Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Caddy liners

On 10 Sep 2013 at 2:04pm ladytron wrote:
Hello
Just wondered if anyone has found anywhere cheaper than the website the council points you to to buy replacement liners for the food caddies. There seem to be a lot out there on ebay etc but not all are compostable, just not sure which are best value for money?
And yes I know it sucks we have to pay for them and buy our own but why should we be surprised with our council.
On 10 Sep 2013 at 3:12pm SHS wrote:
I assumed the plastic bin was a well-earned gift and now use it in the garden for special soil - no-one said we were supposed to recycle food waste in them.
On 10 Sep 2013 at 3:28pm brixtonbelle wrote:
ladytron. You can use newspapers to line your caddy. I plan to do that when the freebies run out.
On 10 Sep 2013 at 3:37pm Moneybags wrote:
Loosen the purse strings a little brixtonbelle. They're not gold bars!

On 10 Sep 2013 at 3:41pm ladytron wrote:
Thanks Brixtonbelle, I was wondering if newspapers would do the job. SHS yes someone did say that we were supposed to recycle food in them and i want to recycle food as it has considerably cut down the amount of general refuse I create.
On 10 Sep 2013 at 3:42pm Honest and direct wrote:
I'm not a skin flint but the council have 2 choices. Supply me with free replacement bags when the time comes or my food waste reverts to the general waste bin. Simple.
On 10 Sep 2013 at 3:51pm Yer.. wrote:
Supply me with free replacement bags or the Bunny Gets It!
In the Bin. Simple!
On 10 Sep 2013 at 4:39pm Guy wrote:
We've purchased an incinerator, great for getting rid of the bulk of junk mail, personal correspondence and packaging as well as some garden waste. Ash is useful on the garden comaost heap too. Now only have to put out a third of what we did before. And it saves Newhaven having to cope with it
On 10 Sep 2013 at 6:18pm xplorer1 wrote:
Guy, and another benefit is that you must really p*ss the eneighbours off.
On 10 Sep 2013 at 8:05pm Sussex Jim wrote:
I too burn personal mail and packaging on the garden bonfire. But any unadressed mail that is obviously a circular goes back into the Royal Mail postbox.
On 10 Sep 2013 at 9:16pm cretin wrote:
Complete waste of our money - stopped using after first week - as a couple we don't have that much spare food beyond the recycling bin that goes to the compost bin ready for sifting by the free-range chooks. I will find a use for the bloody thing one day - anyone want to buy some unwanted liners?:p

Check it out here »

On 11 Sep 2013 at 9:34am 'Er Indoors wrote:
I bought 'all-green' caddy liners (Amazon 5 for 50), having used up the free ones. These are better in my opinion, as well as cheaper. They are 6 litre (the caddy is 5) and the bottom of the liners are cross shaped and fit in the bottom of the caddy much better. As such, you can get much more in each liner, before needing to replace them, so each liner should last longer than the free ones did (was lucky to get 2 days out of each). As the bags are a bit bigger, they are also much easier to tie up when full and they still sit nicely round the rim of the caddy without excessive overhang.
On another point, I don't see why people think the council should give us free liners. They don't give us free bin liners, so why should they give us free caddy liners? It's our waste and we have to be responsible for it. The more that goes in the caddy, the less that goes in the bin, so presumably fewer bin liners - which also cost money - will get used? Given that you can line the caddy with newspaper, as a free alternative, this seems to be a non-issue to me.

On 11 Sep 2013 at 5:30pm queequeg wrote:
Newspaper is a great idea - until you try it. It quickly goes soggy, you lift out to put in the bigger container and then have to scoop it all up again from the floor.

On 12 Sep 2013 at 2:37pm . wrote:
Try Tesco they do them

On 13 Sep 2013 at 3:28pm belladonna wrote:
Yes newspaper is a bit more messy, but you can tip the caddy straight into the bigger bin (well I have done that and its fine) and not create a mess. I find the other liners leak anyway,so not much difference in having to clean out the bins.

22 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Harveys Brewery 40:132
Harveys Brewery

New highly rated management. 2 very good new players signed already and plenty more to come. This season could be very... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy