Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Chandlers development stopped

On 30 Oct 2015 at 3:53pm Janet wrote:
Work on the Chanlers land development seems to have stopped. Anyone know why?

On 30 Oct 2015 at 6:28pm Tumbleweed wrote:
My guess would be no upfront sales , no money coming in ,
On 30 Oct 2015 at 7:38pm Guido wrote:
Builders Xmas break.
On 30 Oct 2015 at 7:53pm Fairmeadow wrote:
Ludicrous prices, too few DFL mugs to fall for them? Halve the prices and it might start to look reasonable. So, development company goes into liquidation, rips off the creditors, site bought back by Developer 2016 Ltd and the project goes ahead after a short delay, during which prices rise. Rip off developers exit with handsome profit.
On 30 Oct 2015 at 8:28pm plumberinlewes wrote:
I can't believe, Fairmeadow; that you forgot that the affordable housing percentile be dropped (as, ahem.. it obviously wasn't achievable, wink wink); so all units will be sold to highest bidder.
On 31 Oct 2015 at 1:53am Peasant wrote:
Unless I misunderstood Mr Carmeron's recent statement the building of traditional "affordable" (=social rented) housing has now ended. Instead developers can build new housing for first time buyers for sale at a 20% discount.
As I understand it developers get reimbursed for the cost of building new social rented housing, but they have to provide the land for nothing, so they make little if any profit. For small market housing units the cost of building is about half the sale cost and the other half is the development land value (=profit, if they bought the land well), so a developer selling a new house with a 20% discount to a first time buyer recovers his building costs plus 60% of the normal profit on the land. Even more of the sale price is development land value for larger units. And of course, if a developer builds any type of "affordable" housing they get let off the new community infrastructure levy, being introduced for new market housing in the parts of Lewes District outside the National Park from 1 October.
Great news for property developers (who for a few thousand can buy breakfast with Cameron, Osborne, etc and bend their ears), and pretty good news for first time buyers (who might well vote Tory).
Devastating news for anyone who is on the council list (but they probably weren't going to vote Tory anyway, and the risk of having the unwashed next door doesn't help you sell your million pound houses).
On 31 Oct 2015 at 10:31pm Belladonna wrote:
1.5 million for a 4 bed house on the river with no garden ? Even the most idiotic buyers would have to be really stupid to pay that. Alongside a river path right in front of your house and no luxury gates to keep the hoi pollo I out. Nope
On 31 Oct 2015 at 11:21pm Ivor Hardy wrote:
With an electricity substation humming away night and day no thanks
On 31 Oct 2015 at 11:44pm Bradley wrote:
It's a dirty old muddy river at that !!

On 1 Nov 2015 at 9:34am Pongo wrote:
That's mostly full of sewage....
On 1 Nov 2015 at 1:57pm Jennifer wrote:
As with all property in this, frankly, premium town, there will be no trouble finding buyers among those who work, or who invest in enterprise, or whose families have been prudent in the past. Therefore, they are affordable. No interference required.

On 3 Nov 2015 at 2:10pm Genelec wrote:
I visited the open house and queried the lack of outside space. "Buyers don't want gardens," I was told by the agent, "most people are putting down astroturf anyway."

25 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Cathedral 65:143
Lewes Cathedral

Google Lewes Resignalling then select Network Rail item. Shows dates more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell