frame-src 'self' data:

Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Calling Computer Geeks For Advice

On 10 Dec 2008 at 8:53pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:

After scanning with my anti-virus, I always run Lavasoft Adaware (free of charge download) and you can guarantee that Adaware always picks up on many tracking cookies that my costly anti-virus fails to detect.
So which, in your opinion, is the best anti-virus package?

On 10 Dec 2008 at 8:56pm Smiler wrote:
Yo Spin
AVG Free or NOD 32
All the big ones Norton, Macafee etc seem to take over your machine and cause more trouble than they're worth

On 10 Dec 2008 at 9:03pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Yo Smiler!
Thanks for advice - did not realise you were a computer geek as well!

On 10 Dec 2008 at 10:54pm Rookie wrote:
McAfee was a pain in the bum. So I went back to AVG antivirus and Zonealarm firewall. No problems now.

On 10 Dec 2008 at 11:48pm Lysdexic wrote:
No anti-virus software will prevent tracker cookies. What you need is Spybot:
safer-networking.org/en/index.html
Run it in safe-mode to get the full benefit. I do actually use a software package that I paid for (I think it's around 10 pound a year), which zaps cookies and stuff as pages load. Prevention is miles better! It's more thorough than any freeware 'cookie cruncher' Let me know if you want the details.

On 11 Dec 2008 at 9:26am Its Not Rocket Science wrote:
I had AVG on my machine but when I updated to the latest version it blocked all my emails. Our IT people at work recommended another free one called Avast which I have been using for a couple of months without any problems.

On 11 Dec 2008 at 10:15am Digga wrote:
I have been using AVG for many years now, but have recently switched to Avast because AVG has been turning in to 'bloatware' (using too many system resources). Avast is a very well respected anti virus program.
Steer clear of Norton or McAffee as these put so much strain on your computer, and make it run a lot slower than it should.
A great little program for removing cookies and other junk is CCleaner (2 c's). This will remove all temporary files as well. You'll be surprised how much junk this program removes.

On 11 Dec 2008 at 6:46pm I dont live in lewes anymore wrote:
Norton is ok but it slooows the computer down.
For spyware I use SpyWare Doctor which you pay for but it makes Spybot and the free version of Adaware look crap.
PhilX

On 11 Dec 2008 at 10:39pm facetious fred wrote:
The best anti-virus package is called a Mac.

On 12 Dec 2008 at 1:34am Stephen wrote:
I'd go with Kaspersky Internet Suite.
It gets the best reviews in the computer magazines.

On 13 Dec 2008 at 4:26pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Thank-you to all the above help and advice - I shall review my Norton package and try a new one.

26 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

One of each 95:132
One of each

She seemed very happy to tell us all about the cycle path in her newsletter of 16 July Sussex. Personally I'm all in favour of... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams