2016 at 7:23pm Astrid wrote:
A question for tim: how often do you get a train? The length of time and the daily delays tells me something is being coordinated.
On 16 Jun 2016 at 8:13pm Tim wrote:
Every day - Monday to Friday and I have been since July 1978.

On 17 Jun 2016 at 3:46pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Well if nothing else, an extended period of terrible train service up to London might cause a slight dent in Lewes house prices. I imagine the idea of living in a pretty Sussex town is a bit less appealing if it takes you three hours to get to work in the morning rather than one. As someone who drives to work locally, I wholeheartedly support whatever service disruption the RMT feel necessary to make their point.

16 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Castle Penny 62:132
Lewes Castle Penny

P.S. this is becoming a habit but what the hell? You may need a little help so may I refer you to you tube~ Richard Werner the... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington