Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Bored of drum and bass

On 27 Nov 2011 at 12:07am Flippin floppin wrote:
I know i am..... Thank you to the lovely people at the phoenix theatre....

On 27 Nov 2011 at 12:15am Pells of hell wrote:
Not sure quite how they got the license, its good they have a night for teens not sure why they need it so loud, surely their hearing is still ment to be good?

On 27 Nov 2011 at 3:55am expat two wrote:
I thought everybody was bored of drum n bass, wasn't that why they invented dubstep?

On 27 Nov 2011 at 5:47pm brixtonbelle wrote:
a night for teens in lewes ??? is there a mailing list ? I'd rather have my teen going out locally than to the clubs of brighton, less chance of missing the last bus/train home.
Can anyone provide more details, please ?

On 27 Nov 2011 at 9:04pm Digga wrote:
Here is a link to the Facebook page for this event. Unfortunately it wasn't overly busy, but hopefully the next one will be more popular as word spreads amongst the under 18's.

Check it out here »
On 28 Nov 2011 at 10:36am Extreme Pedant wrote:
Surely it's "bored with", not " bored of". Let's keep up standards, perlease!
On 28 Nov 2011 at 1:30pm Clifford wrote:
I think that may be another battle we are losing, Extreme Pedant. Along with 'should of' instead of 'should have' and 'disinterested' instead of 'uninterested'. The march to mass illiteracy continues apace.

On 28 Nov 2011 at 3:06pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Illiteracy as applied to an individual's ability to read and write strictly speaking means a complete inability to do either. I suspect your intended meaning, Clifford, was further incidences of grammatical error in which case, of course, you meant to write "The march to mass illiteracies continues apace".

On 28 Nov 2011 at 3:11pm Clifford wrote:
I stand corrected, Ed Can Do, and welcome your comment.

On 28 Nov 2011 at 4:06pm someone else wrote:
I'd have said Clifford was right. Isn't 'mass' referring to 'a mass' or 'the mass' of people, in which case it is a singular noun and referring to the illiteracy of the mass is not incorrect?

On 28 Nov 2011 at 4:26pm Clifford wrote:
Lewes Forum as a channel for discussion of the finer points of grammar. Who would have thought it?

On 28 Nov 2011 at 6:28pm brixtonbelle wrote:
I agree with someone else. Clifford is correct.

On 28 Nov 2011 at 8:31pm Digga wrote:
Amazing... How a thread on Drum n Bass instantly turns in to an English lesson!!!

On 29 Nov 2011 at 9:42am Expat Two wrote:
This is something that always dismays my wife too, but like it or not 'bored of' is becoming an accepted form, if only through the frequency of usage - following the of 'sick of' and 'tired of' pattern. I can't convince her with that argument though so I don't see it holding much water on the Lewes Forum.
It seems to me to be an arbitrary rule of verb/preposition grammar being broken, not like the 'should of/should have' error that really hacks me off, that's just plain wrong and hope never gets assimilated.

On 29 Nov 2011 at 9:42am Ed Can Do wrote:
Clifford wasn't grammatically incorrect but he was exaggerating terribly. Illiteracy can be used as a singular noun to refer to a single grammatical error, potentially my spelling of exaggerate is an illiteracy for example. I was merely jumping on the pedantry wagon with my tongue firmly in my cheek with that post because if someone picks up a grammar error in another post on the internet and is not immediately pulled up on a deficiency in their own post there is a very real danger the entire internet will collapse. It's one of the basic laws that holds the whole thing together.

On 29 Nov 2011 at 6:58pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I hate "should of" too, and was delighted when I heard someone in a pub say loudly to his companion "Kindly conjugate the verb "to of"".
"Bored of" gets on my threepennies, but I fear I may have to learn to live with it, in the same way that I have reluctantly accepted the split infinitive.
I will never reach such an accommodation with "10 items or less" though. That really puts my hackles up. One day I'm going to tour the supermarkets with a stepladder and a magic marker, correcting all those signs. When I'm a mad old lady perhaps (which could mean as soon as next week).

On 29 Nov 2011 at 10:38pm PB is back! wrote:
Annette my darling, your comments were very amusing and accurate too, keep away from me after a wine or two, public school gave me nothing but a fear of woman ha ha. May I suggest you take your stepladder and magic marker to Tesco's to begin with, beyond poor in the spelling stakes IMO (as son tells me to put after all my comments) ha ha. Hope you are well. Peter

20 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

south street badge 107:132
south street badge

Yes I’m really going to miss the ‘its Oh so wonderful and it’s only 600 quid’ advertising features … more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like it when people find lost stuff on the forum
Jim
Brighton Jobs