Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Boy chores/activities

On 18 Jul 2017 at 10:40am Holiday Ideas wrote:
Some ideas please to occupy my son (about to enter secondary school) over the hols and to avoid PS4 and hanging around aimlessly too much...a bit is OK but would like him to do something constructive as well.
I was thinking of teaching him to cook a few things, learning how to iron, a bit of simple woodwork (nest box)?......
On 18 Jul 2017 at 10:44am Billy wrote:
Great ideas, I wish you were my mum/dad.
On 18 Jul 2017 at 11:26am Bob a Job wrote:
Cooking Ironing Making things - all good - even cleaning clothes and kit, like we used to in the Scouts
On 18 Jul 2017 at 12:02pm Deja Vu wrote:
Not sure about the woodwork thing, the average 11 year old would hurt themselves if given a saw, hammer and a chisel (to be fair the "average male" would hurt themselves too).
Sign him up for a few clubs, or maybe ask a local farmer if he can metal detect on any of his land (and buy him a cheap one), you never know he might get rich in the process.
On 18 Jul 2017 at 12:31pm Billy wrote:
Seriously, why would an eleven year hurt themselves with hammer and chisel? Don't kids do practical stuff any more?
On 18 Jul 2017 at 12:36pm Holiday Ideas wrote:
I did metalwork and woodwork when I started Priory school (back in the 80s)...
On 18 Jul 2017 at 12:59pm Billy wrote:
I remember building a den with a tin roof. By the end of summer I was able to sleep out in in. Cooked my own meals (with a little help from mum) on a gas stove. I don't know if your garden is big enough or if you have spare materials? You could try freegle for timber and plastic sheet.
On 18 Jul 2017 at 1:10pm @Billy wrote:
Because a chisel is as sharp as a knife and sadly the average 11 year old doesn't even know what a chisel is.
Yes Holiday Ideas I did too, but prior to picking up a chisel in my woodworking lesson I had never used one before (and as you said he's "about to enter secondary school", so presumably he's never done woodwork before).
Sadly woodworking and metal working has been replaced with DT these days, so if you do have the time and patience to teach them how to build a bird box, good luck and my respect to you.
I would heartily recommend using instructables for some ideas it also has bird box guides...

Check it out here »
On 18 Jul 2017 at 1:55pm Horseman7 wrote:
Definitely the den. I still have very fond memories of mine and I'm now a 63 year old granny - who cut her thumb on her chisel only yesterday (recycling pallets and tyres to make a raised cold-frame, the platform of which can double as extra seating). As well as cooking and sleeping in my den, I also had a gravity fed water system and a library. It was great, and all using recycled stuff (just like yesterday's project). The spirit of thrift and invention lives on all these (many) years later. But please also allow your son some time to sit around grunting and generally being lazy and horrible in the best Kevin style. It'll all be over in 6 weeks!
On 18 Jul 2017 at 2:45pm Holiday Ideas wrote:
@horseman7. That sounds fantastic!! Strange as I watched the Kevin clip this morning...
On 18 Jul 2017 at 3:04pm The people wrote:
Get him outdoors with a camera and go walking the downs, lots of benefits......
On 18 Jul 2017 at 3:22pm Horseman7 wrote:
How about some National Trust volunteering?
On 18 Jul 2017 at 4:10pm Charlie Cooke wrote:
To be fair things aren't the same these days. Back in the mid 60's, early 70's when I was a boy we were able to do things which are not possible today. We used to build go-karts from old pram wheels, old bike wheels and odd timbers we could find. In those days of course you could clamber and poke around at the tip for lots of gear, but today it's out of bounds, off limits, too dangerous, health & safety doesn't allow it. The same for scavenging wood and rope to build a swing over the river, but today it's out of bounds, off limits, keep off or keep out. Too dangerous. Yes, parents wouldn't like it, but what kid didn't dare to be naughty some times. Kids aren't able to have adventures as kids anymore. Using your imagination was fun. Some nasty cuts & bruises were all part and parcel of growing up, it didn't stop me. I feel sorry for today's kids, they are missing out on all the adventures we had. Shame.
On 18 Jul 2017 at 4:28pm Plebian wrote:
My son has been doing woodwork and metalwork since he was 6 with me. Obviously I supervised him a lot but now he can sharpen chisels and saws and make simple objects.
In the past it was common for children to learn trades at quite young ages, nowadays you can learn a lot on YouTube then put it into action. The most valuable commodity is time, its hard to do this sort of thing if you are in a stressful job.
On 18 Jul 2017 at 5:00pm Metatron wrote:
@ Horseman you really are a Sage.
Your posts never have a bad word.
You are truly unique.
On 18 Jul 2017 at 5:11pm Deja Vu wrote:
I'm not sure why I got so many thumbs down for pointing out chisels are not a toy. Madness
On 18 Jul 2017 at 6:03pm belladonna wrote:
the earlier a child uses tools the more confident they will be. My kids used hammer and nails at nursery school - under supervision of course.
I think the building of a den is a great idea and you can do loads together to gather materials and if its wet can do drawings etc to plan it, or make decoratins for it. Good luck and enjoy yourselves

On 23 Jul 2017 at 9:39am pearliegirliestar wrote:
I'm a DT teacher. Chisels are very dangerous things, as are 11 year old boys. Even well trained 11 year old boys behave erratically and have a mad moment. Infact this is true of all children, even sixth formers. However, that should not put you off giving him something less dangerous. Building a den or a buggy together sounds like fun. You can also buy some brilliant kits online, including electronic stuff e.g. Robotic ducks if you're up for a bit of soldering.

19 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Ann of Cleves 2:132
Ann of Cleves

Clean your own place. Most people do. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell