Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Bunces

7
2
On Sun 27 Jan at 3:04pm Over the bridge wrote:
Looks like they've closed down.
Another empty shop in Cliffe makes two this month:
Bunces
Darcey
Luckily 27 of the 39 branches of Steamer Trading have been bought including the Lewes branch.
13
26
On Sun 27 Jan at 3:22pm nancy wrote:
Look down about 20 threads and you'll see more.
18
21
On Sun 27 Jan at 6:01pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
We all lament the death of the High street, though weíre all complicit in its demise.
As an item may be ordered on a late Saturday afternoon with it arriving Sunday morning, then there really is no hope for it
Though I hear Clifford still pops in Hunts to order coal
22
10
On Sun 27 Jan at 6:02pm Over the bridge wrote:
Thanks Nancy but I think if you look down at the previous thread it was talking about Bunces being closed and not closed down.
31
16
On Sun 27 Jan at 6:24pm Nevillman wrote:
High prices, mostly not very polite staff, limited range, Screwfix and homebase not far away with much cheaper prices and better service. Either someone will start a shop that meets enough needs or it reverts to being a house. Sad for anyone made redundant but most people have to face that at some point. I think there are other shops that could survive there.
19
30
On Sun 27 Jan at 10:56pm Malling resident wrote:
Poundland would be good
13
15
On Mon 28 Jan at 9:52am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Is it definitely closed then? I'm not surprised.
I doubt if there'd be enough footfall at that end of the High Street for Poundland to be interested. It'll probably end up being another coffee shop.
2
6
On Mon 28 Jan at 10:23am Malling resident wrote:
@act you could be right but then the word of mouth would bring more and then it may help the other shops too
11
9
On Mon 28 Jan at 10:43am Dave wrote:
Yup itís gone
Thereís a not in the window saying ĎAny enquiries contact...í
Where am I going to get my dangerous chemicals from now?
15
11
On Mon 28 Jan at 10:47am andymac wrote:
From a bit of googling, it looks like other Bunces branches have closed over the last few days, so I presume it's not specific to Lewes.
15
16
On Mon 28 Jan at 10:54am Buzzard wrote:
Tootth Fairy - in a sense we are all complicit, but only because we act in self interest which is what orthodox economics says we ought to do. No one person on their own can save the High Street (or our habitable planet). If you try on your own, you end up spending more but lose anyway. Only co-ordinated action through government - by taxing online sales (or fossil fuels) - can do it.
10
19
On Mon 28 Jan at 1:26pm Nevillman wrote:
I disagree with tooth fairy that we all lament the 'death of the high street'. If shops in the high street revert to being houses (which I am sure a large number of them were built as) that is not the death of the high street. Over 22% of all sales are now online because people prefer to buy online. There must be fewer shops as a result of that. The idea suggested of taxing online purchases is ridiculous. I have no desire to pay to subsidise a high street that I use increasingly rarely. If you prefer to walk down a high street of shops rather than houses, that is up to you. Don't expect tax payers to pay for your enjoyment.
21
12
On Mon 28 Jan at 4:07pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I'd have no objection to paying a small amoubnt of additional tax for online purchases, say 1-2% or thereabouts. It would still work out less than paying for parking and imo would be a small price to pay for a vibrant, economically active town centre.
Mind you, if Amazon paid a fair amount ot tax on the business they do in the UK, it would probably be enough to reduce business rates and keep the shops open anyway.
13
22
On Mon 28 Jan at 11:21pm Clifford wrote:
I find it really difficult to understand why we should keep 'the shops' open when fewer people are choosing to use them. I don't remember a middle class campaign to keep 'the mines' open in the 1980s. There weren't always High Street shops and if they die then that is because that is the way the economy develops.
6
7
On Tue 29 Jan at 12:28am Bert wrote:
Correct Clifford. Was Bunces a self service shop or were the staff there to serve ? I could never decide, it was certainly nothing like their other shops.
14
11
On Tue 29 Jan at 8:06am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I think the main argument is the same, Clifford: jobs.

But there are others. Not everyone has internet access and some aren't computer literate, going out to shop has a social aspect so it helps to reduce isolation, shoppers help keep other businesses going (ok, mainly coffee shops but pubs, too). My mother-in-law doesn't shop online as she only has a basic post office account and therefore no card to pay with (proper old school, doesn't trust banks). She still does everything in cash.

I'd be interested to know if people spend more when they shop in person. I know I often come home with "impulse buys" that I had no intention of getting when I set out, I don't think that happens with internet shopping.

Btw, I was in favour of keeping the mines open, too!
5
3
On Fri 1 Feb at 2:05pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Pray tell, why were you in favour of keeping the mines open?
The railway stopped using coal in the sixties. The coal fired power stations were being decommissioned. Who was to buy this coal? Apart from your Christmas evening open fire, there really isnít a market for it
Classic Labour policy of keeping things going long after their usefulness had expired purely to please the unions. That era, thankfully is over. We have the baroness to thank for that


20 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Lewesian Sky 94:137
Lewesian Sky

Is that why these wonderfully responsible landowners were so happy to let everyone smell their sewage for so long before leaving... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde