Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Brexit cancelled (again)

2
2
On 24 Jan 2017 at 10:49am Deja vu wrote:
So will there now be a second referendum?

Check it out here »
4
1
On 24 Jan 2017 at 11:24am The Greek wrote:
No. Have some basic understanding of the issues before posting please.
3
3
On 24 Jan 2017 at 11:56am Bob wrote:
Brexiters have got exactly what they wanted: sovereignty of Parliament over decision making to ensure decisions are made in the best interests of us all. That is what they wanted isn't it?
1
5
On 24 Jan 2017 at 11:57am Deja vu wrote:
I have more than basic understanding, there is a chance (as certain parties won't lend support without a second referendum) that there will be a second referendum - FACT.
Try to have some basic understanding yourself before being critical (especially stupid when you're wrong).
4
8
On 24 Jan 2017 at 12:14pm Kelly-Marie Blundell wrote:
We need a second referendum on the details of brexit. Until such details are presented, Article 50 should be voted down.
If brexit means breakfast - what is breakfast? Is it ceral and yogurt, is it full English, is it a toast on the go? The devil is in the details and the people are entitled to a vote on the details.
2
1
On 24 Jan 2017 at 12:16pm Bob wrote:
Well, what we have is Lib Dems saying they want a 2nd referendum, but they don't really count because there isn't enough of them to make a difference. Labour say they will support the bill but want amendments. One amendment they have said they are going to ask for so they can support the bill is solid commitment to that 350 million a week that was promised to the NHS after leaving the EU. That won't happen because it was a lie that suckered in a lot of people who don't think for themselves, but the bill will pass anyway.
What's most likely is Scotland will vote for independence before any negotiations are complete, and that'll invalidate any trade deal negotiations up to that point and everything will start again. What we'll see then is some compromise deal thrashed out which gets no-one what they want, and we'll have had a costly few years of rising inflation while everyone argues and Farage goes puce with outrage.
There's also the fact that it all has to be decided by May 2019 because that's when the next EU elections are. This is why March is such an immovable deadline for triggering A50. Any delays anywhere in the process are going to be major obstacles.
Realistically by 2035 the country might start to recover though so that's something to look forward to.
5
1
On 24 Jan 2017 at 12:23pm Deja vu wrote:
What you actually have is Libdem saying second referendum, Labour saying amendments needed and SNP saying they won't support it.
Leaving just a handful of MP needed to put a block on it.
A slim chance of it happening I agree, but one of the possible outcomes nevertheless. If there was a second referendum, I doubt if it would be the same result.
2
2
On 24 Jan 2017 at 12:23pm Kelly-Marie Blundell wrote:
I think it's shocking that Labour is effectively rolling over for Theresa May to tickle their tummies on this issue.
We have a flailing government and a failed opposition. Who is providing true scrutiny to the process?
Yes, there may only be 9 Liberal Democrats, but with your support, we will have more and can oppose this farce.
leweslibdems.org.uk
 
1
On 24 Jan 2017 at 1:06pm The Greek wrote:
@dejavu I don't see where you are pulling those claims from. This was a court case, quite rightly, about the legal process. This arrogant government thought they could pull the wool over everyone's eyes and I'm glad they have been caught out. Unfortunately it looks like A50 supporting MPs are in the majority in the commons, this would still be the case if MPs in Remain areas voted against it. Lib Dems are not really a parliamentary force to be reckoned with any more and Labour have the sticky situation of having to appease their Northern seats, so will probably go for A50, despite wanting to maintain single market access.
1
1
On 24 Jan 2017 at 1:08pm Deja vu wrote:
Kelly, it's a pretty brave political party that goes against a referendum result so what other choice do they have?
1
1
On 24 Jan 2017 at 1:18pm Deja vu wrote:
I'm not claiming anything, if everyone tows the party line it mathematically won't make any difference, but considering the majority of MP's want to stay in I am curious to see how it plays out (not as most of us think, I bet).
A second referendum would pass the buck back to the people, either way there's going to be a lot of unhappy people.
1
1
On 24 Jan 2017 at 1:21pm The Greek wrote:
Yes fair point.
2
1
On 24 Jan 2017 at 2:18pm Barry Norman wrote:
Great to see the movie about the dreams of the leave voters get so many Oscar nominations.
1
2
On 24 Jan 2017 at 5:06pm Clifford wrote:
Kelly-Marie Blundell wrote: 'I think it's shocking that Labour is effectively rolling over for Theresa May to tickle their tummies on this issue.'

A very brave thing for the representative of a party that rolled over for the Tories between 2010 and 2015 to say. Do you think we haven't forgotten the Health & Social Care Act, the bedroom tax, the attacks on the disabled, tripling of tuition fees... all enabled through by the Lib Dems?


23 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Lewesian Sky 97:143
Lewesian Sky

Were the Borough Zulus blacking up last night? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa