Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Christmas lights in lewes

On 9 Dec 2014 at 9:49pm Mr Happy wrote:
Does anyone else find the lack of Christmas lights in the shopping area on Lewes a bit sad. I realise there is a cost, but making the town more festive would surely be good for businesses? Quite a few of the towns nearby look really festive, so I think LDC could do with getting some lights arrange for next year. I do get a feeling that Lewes is obsessed with bonfire night and forget that Christmas can be celebrated too.
On 9 Dec 2014 at 10:07pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
Here we go. Ever year, someone moans about the absence of garish festive lighting, followed by a comment that says something like "They've got a lovely display in Uckfield and there's free parking too!" I suppose it's nice that Mr Happy still gets excit to him.
On 9 Dec 2014 at 10:12pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
Sorry, the last line should read "I suppose it's nice that Mr Happy still gets excited enough about Christmas for this to bother him". I was clearly so excited typing this, I messed it up.
On 9 Dec 2014 at 10:19pm Mr Happy wrote:
Come on fella, cheer up.
On 9 Dec 2014 at 10:24pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
Bah! Humbug!
On 9 Dec 2014 at 10:24pm Mr Happy wrote:
There's nothing wrong with having a discussion about our town. That's what I thought a forum was about?
Don't you think it's a shame that our town looks pretty poor when it comes to the festive season?
On 9 Dec 2014 at 10:35pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
I think it looks lovely already.
On 10 Dec 2014 at 7:46am historian wrote:
Mr Happy you've got to realise Lewes just ain't an ordinary town, with ordinary shops ! It's a real challenge to buy proper Christmas presents from the selection of retail outlets in Lewes, at competitive and realistic prices. Whereas other towns offer a real competitive festive atmosphere and positively embrace the commercial aspects of the season.
On 10 Dec 2014 at 8:11am Santa wrote:
If there are really that many people who are so upset by the lack of festive decor in the town, perhaps they could get together and buy some lights etc and donate them to shopkeepers who don't have them already?
On 10 Dec 2014 at 9:40am Flower aka Depressed 40+ wrote:
I thought the high street looked quite pretty the other night. I'm not a fan of disney style lights etc, not sure it suits a town like Lewes.
On 10 Dec 2014 at 10:15am mavis wrote:
The town also looks great in a power cut too.

On 10 Dec 2014 at 1:33pm guildenstern wrote:
Mr happy. LDC is not responsible. It's the town council. And we've been moaning about the pathetic effort to brighten the town at Christmas for as long as l can remember. The 2 trees look better this year though.
On 10 Dec 2014 at 1:58pm Mavis wrote:
Every council passes the buck to another one, how are we expected to know the difference ? Maybe there are just too many councils ? For this very purpose, so they hide behind one another.
On 10 Dec 2014 at 2:25pm Mrs Happy - no relation wrote:
I love christmas lights, the more the merrier!
On 10 Dec 2014 at 4:06pm rosencrantz wrote:
Guildenstern- you are wrong. It's the Chamber of Commerce, and there is a long history of them trying to get traders to sign up. Since their old coloured lights shuffled off this mortal coil they have been trying to get everyone to buy the not very expensive white lights for their premises, which avoid all the problems of crumbly old building facades and those who won't or can't give permission for steel cables to be attached for stringing across the street. the Town Council pays for the two trees and lights them, and gives the COC grant money for the shopping evening. I think they look rather classy.
On 10 Dec 2014 at 4:10pm Humbert wrote:
Rosencrantz is right. Instead of complaining at the council, or chamber of commerce people need to get onto shopkeepers and their landlords. Do that, and we might see a difference.

On 10 Dec 2014 at 9:01pm guildenstern wrote:
Fair play rosenkrantz. You always were the smart one according to will s and tom st.
However I still think our elected town council should try harder to make our town more attractive at Christmas.
G.

On 14 Dec 2014 at 6:08pm Festive feelings wrote:
Some of the shops down Cliffe seem to have got together and put some up.

On 15 Dec 2014 at 9:04am Gertrude wrote:
I was surprised at the lack of Christmas cheer in the streets of Lewes. Some of the shops have great windows, but pretty white strings of lights across the streets would really make such a positive difference at Christmas. The town seems to be almost rejecting Christmas, it feels so gloomy. Many people come to Lewes for shopping throughout the year, and to make it look as if it is enjoying Christmas would surely encourage shoppers? The town manages to raise huge money for 5th November, surely as a town we can raise the money for Christmas street lights for the benefit of everyone?

18 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Starfish Studios Lewes 109:132
Starfish Studios Lewes

Is it not obvious that the part of the project in England will be discussed here not in Greece or Lithuania? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington