Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Cockshut Lane

1
1
On 12 Nov 2015 at 4:38pm selfish git wrote:
Anyone at the LDC planning meeting last night and know the result of the application to open Cockshut Lane to heavy vehicles?
4
4
On 12 Nov 2015 at 5:18pm Gaying it up wrote:
Yes thanks I know
2
4
On 12 Nov 2015 at 5:43pm Border Control wrote:
Why is it called Cockshut ?
2
3
On 12 Nov 2015 at 8:02pm resident wrote:
I believe the application was denied.
3
9
On 12 Nov 2015 at 8:05pm resident wrote:
the Cockshut Lane will now become a bridleway, so no vehicles allowed .
6
5
On 12 Nov 2015 at 8:22pm johnnyvinyl wrote:
A couple of hundred years ago, a local well-known chicken farmer
had many laying hens, but also a sometimes troublesome cockerel, whose close attention to the hens put them off laying.
He had to regularly lock the bird in the farmhouse, and would tell all passers-by what he had done.
So, gradually the lane became known as 'cock shut indoors' Lane.
Over the years , this morphed into Cock Shut In Door Lane.
Unfortunately, the Health and Safety/PC police have enforced a
revised version to be adopted.
Hope that helps, Border Control
4
8
On 12 Nov 2015 at 9:01pm Ronnielatex wrote:
Shut up ! it's pronounced cockshoot !
1
5
On 12 Nov 2015 at 10:58pm Puzzled wrote:
I always assumed people mispronounced it "Cockshoot" because it sounds less "rude" !
3
5
On 12 Nov 2015 at 11:36pm Sylvia wrote:
It is not possible for it to be vehicle free, because there is access needed to Rise Farm and visitors to the Motabiliy and woodworking business. who require vehicular access. Not to mention the residents who live there.
2
6
On 13 Nov 2015 at 7:11am Delivery driver wrote:
So instead of sharing space with dog walkers and cyclists along the relatively short road from the Stanley Turner ground, any vehicle unable to go under the railway bridge will now have to share the much longer route via Ham Lane with the dog walkers.
This will take much longer- however, it is easy to get up to speeds of 30-40mph along that route!
4
1
On 13 Nov 2015 at 9:30am John Smith wrote:
In answer to delivery driver: I don't think anyone would have really objecting to sharing the road if the drivers had respected that fact. But they didn't: they sped along in complete disregard for other users.

As for doing high speeds along Ham Lane, how will you feel if you do actually kill someone? Will you say "serve you right, you should have let us mow down walkers in Cockshut Lane instead"?
1
3
On 13 Nov 2015 at 10:21am resident wrote:
sorry I meant vehicle free from Stanley Turner to the Bridge under the A 27 is that correct?
5
1
On 13 Nov 2015 at 10:28am selfish git wrote:
Yes, resident, I believe that was what the appeal (the first of many, no doubt) was about. If your belief is correct then I am very glad as I use that route with my daughter, it's one of the few roads in and out of Lewes where you don't have to fear for your lives because of cars and lorries flying about the place.
 
 
On 15 Nov 2015 at 9:37pm look before you write wrote:
The tunnel rather limits the options for "heavy" vehicles to go through, lewes district council can authorise what they like, network rail will not be making the bridge any more accommodating so ham lane is the only practical route


23 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Station Street Lewes 111:132
Station Street Lewes

TP 15 Sep - 21-49: I simply don't understand how my "options" do not refer to the current situation. Are you seriously... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine