Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Cliffe programme

On 12 Oct 2016 at 6:48pm Omg wrote:
Is it true. Is there no Cliffe programme this year ???
On 12 Oct 2016 at 6:57pm Wtf wrote:
Apparently they're going to get a copy of everyone elses, staple them together and sell it as a 'bonfire guide' ;-)
On 12 Oct 2016 at 7:42pm Tipex wrote:
All programmes are pointless. They're 99% adverts for shops we already know about and 1% invariably inaccurate guesstimates as to what time things are going to happen on the 5th. A copy of yellow pages is just as informative and FREE!
On 12 Oct 2016 at 8:20pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
Yes, they're really dull. I pity the people who sell them door to door, having to listen to people claim that they don't have any change, but they need to make them more interesting.
On 12 Oct 2016 at 8:23pm Wtf wrote:
Both Tipex and EoL are pointless and dull
On 12 Oct 2016 at 8:46pm Fox wrote:
We have a commercial program and my kids love reading it.
On 12 Oct 2016 at 8:49pm Like Yeah wrote:
Indeed Fox. I bet that advert for the Elephant & Castle is riveting
On 12 Oct 2016 at 10:26pm Fox wrote:
I have no preference at all, simply showing my kids what is around this interesting town. No judgement at all. Have a good evening
On 12 Oct 2016 at 10:28pm Local wrote:
Got to say that I was really amazed by the quality of the Commercial one that I bought the other evening. I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise that a large society has designers, printers, writers and photographers amongst its large membership, but I have to take my hat off to them.
Last year I bought from Waterloo, which was like reading a black and white school magazine, and most others I can recall from recent years were dull and very amateurish.
On 12 Oct 2016 at 10:50pm Paperback Writer wrote:
I haven't seen the Cliffe colour supplement yet so can't comment. I have bought the Comical Square programme and have to agree that it does look pretty professional. Waterloo came to the door to sell me their programme this very evening and no doubt I will buy all the others to show my support for Bonfire in Lewes. I don't give a TPL'S toss whether they contain accurate timings or are filled with adverts and bad pictures of past tableaux and highlights of the drunken antics of previous years, I happen to think it's important to support ALL the societies who work f*****ing hard all year round to not only remind us all of the historical signicance of the event but also raise lots of money for charity on the night.
On 13 Oct 2016 at 9:47am The Greek wrote:
I love the bonfire programmes, Cliffe's last year was particularly informative with all the history of bonfire in the town and smugglers' colours for all the societies. Not to mention a list of defunct societies from Wikipedia which I added on there!
They're good souvenirs, I have numerous from many years.
On 13 Oct 2016 at 11:47am Local wrote:
The trouble with Cliffe's programme is that in recent years they appear to be trying hoodwink people - especially visitors to the town - into believing that theirs is a collective fundraising effort by all societies. This is sly and underhand, in my opinion, and now never buy it.
On 13 Oct 2016 at 1:33pm Bellfour Skinner wrote:
I have 2 things to say about the previous post. BOLL--CKS and BOLL--CKS.
Hoodwinked, what a plonker!
On 13 Oct 2016 at 3:33pm Wotcha wrote:
Haven't Cliffe promised not to repeat their "Lewes Bonfire Guide" scam?
On 13 Oct 2016 at 8:00pm More Local wrote:
I have just purchased the Cliffe programme and have to say it is really good, the best by a mile.
Worth every penny.
On 13 Oct 2016 at 8:06pm Sour Grapes wrote:
It's just NOT fair, the Cliffe programme is always better than any other society.
On 13 Oct 2016 at 8:39pm Cliffe Bell End wrote:
Everything the Cliffe do is so much better than anything else.
We've just won the Nobel Prize for being the most complete self absorbed t.wats on the planet
On 13 Oct 2016 at 9:28pm Gas man wrote:
I can smell gas
On 14 Oct 2016 at 9:11pm TomCat wrote:
Looks like cliffe will be late to their fire site this year.....
On 14 Oct 2016 at 10:35pm Interested wrote:
So the usual Cliffe slagging off has started, but as always, nobody ha actually given any reason for it. Is it jealousy, stupidity, ignorance, or a combination of all three?

On 16 Oct 2016 at 1:48pm Miss Terry Shopper wrote:
I'll give you 3.
1. They have some good members but are very aggressive and abrasive. I've never had any other bonfire member insult me for no reason, or sing aggressively on an outfire. I don't give a flying toss but that might upset one or two other people Cliffe person, don't you think?
2. Their programme is an attempt to represent all the bonfire societies and clean up on any programme income that others might make. Cliffe are not an authority on any other bonfire society other than Cliffe.
Underhand and deceitful some people might say, Cliffe member.
3. They are not as good looking as other bonfire societies. Dog rough, grubby, not so many teeth. some might say. This might put off better looking prospective members or people who don't want to look at that week in week out.
On 16 Oct 2016 at 9:19pm Interested wrote:
Some interesting points, Miss Terry, though I have to pick you up on a couple of things.
1. The songs sung at out-meetings have always been a reciprocal thing, and invariably you will see the singers having a pint and a laugh with their 'opposition' straight away afterwards. At least, in the thirty years plus that I have been in Bonfire that has been the case. You might also be interested to know, that it is the Cliffe that have introduced many non-offensive songs into the out-meeting repertoire over the lat 20 years, songs with which most other societies join in with I might add.
2. I don't know how you do it in your society, but we only have one captain of programmes, so blaming the whole society for what he does is just a little immature. Maybe we should all hate Commercial because their tab wasn't up to their usual standard last year? That would just be stupid wouldn't it. Furthermore, for your information, most Cliffe members aren't happy with the programme format any more than you are, but sorry, we can't do anything about it.
3. I was taking you seriously till you got to item 3, when you decided to resort to the sort of childish insults that you so hate in item 1. I can only think therefore, that maybe you are no better than the people you choose to insult.
If Cliffe members are so offensive, why is it that the only insults being posted on this forum are directed at them, and not the other way round?
So, CSBS member (as I presume that is what you are), have a good Bonfire, and remember, we might wind each other up, but proper Bonfire Boys stick together at the end of the day. We might be in different societies, but we do it for the same reasons. That is all too often forgotten.
On 16 Oct 2016 at 11:15pm Miss Terry Shopper wrote:
Oh, and they're reallllllllllly touchy

On 17 Oct 2016 at 9:09am Black and White is Shite wrote:
Never insult the precious cliffe MTS.
On 17 Oct 2016 at 9:25am Interested wrote:
She, isn't that nice, more children are coming out to play!
On 17 Oct 2016 at 10:22am Ed Can Do wrote:
Confucius tells us: "The faults of a superior person are like the sun and moon. They have their faults, and everyone sees them; they change and everyone looks up to them".
On 17 Oct 2016 at 11:24am Gas man wrote:
I can smell GAS

On 17 Oct 2016 at 11:37pm Item 2 wrote:
Change him for someone else , he wasn't even born beautiful

9 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Keere Street Lewes 49:132
Keere Street Lewes

Ignoring unhelpful name calling and relying on government statistics which show that the delta variant is the Indian variant... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde