Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Buskers - plugged or unplugged?

On 7 Mar 2016 at 11:42pm Acoustic wrote:
I was in the Tesco car park the other day and could hear someone singing. I looked around, but couldn't see anyone. Then I eventually worked out that it was a busker on Cliffe Bridge. Not content with relying on passers-by, he'd got a loudspeaker so that half of Lewes could hear him.
I've nothing against buskers, but is it right that they can amplify their music? It must be hell for anyone who works in one of the nearby shops and not everyone wants to hear old John Lennon numbers at full blast when they're out shopping. With 'old school' buskers, if you liked the music you could stay and listen, but if you didn't, you walked on and it faded away. Is it time the council stepped in and pulled the plug, so that only acoustic buskers are permitted?
On 8 Mar 2016 at 7:24am lewes resident wrote:
totally agree, no amplification in fact I would ban buskers full stop, so annoying and mostly second rate at what they do.
On 8 Mar 2016 at 8:26am Tractor wrote:
Amplified buskers should definitely be banned.
On 8 Mar 2016 at 10:21am Clifford wrote:
What's happened to Brian, the busker who plays the Turkish instrument? Haven't seen him around for a while.
On 8 Mar 2016 at 11:30am Richard wrote:
Changing the subject slightly, but what is it with these people currently offering CDs for a 'penny or two' ? You can't walk through Brighton without being approached and yesterday there was a pair of them in Lewes.
On 8 Mar 2016 at 1:51pm Trooper wrote:
@ Richard. A very good point, I have seen and have attempted to play two of these CDs on behalf of a neighbour (elderly lady purchased for grandchild) they were total rubbish, one was blank and the second one the so called "music" was dreadful. CAVEAT EMPTOR.
On 8 Mar 2016 at 6:38pm Wag wrote:
Caveat Emptor and Procul Harum are two of my favourte bands.
On 8 Mar 2016 at 7:04pm Rosiecheeks wrote:
I was in lewes yesterday for lunch and was stopped 3 times in Cliffe area by people trying to sell me folk CDs. I would rather listen to buskers (plugged or unplugged) than being harassed by sellers of rubbish.
On 8 Mar 2016 at 11:28pm ear defenders required wrote:
Perhaps LDC could follow London Undergrounds stance on this and have "licenced buskers" ? Ie they would need to book "slots" for playing at approved busking spots eg Cliffe bridge. That way at least there is some filter on the quality of the busking and rules could be enforced eg no amps. It would serve the genuine buskers as opposed to some of the sh*te that you often have to endure when shopping!
On 9 Mar 2016 at 4:41am Horseman7 wrote:
I'm happy for Threepenny Bit to be a bit noisy. Quality busking.
On 9 Mar 2016 at 10:01pm Are ya local wrote:
Can you just imagine what it must be like for us residents of the High St. ?? The repetitive amplified noise of people attempting to play over rubbish elevator recordings, the repetitive amplified noise of people attempting to play over rubbish elevator recordings. Booming through our homes on a a Saturday morning and it's your only lay in all week. Amplified or not, it's all bloody irritating!
On 10 Mar 2016 at 7:46am lewes resident wrote:
it must be so irritating if you live on the High Street, after all it's not as if we have invited these Buskers to disturb our day out in the town. Definitely should be banned.
On 10 Mar 2016 at 5:36pm Acoustic wrote:
Glad to see that there's a general consensus. I enjoy good buskers and live music can add a bit of spirit to a place, but backing tracks and speakers are beyond the pale. I'm going to write to the Council and see if there's anything they can do.
On 10 Mar 2016 at 6:53pm Mavis wrote:
Make them pay a performing fee, so we can have our nighttime lighting back, or is it gone FOREVER .
On 11 Mar 2016 at 2:56pm Tipex wrote:
There are some incredible buskers out there who, because of the instrument they play, need to have backing tracks (trumpet or violin for eg). I guess it's not whether they use amplifiers that's the issue - it's the volume they set them at.
On 11 Mar 2016 at 9:18pm astrid wrote:
I think it is really mean to say ban buskers! No heart. Amplifiers not a good idea though and shouldn't be allowed esp, if it is disturbing people.There is a women who sits in the walk way leading down the side of WHSMITH who is pretty awful. It doesn't ruin my day she doesn't annoy me I feel sad for her. However she got in that situation, even if she buys drugs with the money.People who don't show any sympathy bug me far more than someone who has not had good opportunities or the strength/support to take them when they are presented with them trying to make some money.
On 11 Mar 2016 at 9:49pm lewes resident wrote:
Why would anyone want to listen to singers trying to sing? instrumentalists scraping away playing out of tune, it's just a form of begging and trying to earn money quickly without actually doing any hard work.
On 12 Mar 2016 at 8:37pm astrid wrote:
lewes resident how very snobby of you!!! most of them have not had a good life, stuck in a rut. they should be met with sympathy and understanding. your kind of thinking is what makes this country bad. even local shop workers that have no choice but to listen are more charitable than you!! what a shame!!!!
On 13 Mar 2016 at 12:37am Lewes Visitor wrote:
Ito be hones I think they are trying to earn a few quid. If I was a busker, the perfect spot would be outside Percy's...... get the passing trade from Le Magasin and also Bills!!

On 13 Mar 2016 at 7:55pm Meic wrote:
As I remember, there was a local by-law passed some years ago that made the use of electric amplification by buskers in the town square illegal. I don't think it has ever been applied, but perhaps it's time it was.

On 12 Apr 2017 at 8:35pm Harry drums wrote:
You miserable bunch!!! I cant wait to get my drums down there and busk all day just to annoy you! I'm a professional musician and nearly all the buskers i hear around Lewes are fantastic. Busking is a way to earn a few extra bob and get your music heard. The world would be a very boring, grey place with out music and its great to hear it ringing out over the streets, good or bad. And if you think its easy, think again! Have a go at learning an instrument and then playing to grumpy passers by all day who didn't appreciate your efforts.
On 23 Jun 2017 at 3:29pm Resident wrote:
Grumpy gits on here. Just politely ask them to turn it down a bit not hard is it ! ?
A lot of buskers need an amplifier unfortunately some are a little loud. It can be turned down though. It is anybodys right to busk and is a real art form. Get more buskers out there i say!

15 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Crest 66:132
Lewes Crest

These cultural events get many thousands of people off their arses, flicking around their ipads, and get them actually out there... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like BONFIRE NIGHT, and of course all the out-meetings which go on around this time - and the loud bang at the crack of dawn!
Jojo