Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Businesses that lewes lacks? DVD/pizza delivery?

On 10 Feb 2010 at 12:10pm Tom Newman wrote:
Hi all,
What do you think our town needs most? Does the fact that you cant order pizzas annoy you? does driving to Uckfield for a DVD grate? Let me know.
Bit of market research - if lewes had an online library of dvds, and once you'd ordered one it was dropped to your door within an hour, would that go down well?
Thanks.

On 10 Feb 2010 at 12:20pm Sherlock wrote:
No, there are better on-line DVD rentals with a wider range than any shop can hope to stock. Back to the drawing board Tom.

On 10 Feb 2010 at 12:33pm Commuter wrote:
With big companies such as Lovefilm that are easily accessible I don't think a DVD rental shop is that needed - anyone without the internet etc. could use the library's DVDs. Pizza's on the other hand would be good! my other half would love to see a pizza place in Lewes.
Tom - personally I don't think Lewes would benefit much from it's own online DVD library as there are plenty of big companies out there already (admittedly, the DVD being dropped to you door within an hour does sound pretty good!)

On 10 Feb 2010 at 1:03pm Down and Out wrote:
I used MGM a lot, and I wish someone would reopen another place. I was in Lovefilm for a while but didn't really find it that useful. The way it (used to work) for us was a) look what's on telly this evening; b) if there's nothing on, decide what we fancy watching - ie obscure Czech art-house or Bruce Willis blow-'em-up; c) nip down MGM at 6 or 7pm. Also, when the kids decide to have a last minute sleepover and need a stash of Reece Witherspoon crap to last all night. Lovefilm's no use in these situations. The library does a roaring trade, although their opening hours and stock are a bit limited, so I'm sure a shop would still work for a few more years. iTunes only has a very small range of recent Hollywood stuff and nothing else.

On 10 Feb 2010 at 4:49pm Alex wrote:
Tom, delivered to your door is a nice touch. Would you be able to return the films easily as well? It's returning rentals on time that's the killer for a lot of people. Lovefilm's big sales pitch is no more late fees.

DVD rentals is a business guaranteed to diminish each year, though, rather than grow, as broadband speeds increase, more and more legal online options will open up for instant film rentals, and more people will get new TVs that they realise they can plug a computer into. However, if you can get access to a pre-existing film library cheaply, which would be the biggest startup cost, and it's more an extra revenue stream for a pizza delivery business, you could be onto something.

On 10 Feb 2010 at 5:17pm Michael Carroll wrote:
Maccy D plz although i would stoop to a BK

On 10 Feb 2010 at 6:03pm MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote:
MC I hope you are kidding!!! Lewes, Maccy D, ain't ever going to happen!
More chance of the pope having a second home here!
Pound shop would be useful though Tom.

On 11 Feb 2010 at 8:28am Prick Stein wrote:
KFC, and any shop not selling, twine, hemp, bits of string, the Guardian, coffee and other useless paraphanalia!

On 11 Feb 2010 at 8:57am Sherlock wrote:
One day Prick Stein people will be coming to Lewes just to see the twine shops. I bet you look forward to that day as much as I do. I was hoping the recession wold close a few of those places but no such luck as they are essentially hobbyist shops.

On 11 Feb 2010 at 10:04am Illegal Downloader wrote:
Pay to watch a film? Are you people nuts? You'll be telling me you buy music next!

On 11 Feb 2010 at 11:23am Brixtonbelle wrote:
Have to say that I do miss the pound shops.They can be excellent value and now Woolies is gone, they are great for kids wanting to spend their pocket money. My daughter recently bought a box of guache paints and a pad of good cartridge paper in 99p shop - for the grand price of 1.98.
Is there one near Lewes ?

On 11 Feb 2010 at 1:38pm dfe wrote:
We need a subway or dominoes

On 11 Feb 2010 at 3:59pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Another pizza place? There are already four places that sell pizza in town and all it takes is a quick call to S&G to get it delivered.
DVD shops are already a slightly anachronistic idea and as the concept of streaming movies on demand over the internet catches on, they'll become less and less viable.
Lewes needs a toy shop or a pound shop really. Despite the high proportion of twine emporia in town, we're well served as far as daily shop type places, butchers, fish mongers, green grocers etc.

On 11 Feb 2010 at 5:10pm Mystic Mog wrote:
A Primark type shop would be useful.

On 11 Feb 2010 at 6:47pm Pizza lover wrote:
Definitely a pizza delivery place, we moved here 6 years ago and we still miss Dominoes!
If you do open a pizza delivery place will you deliver to the villages outside lewes?
:-)
Good luck!

On 11 Feb 2010 at 11:26pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
How can you love pizza and miss Dominoes ? Shurely that some sort of perversion ?

On 12 Feb 2010 at 3:37pm Sherlock wrote:
Anyone who thinks Dominoes sell pizza probably thinks Starbucks sell coffee.

On 12 Feb 2010 at 6:10pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
There used to be a pizza place that delivered, opposite Boots. It failed due to lack of interest.

19 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Boroughs tableau 2015 12:132
Boroughs tableau 2015

I'm grateful for Nevillman starting this discussion and being so generous as to refer back to me. My delay in saying anything... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell