Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Brown resigns

On 11 May 2010 at 8:03pm not from around here wrote:
Gordon Brown just resigned, Cameron on his way to see the Queen.

On 11 May 2010 at 8:10pm MC wrote:
Well I never

On 11 May 2010 at 8:11pm Old Cynic wrote:
Well hold on tight folks it's gonna be a very bumpy ride! Any predictions on what gets cut first and when will the next election be????

On 11 May 2010 at 8:16pm MC wrote:
What a resignation speech. So sad. I feel so sorry for the bloke... and sadly I suspect that he would have been the best of all the candidates to take us through the coming turbulence.

On 11 May 2010 at 8:28pm Old cynic wrote:
Agreed he showed dignity a quality sadly lacking in the desperate horse trading for Number 10. End of an era

On 11 May 2010 at 8:58pm not from around here wrote:
Well, let's wait and see. Tories are now in full coalition with Lib-dems. And I disagree, I think Cameron is excellent and is the best person to lead the country at the moment. Nick Clegg and Cameron may well work well together in the national interest.
What will be cut first? Who knows, but one thing is sure - we need dramatic cuts in public spending if we are to avoid becoming like Greece..

On 11 May 2010 at 9:03pm just down wrote:
first cuts will be school's,hospital's student funding last will be bankers bonuses etc

On 11 May 2010 at 9:20pm Red Ken wrote:
Just don't get ill, old or poor. The scumbag Tories won't want to know you.

On 11 May 2010 at 9:26pm not from around here wrote:
Well I hope that any cuts are fair (and bear in mind that this is a coalition with Lib-Dems) - but the simple fact is we HAVE to make dramatic cuts, there is no choice. Universities should be cut, schools should be cut - a lot. Hospitals, well that's more controversial.
It's a little simplistic to say that Tories don't want to know you if you are old, sick or poor isn't it? You might as well say that a Labour government unwilling to make the cuts would lead us all to financial oblivion and who would suffer then? The sick, the old, the poor, that's who.

On 11 May 2010 at 9:30pm TeeHee wrote:
We should cut MPs first, starting with the cabinet.

On 11 May 2010 at 9:43pm jrsussex wrote:
Pointless discussion, whichever of the parties took power we all knew there were going to be some very unpopular decisions made to get the UK out of the mess it is in. Anybody not aware of that has been in a rip van winkle sleep for the last 2 years.

On 11 May 2010 at 9:53pm MC wrote:
I think the Regional Development Agencies's ought to be abolished first. Certainly the sheer inefficiency, incompetence and wastefulness demonstrated by the South East England Development Agency (SEEDA) makes it a very good candidate.

On 11 May 2010 at 10:02pm MC wrote:
And then there's the quangos... the myriads of organisations that do nothing or that do virtually the same thing as the next quango/agency with a similarly impenetrable name.

Hmmm... cutting could be fun.... there's so much flab out there I'm sure we could save shed loads without touching Education or Health.

How about child benefit. None for any family whose income is over £20kpa or for any but the first child.

Reduction of population (so less need for services). Stop immigration. Increased tax levels for families with more than one child.

Max wage paid by State capped to 70k

On 11 May 2010 at 11:14pm just down wrote:
jr if this is a pointless discussion what on earth iIs worth discussing? and i am sure by now we are all aware of the situation

On 11 May 2010 at 11:57pm jr wrote:
just down - that there are going to be some severe cuts is not worth discussing is my point. What those cuts should be is worthy of debate. Certainly agree that most quangos should go, as should consultants, the fraud costing literally millions in the NHS, the unbelievable cost of agency staff within the NHS. If financial waste by goverrnment and local authorities could be cut the benefit would be such that those cuts we fear need not occur.

On 12 May 2010 at 8:30am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
While I'd love to see a maximum wage, MC, there's more chance of my dogs learning to sing the national anthem than that happening under this mob.

On 12 May 2010 at 8:34am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
When you say quangos should go, JR, do you mean they should all go and not be replaced or that the work that they do should be brought into central or local government?
Many quangos have an important regulatory role, eg the ones that make sure care homes aren't beating up old people or sedating them unnecessarily, and the HSE which stops employers frorm forcing people to work in a way that is unsafe. I agree that their are undoubtedly some unnecessary ones and some that probably need to be reined in a bit, but imo wholesale abolition is not a good idea.

On 12 May 2010 at 8:37am OpTIMistic wrote:
I feel so relieved that Labour are out and I feel that for the first time in decades, this country has a future.

On 12 May 2010 at 8:43am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Is there an echo in here?

On 12 May 2010 at 2:14pm Clifford wrote:
Not so much an echo ACT, more 'his master's voice'.

On 12 May 2010 at 2:39pm lewes trousers wrote:
Lets just cut everything and let the market decide who lives or dies.
Maximum pay means people go elsewhere and the good brains do not want to go into public service. Cap one execs pay then cap them all....ooh no cries the Tory not in the private sector they would all just go live and work somewhere else.
All that waste the Tories cut in the 80s and 90s... so it laid waste to a generation and left us with nothing to manufacture. Tories are great with waste.
At least you know where you are with Norman Baker, he was a waste of space before the election and will be now, lets hope come the next election there is enough resolve around to make efficiencies and remove him from office.

On 13 May 2010 at 12:26am Normans Wisdom wrote:
Utter crap Lewes trousers. Is that your brain, or are you just running it in for a moron? Norman is one of the best constituency mp's in the country. FACT.

On 13 May 2010 at 11:24pm love wrote:
shut up u conservative not norman moron more like it

On 14 May 2010 at 11:40am LOVE wrote:
normans wisdom my ass

On 14 May 2010 at 11:51am love wrote:
but i love u all

On 14 May 2010 at 8:49pm MC wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder if it's the E that stunts diction and grammar.

On 14 May 2010 at 9:06pm love wrote:
and I'M BEGIINNING TO THINK MC IS A TXXTT

On 14 May 2010 at 9:08pm LOVE wrote:
A TWITT

9 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Castle view 19:132
Castle view

What is it with some people?
With their kid's education at stake, this numpty thinks it's a good idea to ask complete strangers... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington