Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Come on you Rooks

On 24 Aug 2011 at 12:35am Rookie wrote:
Tonight (Wednesday) sees the return of league football at the Dripping Pan.
The Met Police are the visitors and all Lewes supporters are urged to come along and welcome Steve King and his players.
Kick off is 7.45pm, adults £10, concessions £5 and kids of course, go free.
Come on you Rooks!

On 24 Aug 2011 at 10:05pm Awesome Wells wrote:
And didn't they do well?

On 24 Aug 2011 at 11:26pm Rookie wrote:
It was only 1-0 to the mighty Rooks but it's a win and 3 lovely points in the bag. Next victims are Billericay this Saturday at The Pan.
Come on you Rooks!

On 25 Aug 2011 at 8:04pm Yawn... wrote:
Mighty is not really the word. Are you a spin doctor?

On 25 Aug 2011 at 10:24pm 1/503 wrote:
There were 503 in the crowd. The food more or less ran out- they told my friend that they weren't expecting it to be so busy! Also, the guys in the bar were fighting a losing battle with their Harveys- too gassy apparently- at one point they suggested bottled Blue Label.
I know it was the first game of the season, but come on chaps, once you get people to go, you've got to look after them.
Good game though. Rooks played with a lot of spirit and some skill. Well taken goal and organised defending. Pitch looked really good too.

On 26 Aug 2011 at 1:12pm Rookie wrote:
The Rooks are Mighty with a capital "M" again.

On 26 Aug 2011 at 7:05pm Observer wrote:
I went with my young son to see them playing in a friendly against Whitehawk recently (which the 'mighty' Rooks lost - to a lower division team) and was staggered at the amount of shouted obscenities directed towards the players and the referee from the benches. This is certainly not a 'family-friendly' attraction for local people. The crowd were amazingly well-behaved and applauded both sides equally, but I don't think I'll be in a hurry to support the 'mighty (with a capital M)' Rooks again.

On 26 Aug 2011 at 10:35pm Times wrote:
Tell me Observer - was the language really any worse than your average school playground? And anyway, you could always sit / stand well away from the benches if you're that sensitive about working class passion manifesting itself in the form of a few swear words. Or take up bridge...

On 27 Aug 2011 at 1:33pm Rookie wrote:
Observer...........I used to watch my son play for a local kids team. I was staggered at the amount of shouted obscenities directed towards the players and the referee from the other parents. This was certainly not a 'family-friendly' game for kids. The players were were amazingly well-behaved and applauded each other equally at the end of the game.
I really think you need to cut down on the cotton wool wrapping. It aint great, but it's the real world.

On 27 Aug 2011 at 5:37pm mrmzholland wrote:
...and another good result this afternoon!

On 27 Aug 2011 at 6:21pm Rookie wrote:
Yes. 2-1 and two superbly struck goals. The Mighty Rooks are on a roll. Next victims on Monday are Horsham. Not too far away do there should be plenty of Rooks followers there.

On 27 Aug 2011 at 8:30pm Observer wrote:
So Mr Steve King has a clean sheet as regarding hurling obscenities at the ref does he?

On 28 Aug 2011 at 12:19am Rookie wrote:
No he doesn't. Who said he did?

On 28 Aug 2011 at 1:19am Fan wrote:
Indeed! Can't you read, Observer? No-one has claimed that Kingy doesn't swear. In fact, no-one has claimed that anyone in football or indeed in society doesn't swear. What people have suggested is that you get real about your little darling, ditch the cotton wool, and come on down to the Pan...

On 28 Aug 2011 at 11:21am Rookie wrote:
Wasn't yesterday great? Warm sunshine. Good company. Old friends. Good football. Good goals. A win. All enjoyed with a pint in the hand at one of the most picturesque grounds around. Brilliant.

On 28 Aug 2011 at 1:43pm Fan wrote:
Yep, a great time! Looked pretty comfortable against a team who were more of a threat than the Met midweek. Noisy away support to add a little something to the day too...

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Baxters Print Works Lewes 8:132
Baxters Print Works Lewes

Polly as most of the responses don't seem to provide a complete answer to your question I can provide my experiences of the Lewes... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell