Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Bunces closed

On 19 Jan 2019 at 3:01pm Dave wrote:
Staff illness apparently
On 19 Jan 2019 at 5:15pm Bert wrote:
Being run into the ground. Sad.
On 20 Jan 2019 at 7:23am Fifi wrote:
Went in on Friday - requested 2 items which were both out of stock . Staff said they eould have them in in a month or so ! A lot of the shelves were empty . Went to Homebase .
On 20 Jan 2019 at 11:22am Green Sleeves wrote:
It's the kind of shop that would have thrived a couple of decades ago, but has long been overshadowed by bigger chain retailers, supermarkets and the internet.

Time is a cruel mistress, but this is the direction of travel, and not even leaving the EU will revert our high street shops back to the "good old days". Perhaps high streets should morph more into homes instead....instead of just more betting/vape/charity shops or cafes.
On 20 Jan 2019 at 7:09pm Tom Pain wrote:
Nice one GS, I don't think anyone could fit as many clichés into so little.
On 21 Jan 2019 at 11:21am Clifford wrote:
I have to ask, Greensleeves, but what has Brexit got to do with small shops closing?
On 21 Jan 2019 at 4:29pm bored2 wrote:
There was a decent bit in 'Sunday Politics South East' about this yesterday.

Conservative MP proposed and Labour MP agreed. Shrinking the 'high street' is inevitable with online/out of town stores and we should concentrate shops in smaller ares and use the buildings freed up to provide housing for older people. They are more likely to visit these shops and provides them with easier opportunities to socailise.

Knock on effect of freeing up some housing further out for younger people who are more mobile and shop online more.

They shoe horned Brexit in there too. Generally people will be a little poorer which will affect retail so conditions for high street traders will get worse.
On 22 Jan 2019 at 9:57am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Bunces has always been a bit rubbish imo: poor range, unhelpful staff, chaotic shop. I reckon people only go in there because Homebase is so crap.
It's odd, because other shops that trade under that "Home Hardware" brand are excellent. The one in Petworth is great, despite Petworth being so tiny that it's a wonder it has a hardware store at all.
A couple of times I've ended up going to Seaford for things, because neither Bunces or Homebase has them. How Seaford manages to sustain 2 hardware shops, I have no idea.

On 22 Jan 2019 at 12:21pm Bert wrote:
So it was being run down. Apparently all their shops have closed now ! Thanks for the thumbs down folks.
On 26 Jan 2019 at 10:41pm Visitor wrote:
Staff always so lovely and helpful. Shane it's shut down

27 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Martyrs 71:132
Lewes Martyrs

A lot will depend on how long the lockdown goes on for as this will determine the state of the economy. It would be nice to think... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington