Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Bye then

On 1 Jun 2015 at 1:49pm Southover Queen wrote:
SQ is retiring. I'm sorry to see her go but pretty fed up with being pursued by one individual, currently calling himself "numerate" but has had many pseudonyms - people will remember a particularly intemperate poster called "theologian" but there have been countless others.

I am not going into details because my lawyer advises me not to; let's just say it's personal and it's been going on for years.

I would like to say that I have not sought to offend, and if I have then I apologise; I enjoy robust debate as much as many others here. I certainly don't intend to be "condescending", but rather have tried to express my thoughts and arguments coherently and literately: perhaps that's why.

In the past I have been "outed" here, and reaped actual physical consequences, such as people ringing my doorbell in the small hours, and damaging my car. Perhaps that was just a coincidence, but it didn't feel like that.

So this is Southover Queen signing off. I'm sure I'll continue to visit and enjoy a scrap here occasionally, but with a different name.
On 1 Jun 2015 at 2:37pm Kettle wrote:
Absolutely horrendous. You will be missed sq.
I hope the person hounding you has a long hard look at himself.
On 1 Jun 2015 at 3:41pm Belladonna wrote:
Sorry to see you go SQ. Your contributions have always enhanced debate on this forum. But I totally get your reasons. It's really not worth the hassle.
I hear tell of another local Lewes website and forum (although I have yet to find it) that I'm hoping may be more civilised
On 1 Jun 2015 at 3:56pm Localbod wrote:
This is what happens when a site fails to enforce the posting terms and conditions which ensure freedom of speech. The site should be so useful but is increasingly unusable.
On 1 Jun 2015 at 4:12pm Merlin Milner wrote:
Great shame that you are leaving. I hope that this serves notice on those who give the Forum a bad name. When I first went on over 10 years ago as it was fun, irreverent and sometimes erudite. Sadly, as with much social media, it has become rude, nasty and childish in parts. Let be polite and adult when it comes to discussing important Lewes matters.
On 1 Jun 2015 at 4:16pm Bodlocal wrote:
No this is what happens when a idiot/dick can't control themselves!
On 1 Jun 2015 at 4:17pm bastian wrote:
Don't lose heart, not everyone on here is foul, you can just withdraw for some repite and return at will. You are brave to keep your posting name, braver than the idiots who scorn you. Thank you for your intersting posts, one slip up can be put aside by the rest of us, who cares, we all do it now and then.
On 1 Jun 2015 at 4:21pm Belladonna wrote:
Agree Meelin - even far years ago there was far more fun on this forum

On 1 Jun 2015 at 4:44pm FA wrote:
Met some fantasic people on here, including Webbo and some have turned out to be really good friends now.
On 1 Jun 2015 at 4:55pm Mme B wrote:

SQ You have given kind and wise advise to people on many occasions, and I am so sorry that you are leaving under such circumstances. You will be greatly missed. If there is another, better behaved, Lewes Forum, I do hope I get to hear of it.
In the meantime, I look forward to possible posts under an alias. But you will need to change your style so as not to be spotted!
On 1 Jun 2015 at 4:56pm localbod wrote:
One or two idiots yes. Unfortunately it is one or two idiots whose behaviour is allowed to flourish, despite there being the means to curtail it. That is why people have drifted off elsewhere, worsening the site, and increasing the impact of the idiots.
On 1 Jun 2015 at 5:59pm Old Bloke wrote:
Someone needs to grow a pair
Sticks and stones
On 1 Jun 2015 at 6:24pm Sad wrote:
This is so sad.
On 1 Jun 2015 at 6:30pm Old Bloke 2 wrote:
I would like to retract my previous comment, I had forgotten to take my meds and was in a bad state. It is a very sad day when someone feels the need to stop doing something because of one person.
On 1 Jun 2015 at 6:35pm Rattle Stick wrote:
Old Bloke, grow what tomatoes?
You need to grow up & cease from rattling your walking stick so much!
On 1 Jun 2015 at 7:10pm CLOWSIE wrote:
SQ please don't go, you will be missed. You have added to this forum. We have some nasty trolls on this site, don't let them bully you.
On 1 Jun 2015 at 7:20pm Old Bloke wrote:
Some double standards on offer from the hand wringing weaklings that come on here
Somehow I don't feel the need to consult my lawyer
On 1 Jun 2015 at 7:23pm Bay City Roller wrote:
Bye bye Baby, Baby, bye bye.
On 1 Jun 2015 at 7:31pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
This is very sad, and not the first someone has been hounded to the point where they feel they can no longer contribute here.
People who've been on here for a few years will remember the appalling bullying and character assassination dished out to a poster called Spinster of this Parish. She is still missed by many, as I am sure SQ will be.
People really need to grow up, before this forum becomes totally dominated by puerile eejits.
On 1 Jun 2015 at 8:13pm Signalman wrote:
So sorry to see you hounded out SQ - what are we going to be left with? Paul Newman and his right-wing political rants, Old Bloke with his head buried in the Daily Express, Country Boy with his ill-informed views etc. I think I'll visit far less often now and then only to see if bastian has posted something.
On 1 Jun 2015 at 8:43pm No Pot Pourri wrote:
I am always keen to read the thoughts of SQ, Merlin, ACT etc. Still think fondly of SoTP and Chav. Don't let it be forever!
Quite how anyone could get so worked up by your views, which are hardly brutal, I am not sure.
I feel that some here are intimidated because you are able to argue your point articulately and intelligently.
I don't always agree with what you say but I do enjoy robust and reasoned debate.
On 1 Jun 2015 at 9:40pm Legion wrote:
The forum needs a system whereby one username is registered to one person . Nothing wrong with a bit of banter but this is not good
On 1 Jun 2015 at 9:42pm Zebedee wrote:
As far as I was aware SQs stalker followed her here from a forum she runs, so blaming the Lewes Forum or thevpeioke that use it is not correct nor fair.

Posting under different user names is not so bad. Many people do it. ;-]
On 1 Jun 2015 at 9:47pm Min of the vpeioke wrote:
Ibba gibble nib noo
On 1 Jun 2015 at 10:49pm Tipex wrote:
Take some time to reflect SQ. You'll be hugely missed.
On 2 Jun 2015 at 12:44am Local wrote:
Not the first flounce! S/he will be back, both in SQ guise and the already-promised others.
On 2 Jun 2015 at 2:27am King of Sussex wrote:
Like the little girl thatís been caught red handed, Paul Newman attempts a tearful claim that he is the innocent victim in all of this, despite having penned, far and away, the nastiest ad hominem attacks. Some of them at SQ.
Remind me someone, why are they called the Nasty Party?
On 2 Jun 2015 at 8:08am Weary wrote:
The fundamental point here is that none of this nasty trolling would happen if users were forced to register (like every other forum in the universe).
I'm all for freedom of speech, but some of the stuff I have read on this forum over the years is just completely unacceptable.

On 2 Jun 2015 at 8:37am Tipex wrote:
Yep registration is definitely the way to go. Webbo?
On 2 Jun 2015 at 8:57am Passing By wrote:
It's a sad time when people are bullied for their differing opinion. This doesnt stop at this forum, but also on other platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. Diasgreeing with someone over a debate is not the problem, its when you loose control and resort to mindless name calling. To me, that shows that you have already lost the argument, as you have run out of educated things to say. SQ, you will be missed, but I understand your need to remove yourself from such treatment. Sometimes the only thing you can do is remove yourself (or for Facebook/Twitter other) from the argument before it ecelates even more

On 2 Jun 2015 at 9:26am Janet street preacher wrote:
@legion I think there is a way to reserve your username.
There is a registration page somewhere on this site isn't there Webbo?
On 2 Jun 2015 at 9:32am SQ wrote:
Before Local crows "look she couldn't stay away", there are some things raised in this thread which probably need addressing.

There *is* a big problem of misogyny on social media, and I think there is an element of that in this forum. Generally I couldn't give a stuff, but it certainly exists.

There are some extraordinarily waspish regulars here too. I shan't name them, but you never see them offer a kind word or answer a straight question. They do set up an atmosphere of hostility and name-calling which is really unpleasant. There are others I've disagreed with fundamentally, like Sussex Jim, but who always try to conduct themselves honourably and with grace.

However petty name calling by local keyboard warriors isn't the reason for me going. SQ is a target for someone (actually two people working together) who have, for the last six years, run a campaign across social media to harm my livelihood and damage my reputation. In fact, unless I'm much mistaken, one of them attempted to "out" me yesterday. So I'm retiring SQ because they know me and will continue to target me. They may have their suspicions about my next alter-ego on this forum, but no proof. It's not a question, as Old Bloke suggests, of running scared or not being prepared to fight my corner: the Lewes forum has become the final place they dare to target me and I've really had enough.
On 2 Jun 2015 at 9:44am Celine wrote:
SQ, why are they doing this? Why do they hate you so much? Do they know each other?

On 2 Jun 2015 at 9:50am Sussex Jim wrote:
SQ, I will miss you. But I hope to see you back sometime in the future.
On 2 Jun 2015 at 10:42am Shameful wrote:
@Celine, yes--they do know her and have been cyber-bullying her for years. I have been privy to this years-long situation and 'numerate' (he has many names, though chose this as his alias this time for his relentless posts) has been warned through legal channels countless times to essentially cease and desist. It's sad and scary how this pathetic little man clutches on to his hatred. I'm of the understanding that Webbo does his best but it's difficult with such an obsessive personality. True mental illness, which is indeed to be pitied--though the harm it's doing tends to mitigate any compassionate tendencies towards him.
On 2 Jun 2015 at 11:18am Webbo wrote:
Very sorry to see you go SQ.
It is a great shame that some threads get hijacked by spiteful posters but lets not lose sight that there are a lot of positive/useful threads (Huws call for Michael, Phoebes lost passport, Local 60s clubs, TTIP, Weather vane etc etc.)
I hope that overall this forum is a useful and valuable resource for Lewes in spite of the few that have difficulty being civil.

BTW. It is possible to reserve your username by registering but you will need to log in each time you want to use the name

Check it out here »
On 2 Jun 2015 at 1:29pm Shameful wrote:
See what I mean by obsession and mental illness? The incident he is ranting about took place many years ago and was not nearly as egregious as he makes out. Webbo, is there any way to block his IP or is he posting from a number of them? This is a very damaged soul who likely needs to be edited/censored for his own good--as legal action can now follow.
On 2 Jun 2015 at 11:13pm Celine wrote:
Sounds like a personality disorder issue to me. Very problematic to deal with.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Lewes inferno 69:132
Lewes inferno

I'm sad to not be on your book shelf amongst the great works of D.Icke or L. Ron Hubbard et al. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine