Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Chaula's owner is THE WORST PERSON IN LEWES!!!

8
15
On 1 Mar 2009 at 3:24pm Kevin Samson wrote:
By far the worst ever service I have ever had. Food was also poor, but the fact that it took 30 minutes to get a glass of water, drink was spilled all over the table, there was no effort to clear plates at the end of the meal and condiment containers were empty having been used by the previous table and never re filled, really made the experience one I would rather forget. The restaurant was understaffed for a Saturday night and what staff there are are inadequately trained. But the owner/chef is the WORST of them all. There is a 10% service charge added to all bills, irrespective of standard of service and when asked to remove this charge based upon the horrendous service and evening, the owner began to argue loudly with me about this and refused to aknowledge the series of mistakes that had been made! She treats her staff TERRIBLY and has no idea of how to run a restaurant. AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE AND GIVE YOUR BUSINESS TO SOMEONE WHO DESERVES IT.
10
19
On 1 Mar 2009 at 4:39pm Roj wrote:
Maybe she took offence at your grammar and spelling.
11
18
On 1 Mar 2009 at 5:30pm CURRY LOVER wrote:
I FIND CHAULA A WONDERFUL LADY.HER FOOD IS EXTREMELY GOOD AS IS HER MANNER.JUDGING BY THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE WHO USE IT EACH AND EVERY DAY (ME)FOR ONE, I CANNOT SEE HOW SUCH AN INCIDENT WOULD COME ABOUT!I SUPPOSE WITH HER BUSINESS DOING SO WELL, IT IS INEVITABLE SOMEONE WOULD WANT TO BLIGHT IT!
6
24
On 1 Mar 2009 at 6:10pm FA wrote:
Never tried 'a restaurant' but certainly intend to. However, over the past 3 weeks, ive had 2 takeaways and 1 sit in meal at Spice Merchants and they have all been top notch
Highly recommended
15
14
On 1 Mar 2009 at 7:00pm Mystic Mog wrote:
Spice merchants is very good but why doesn't it have its menus on the takeaway menus page and so is 'a restaurant'. Kevin, I assume that you you mean Chaula herself when you say 'owner/chef'. Surely Tooth Fairy is the worst person in Lewes!
12
13
On 1 Mar 2009 at 7:05pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
I love Chaula's. The buffet lunches are superb value and the food is gorgeous. I would suggest that Kevin Sampson is either:


1. Unlucky


2. Not a real person, but a competitor


3. The sort of person who makes a fuss wherever they go


4. A prat


To say that someone is the worst person in Lewes on the basis of Mr Sampson's objections is absurd. I suspect that his hysterical comments will backfire on him.

10
13
On 1 Mar 2009 at 7:07pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
I love Chaula's. The buffet lunches are superb value and the food is gorgeous. I would suggest that Kevin Sampson is either:

1. Unlucky

2. Not a real person, but a competitor

3. The sort of person who makes a fuss wherever they go

4. A prat

To say that someone is the worst person in Lewes on the basis of Mr Sampson's objections is absurd. I suspect that his hysterical comments will backfire on him.
8
9
On 1 Mar 2009 at 7:49pm Geoff wrote:
I haven't got any evidence that Kevin Samson is the worst person in Lews, but in the spirit of his own post, I say that he is becuase HE CAN'T WRITE PROPERLY!!!!!!!! Uses CAPITALS, To EMPHASISE THINGS LIKE AN ANGRY LOONY. And doesn't realise that his post is completely inappropriate. AVOID KEVIN SAMSON L:IKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Funnily enough he doesn't criticise the food.
9
7
On 1 Mar 2009 at 7:54pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
How dare you, MM. It's 'The' Tooth Fairy if you don't mind.
10
2
On 1 Mar 2009 at 8:21pm Outsider wrote:
Most peculiar, I had a meal there yesterday evening, Saturday, with some of my family. I wsa unaware of Mr Samson's alleged incident of complaint.
The food was very good, as ever, the service rapid and attentive. I have known the family for a while and have never seen any evidence of staff being badly treated, quite the reverse.
3
4
On 1 Mar 2009 at 8:56pm mr happy wrote:
I know the waiter there extemely well and he loves working for Chaula and the other staff. Saturday nights can be hectic if busy but it means that you can enjoy an evening without bieng hurried through courses. I have had terrible take aways from restaurants in Lewes but you cant come on here and try to give someones business a bad reputation because a waiter spilt a drink on the table cloth!!Luckily the nice people on here are loyal to Chaula.
8
5
On 1 Mar 2009 at 9:27pm JT wrote:
Look, I'm the waiter that spilt your drink on the table, i cleared it up and changed the table in 2 minutes flat, the drink was replaced. we were extremely busy on saturday and orders were backing up, accidents happen, you can't honestly say you have never had an accident in your life! Chaula is an incredibly talented buissness woman and treats her staff very well, what did you expect her to do?! You are entitiled to your opinion, i didn't come on here to bitch but i can honestly say in the 6 months i've been working at Chaula's you were by far the worst customers i've had to deal with.
You picked at every single mistake i made, i'd like to see you do better. you were the only people to complain that night. You also stated that the food was poor, it didn't stop you eating it ALL though...couldn't have been that bad! If you don't ever want to eat at chaula's again, thats fair enough...that just one less problem for us to deal with! At least get to know someone before you start slagging them off on the internet.
JT

2
6
On 1 Mar 2009 at 9:42pm Lopster wrote:
JT - contender for "Post of the Month"
just goes to show there's two sides to every story
Can't agree that Kevin Sampson is the WORST person in Lewes though - wonder if we will see him comment?
14
8
On 1 Mar 2009 at 11:24pm Chaula wrote:
I'm Chaula and I'm great.
5
3
On 2 Mar 2009 at 8:35am Lewes Laugher wrote:
Kevin Samson sounds like one of the petit-bourgeois twats who are so overcome by their exalted position og deputy assistant under supervisor at work that they think all staff are servants to be piked on. I my be wrong of course.
3
6
On 2 Mar 2009 at 10:57am TRADING STANDARDS wrote:
anybody know who or what Kevin Samson is or does for a living maybe we should all scrutinize him. Do you never make a mistake Kevin eh eh eh
this is me on my way to bet fred to say Kevin won't be back to defend his post..
4
5
On 2 Mar 2009 at 11:54am Local resident wrote:
Actually, I've had a bit of an unfortunate experience at 'a restaurant' too so Kevin may not be entirely wrong....
2
5
On 2 Mar 2009 at 12:10pm Lewes Laugher wrote:
Tell us more Local resident. I've been there a couple of times and it was fine.
1
6
On 2 Mar 2009 at 1:06pm Kevin Samson wrote:
Not a competitor, someone who makes a fuss or a prat. The owner of this business was so appallingly rude and unconcerned about the fact that a business thrives on its reputation I felt moved to write the above piece. The point I am trying to get across is that when someone in the service industry treats paying clientele poorly, there are consequences. She had the opportunity to rectify a situation and instead chose to enter into an argument with a customer when she was clearly at fault. My post is to merely draw attention to the fact that the proprietor comes across as having no clue how to run a restaurant and train staff as well as deal with the general public. As for grammar and spelling - all is correct. Thank you.
4
5
On 2 Mar 2009 at 1:21pm Musher wrote:
Shouldn't you "aknowledge" your mistakes?
3
3
On 2 Mar 2009 at 1:59pm SHS wrote:
From what I've heard, Chuala's business is excellent and the essential - food - is difficult to beat. However the fact remains that a service charge should be optional and in a well-run service business it is worthwhile accepting fault on occasions even when not at fault. It takes broad shoulders but in the situation described it would have been prudent to smile and happily remove the service charge. I suspect Chuala will have thought so too, after the event, and at the time she was just being protective of her staff.
4
5
On 2 Mar 2009 at 3:41pm Kevin Samson wrote:
The intention of this post is to let people know just how poorly the proprietor of this establishment treated someone with a genuine complaint. Having searched around, I see that this is not the only time they have ben unreasoable and I encourage people to spend their money elsewhere. Working in a service industry would imply that service is important. Based upon my experience, I feel that the owner is merely concerned with squeezing as much money out of her customers as possible and is not interested in listening to their issues or working to resolve them so that they will return to give them a second chance. As stated earlier, in a somewhat less aggressive tone, I was absolutely amazed at how poorly I was treated after politely raising the issues that arose during my evening at Chaula's. Based upon this experience, I feel compelled to advise other diners to avoid this restaurant and to give their custom to other, more appreciative businesses in Lewes. So, in conclusion I am neither a prat, someone who makes a fuss wherever I go or a competitor. I am merely someone who had what could have been a nice evening out ruined by a poor meal and very rude owner. Thank you for your time.
2
8
On 2 Mar 2009 at 3:53pm Kevin Samson wrote:
To be fair, we did not pick at your every mistake and you were left out with absolutey no support from your management. Regarding your comment about eating everything on the table - not true at all. I apologise if we were the worst customers we have ever had but to turn things around on you a bit, you might not want to stay in waiting tables. We changed the table cloths, not you. You took over 30 minutes to bring water to the table, about 20 minutes to refill the chutneys on the table and did not once come over to check whether things were going all right as the meal progressed. All hallmarks of good service. I gave your proprietor a chance to make it right and was greeted with rudeness and aggression. Ergo the poor reviews. I can only call things how I see them and this is how this particular situation worked out. Best of luck in the future but I won't be back. And you won't miss me either I guess!
1
3
On 2 Mar 2009 at 3:55pm Gary M wrote:
So make up your mind, are you someone who makes a fuss or a prat?
1
1
On 2 Mar 2009 at 3:55pm Kevin Samson wrote:
Fair point. I acknowledge the error.
1
1
On 2 Mar 2009 at 3:59pm Kevin Samson wrote:
You may well be. You ever had a really bad experience and perhaps let your emotions get the better of you? A business can only improve if it gets both good and bad reviews and acts accordingly. Did I get a little carried away in my post? Probably did. Sorry. But was the experience a very poor one? Absolutely.
1
1
On 2 Mar 2009 at 4:04pm Kevin Samson wrote:
I have made many a mistake in life, but when given the chance to fix them I make my best effort to do so. The opposite happened in this situation and I felt compelled to react. I teach and am constantly trying to improve. When I fall short of expectations I apologise and work to ensure it does not happen again. So I think Fred might be keeping the bet! I stand by the fact that I have never had such a poor restaurant experience. Maybe I've just been lucky that way.
2
2
On 2 Mar 2009 at 4:09pm dats wrote:
I've been to Chaula's several times and I would happily go again, but for what it's worth: the food I've always found to be excellent but the service has been somewhat lacking on every occasion. For me, this seemed to be because there were quite a few young girls as waiting staff who didn't seem to know much about the dishes - including which was which from ones they were delivering to the table. And it has, for me always been on the slow side.
However, despite both the above possible negatives, the serving staff are always really polite and apologetic when they can't answer your question/take ages to clear things up - and because I've never been in a rush, it's been more of a source of amusement than a problem.
 
4
On 2 Mar 2009 at 4:15pm Kevin Samson wrote:
Thanks. Just posting my experience. Earlier language perhaps a little strong and the posting title could have been less personal. If Chaula is reading this, I make no judgements on her outside of business and apologise for my prior outburst. But as a restaurant owner she can improve greatly in the realm of how she treats paying customers if she expects to keep them coming back and recommending her place of business to others.
2
2
On 2 Mar 2009 at 4:36pm whatsitallabout wrote:
Shows you how petty some people are dont it kev!! whinging about you leaving a "c" out of a word - whoa CRIME OF THE CENTURY. These people seriously need to acquire a life.
2
1
On 2 Mar 2009 at 5:00pm Kevin Samson wrote:
Good point - I would have to say based upon the responses to the posting thus far that people are quite divided on this point! I would hope that I am neither! But time will tell...
 
 
On 2 Mar 2009 at 5:11pm DAISY wrote:
'a restaurant' BEST FOOD SERVICE AND CHARACTER PLACE, YOU KEVIN NEED TO GET OUT MORE IF THIS IS ALL YOU CAN DO WITH YOUR TIME I'LL DISAGREE WITH YOU BIG TIME CHAULA HAS A VERY SUCCESFUL RESTAURANT HENCE ITS BUSY ALL THE TIME RE: STAFF THEY R FANTASTIC
1
2
On 2 Mar 2009 at 8:26pm Angry of Lewes (Retd) wrote:
are all of you lot - you morons - post at the bottom then others will bother reading it - as it stands you have wasted your time no one will even try to read your comments as they are not possibleto fathomout - how difficult is it to read this thread? - How much harder would it be to post at the bottom of the thread - not that I care either way
3
4
On 2 Mar 2009 at 8:35pm Geoff wrote:
I simply don't care if kevin sampson is right or wrong, or if Chauala's is great, sometimes makes mistakes, or is always rubbish. Kevin Samson's post is inappropriate, agrressive, and possibly libellous. If he is unaware of how malicious his post sounds, then I am happy to tell him.
1
5
On 2 Mar 2009 at 11:05pm mr car sales man wrote:
As a loyal customer of said Indian due to its good service and good food I feel it is my duty to say I feel I have had previous dealings with this crack pot (Mr Samson). I feel he expects every thing to be completed and served at the same speed as an American style drive through! I found his requests totally unreasonable and requested he leave my bowling ally/mini mart/car lot/green field building site/skate park/asbo centre for the chosen few/home for tyres with bulges and weird bikes.com business centre as soon as his skinny legs could carry him!
P.S
Had a curry in Heathfield the other day! Oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!
Like being in India!!!!!
Worth the taxi from lewes!!!!
The staff were amazing and the food was the most amazing blend of traditional meets contemporary Indian cuisine. Def worth a try.
 
4
On 3 Mar 2009 at 6:51am Amazed wrote:
Mr. Car Sales Man - I have a separate issue with you regarding the vehicles you sell. You may not be the worst person in Lewes as per this thread, but you are perhaps close. Honor thy warranty! By the way, where in Heathfield did you go for the curry?
2
5
On 3 Mar 2009 at 9:47am rb (chaulas) wrote:
firstly kevin chaula is a lovely lady she doesnt treat us terribly she has a very succesful restaurant as you are well aware, as for us being understaffed for a Saturday night and what staff there are are inadequately trained i'd like you to come and face me to say that, i am very good at my job ask any of my customers i dont like being insulted on a lewes forum as for jt i'm all for giving younsters a start in their lives thats why we employ them. 'a restaurant' is a family run restaurant and she feels proud of the fact that she employs multi cultural staff, i was standing next to chaula serving other customers when you were complaining and she wasnt being loud,she was trying to reason with you,at the end of the day you have done what you said which was you were going to bad name her around lewes (well done) but reading all the forum i think this has back fired on you, 'a restaurant' have a lot of loyal customers and i'd like to thank them for that loyalty,As for people making mistakes thats how we learn maybe you will learn from this kevin,
1
 
On 3 Mar 2009 at 9:52am Earl of Lewes wrote:
Agreed. I wouldn't like to live with someone who got so angry about something that is relatively unimportant in the great scheme of things.


I used to work in a shop and although we gave good service, occasionally things went wrong. Most customers would accept our apologies in a mature, reasonable manner, but you'd sometimes get the odd person who would have a little toddler tantrum (ever seen a woman in her 50s stamp her feet because she can't have her own way? It's an unedifying spectacle).


To people like these - Mr Sampson included - I'd like to say 'Get a life'. There are some really important things happening in the world to get angry about. Why not channel your energies into something more useful?

1
1
On 3 Mar 2009 at 12:33pm X Red X wrote:
Well put Earl of Lewes! I am one of Chaula's waitresses and i would like to say 'Get a life' to anyone who writes ridiculous things, not only about the restaurant, but about Chaula herself. As you can tell, Chaula has a lot of fans and thank you to everyone who is loyal. If you don't like Chaula, the service or the food, then clearly there's no pleasing you. If you don't want to come, then don't as JT said its one less problem to deal with.
And for the record, I've worked for Chaula for almost 2yrs now and she's never treated me or any of my colleagues badly. Kevin... Didn't your mother ever tell you- if you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!
 
2
On 3 Mar 2009 at 1:27pm Huge Furry Vegetablestall wrote:
Get it?
1
1
On 3 Mar 2009 at 2:39pm Local wrote:
X Red X wrote: Didn't your mother ever tell you- if you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!
And didn't your mother tell you that in a democracy you don't only have the right to express your opinion, you also have a duty? If your boss has something to say, let her say it herself rather than sending an employee to say it for her.
1
 
On 3 Mar 2009 at 2:42pm what a moron "angry" is wrote:
errm..its not hard to read peoples posts halfway down unless you're a bit blind. People do it all the time. And why do you care so much? Do you have such a sad and lonely little life that you have to complain about this out of everything that goes on in the world? Grow up loser.
 
2
On 3 Mar 2009 at 2:59pm The REAL Chaula wrote:
Im the real Chaula... and i don't think i'm great - i'm just a human being like everyone else. I would like to clear this dispute up as i wasn't rude, kevin was threatening towards me saying that he would bad mouth me to everyone if i didn't take his service charge off the bill. You have no idea how i treat my staff so you have no right to comment. The condiments were filled as you had booked your table, so no-one else had used them... we don't fill them up completely because its wasted otherwise. If you needed more chutneys you should've asked.
'Young Giirls not knowing the food'... would you like me to only employ Indians? I am giving them a chance in life - no other Indian restaurants employ english people.
I'd also like to thank all my loyal customers for their ongoing support.
1
1
On 3 Mar 2009 at 3:04pm X Red X wrote:
...Almost as petty as bitching to the whole of Lewes about 1 bad experience in a restaurant ey?!
1
 
On 3 Mar 2009 at 3:12pm X Red X wrote:
There's democracy and then there's being bitter and slagging Chaula off to everyone (especailly personally) is just childish behaviour.
1
 
On 3 Mar 2009 at 3:36pm mr happy wrote:
I dont think that XRedX was sent by her employer - I think that she was defending her employer after all, her employer had been verbally assaulted and accused of mistreating her staff which her staff are saying is not true. I know that we live in a democracy but also there is a law which does now allow slander.
 
 
On 3 Mar 2009 at 3:45pm mr happy wrote:
Should read - does not allow slander.
1
1
On 3 Mar 2009 at 4:01pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
All this talk about Chaula's made me hungry, so I've just been there for lunch with my wife and kids. As ever, the food was gorgeous and you can eat as much as you like for a fiver.


All Kevin Sampson has achieved is demonstrating what a prat he is and giving Chaula's some free advertising. Nice one Kev!

 
 
On 3 Mar 2009 at 11:35pm Angry of Lewes (Retd) wrote:
Well Walter Moron you really are a peabrain - I try to do you proles a favour by encouraging the illiterati to make their comments more accesible and you completely miss the point - Jackass
1
 
On 4 Mar 2009 at 5:01pm Naughty knickers wrote:
I love dining out in Chaula's and many of my friends do too (infact some travel a long way) I have always found all staff and Chaula nothing but helpful and friendly with a wonderful menu that caters for vegan and gluton and wheat free customers.Oh and Kevin if i had been near you and heard you being horrid to the staff and had a glass of water handy i would of thrown it over you!
 
3
On 5 Mar 2009 at 12:22am Geoff wrote:
Local, I doubt any dignified grown up woman running a business would respond to such a ridiculous thing as a post by an idiot on a local forum (no offence webby) A refusal to engage with such a loony is probably what prompted this crass thread in the first place. If her staff, or someone pretending to be her staff, want to write a perfectly reasonable response, then so what. I think we are all agreed that judging by Kev's own manner, it is a good thing he isn't serving people in his own restaurant, because it would be completely empty.
1
1
On 6 Mar 2009 at 5:14pm Stargazer wrote:
"proles?" "illiterati?" Just because people post halfway down? Theres no law against it is there? I suggest you drop the arrogant attitude and do what the guy said, grow up. You might find people like you better.
 
1
On 6 Mar 2009 at 6:10pm Wind Up Merchant wrote:
Well Stargazer, I can see Angry of Lewes' point.
Think that you must agree that it is irritating it to read this reply to your post because it has been inserted in the wrong area.
 
1
On 6 Mar 2009 at 7:09pm Lewes Laugher wrote:
Stargazer - but you must admit it makes reading difficult. Anyone who posts mid-thread risks not having their post read, and I'm sure that's not what they want.
 
 
On 7 Mar 2009 at 1:37pm anon wrote:
yes he is
1
1
On 7 Mar 2009 at 1:37pm anon wrote:
yes he is
 
1
On 7 Mar 2009 at 1:37pm anon wrote:
yes he is
 
1
On 7 Mar 2009 at 5:56pm Stargazer wrote:
It is at worst mildly irritating and inconvenient but no one should be labelled illiterate because of doing it. Who does the guy think he is?
 
1
On 9 Mar 2009 at 1:34pm Its Not Rocket Science wrote:
Just wanted to thank Kevin Samson for reminding me that I hadnt been to 'a restaurant' for a while. I had a meal there on saturday evening and not only was the food excellent, but the staff looked after us very well too. But why doesn't it have its menus on the takeaway menus page
 
 
On 9 Mar 2009 at 6:08pm Hedwig wrote:
Never been to Chaula's, but have heard good things about them, so will have to give it a go. Not had Indian for too long
1
 
On 9 Mar 2009 at 11:26pm Chinese please wrote:
Not a massive Curry chum if im honest, Chinese all the way, but i do enjoy 'a restaurant', although i've only ever had their Takeaway so im ignorant to the matter of service. But why doesn't it have its menus on the takeaway menus page
On the other less appertising hand i have been to Spice merchants once, and heaven forbid ever again. My curry was like a pool of freshly produced vomit from someone who's previous meal was under cooked chicken and a pint of yellow food colouring. Rice completely drowned in this poor excuse of an edible matter. Then i think to myself well.. the puddings are probably just shop bought and couldn't possibly be harmful to my digestive system, so.. i go ahead and order myself a Bailey's cheesecake.. simple but delicate, very promising.. 30 minutes later my cheesecake arrives, everything looks fine, no burns or sagging. Here goes, i dive in with my spoon, but it isnt met by a gloriously smooth soft creamy texture.. oh no! my hand approaches at a steady momentum, no aggression just pure casual movement and stop. thats it.. my hand stopped, i increased pressure, still nothing, i scraped and stabbed, still my cheesecake appeared unscratched. just sitting there asking itself the question "i look pretty edible, delicious and creamy, why wont he penetrate my perfect outer layer?" i'll tell you why.. it was frozen! HALF AN HOUR!!! and they couldnt even defrost the Tesco's £1.19 cheesecake.
So you can see i had a shocking night, theres no point mentioning the fact that the waiter couldnt understand what i was saying and nor could i him so a complete waste of time and money.
 
 
On 11 Mar 2009 at 11:57am Man Opposite wrote:
Well I was sitting on the oppposite table and I must say Kevin Samsons disruptive and childllike behaviour came to my attention almost has soon has he made his presence known in the room. My meal was completely ruined and so was my evening because of the shouting coming from this man. My wife and I left early because of the distraction so thanks Kevin for ruining my evening with your aggressive behaviour.
IDIOT
 
2
On 11 Mar 2009 at 7:08pm ff wrote:
ddd
1
 
On 12 Mar 2009 at 10:10am Mel wrote:
I know where he is .
1
1
On 12 Mar 2009 at 10:14am i Know wrote:
do you want to know ?
1
3
On 15 May 2009 at 11:25am unknown wrote:
Kevin samson is a low sad lifed idiot he has nothing better to do but make other peoples lifes hell, he doesnt care who he affends he thinks he the best but its obvious he realy isnt that great . kevin samson is now teaching at a school in hastings called buckwood he called me a ignorant child and not normal it is clear to me that he is not normal of has a troubled past of some kind . he also stated ' i would rather be on my own all day and year than around people ' that to me says he is rather ridiculous, maybe everybody should make him feel like he makes everyone else feel .


This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one


 

heading for extinction 43:132
heading for extinction

In the week before lockdown, central government gave local councils several million pounds to enable councils to put all homeless... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde