Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Bonfire rules on fireworks

On 21 Oct 2012 at 11:24pm Lady Lewes wrote:
Right so I have heard many different enforcements from different societies and news reports on the fireworks that can be used on the 5th. Some say that all drop fireworks are banned, while others say that reds are still allowed. Also i would like to fine out more about the laws of bonfire if anyone has any links?
On 21 Oct 2012 at 11:42pm Law wrote:
It is not the societies it is the law
On 22 Oct 2012 at 6:45am jo wrote:
right let stop now please do not reply you are being watchs

On 22 Oct 2012 at 7:32am Bruciare il Papa wrote:
ALL drop downs in the procession are BANNED.
On 22 Oct 2012 at 9:25am Blip wrote:
For Heaven's sake, societies, get rid of your members with a dangerous attitude problem and let us have the relatively good humoured and safe bonfire nights that we used to have. And support the Police.
On 22 Oct 2012 at 10:04am I repeat wrote:
November 5th. You will be able to hear a pin drop. Welcome carnival. Bye bye bonfire. Sooner than you think. Mark my words
On 22 Oct 2012 at 10:16am Deelite wrote:
How will you hear a pin drop with all the drumming stuff?
On 22 Oct 2012 at 11:22am Ed Can Do wrote:
Each society will communicate to it's members the rules regarding fireworks on the night. That is all you, or anyone needs to know.
On 22 Oct 2012 at 12:16pm boo khaki wrote:
Drop downs have been party of bonfire for a while now
Wonder what jumped up little squirt feels the need to change a local, I'll repeat that LOCAL celebration
If you don't like it - DON'T FECHIN' COME, you clearly know what to "expect"
What's next universities boat race on rowing machines?
Trooping of the colour with pantomime horses?
Burning of the clocks, Brighton Winter Solstice celebrations with LED tea lights?
On 22 Oct 2012 at 1:36pm Blip wrote:
Boo Khaki - your use of offensive language, however spelt, tells me all I need to know. I shall certainly stay away, and shall hope no innocent people are injured this year through the unnecessary behaviour of boneheads.
On 22 Oct 2012 at 2:35pm Tim wrote:
There will be plenty of high def. cameras in use.

On 22 Oct 2012 at 3:22pm Teacher wrote:
Bonfire night in Lewes is one of the most exciting nights of the year. Its loud, colourful, exciting and really puts you on a high. Ok its not for the squeamish or faint hearted but for goodness sake ( I did not swear because I did not want to offend Blip ) let the societies get on with it they do a fantastic job and we should be grateful. Like I said on a previous post " If you dont like it stay away and stop whinging".
On 22 Oct 2012 at 4:08pm v wrote:
Bonfire boys will not let the police, or any 'bonfire haters' ruin this over 400 year old tradition anymore...its getting ridiculous! There's health n safety and there's taking the biscuit! As my dad said to me this mornin (and he isn't involved with bonfire, but still enjoys it), "How quiet was Nevill on Saturday?? Next they will want to be changing flaming torches to flashlights. Its health n safety gone mad! The noise and excitement is what makes bonfire more exciting, and what makes Lewes unique. Its ruining a tradition and its getting worse each year!" Where were the police when they were truly needed saturday night to sort out all the mindless anti-social behaviour by teenagers, giving bonfire a bad name? They were nowhere to be seen when it mattered! All too busy trying to catch out the bonfire boys who would dare let of a banger in their presence! It was the Bonfire Boys that stopped drunk teenagers hurting each other. 'Haters', stay out of Lewes on the 5th if you don't like it...Police, how about looking out for the real trouble makers that actually give Lewes bonfire a bad name, rather than trying to arrest people from the societies who are only tryin to uphold a tradition and let their hair down for one night a year!! It's always the Bonfire Societies that get the blame for everything bad that happens. What about the stupid drunk idiots in the crowd who are actually the ones that mainly cause the damage?? If i recall correctly, the woman that lost her eyesight from seaford last year was injured from a rookie thrown INTO the procession FROM the crowd, and suprise suprise the blame was immedietly put on the societies. CSBS's tab had a flaming torch thrown at it, along the high street, from some idiot in the crowd! Think of the amount of injuries if that had gone up! Would we have got the blame for that too?? Give it a rest, and let the Bonfire Societies have their one day of fun a year. If you don't like it go somewhere else. We all know the risks. Stop trying to wrap it up in cotton wool!

On 22 Oct 2012 at 4:52pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
It may sound alarmist, but if it remains impossible to get safer rookies than the banned blue ones, I think we may have seen the last year of loud processions.
I wouldn't be surprised if V was right, and torches are next for the chop. Every year, people complain about the smoke from them, it gets in their kids' eyes and makes them cry, causes breathing difficulties etc. It only needs a death from asthma on the night and that would give them the excuse they need to stop naked flame on the streets.

Mind you, they'd probably pick on flares first - they're very smokey.

On 22 Oct 2012 at 6:37pm bastian wrote:
From inside my society the rules are:
No drop downs during the procession of reds or blues
No blues at all during the procession and if a marshal sees you they will remove you from the procession.
The police will arrest anyone else seen throwing blues. The public and they are more of a problem.
At the fire site you can throw anything at the priest from your enclosure.
This applys to everyone in the bonfire council. Cliffe are not in the council.

On 22 Oct 2012 at 6:52pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Flares are already banned at most out-meetings this year, ACT, but because members of the public might pick up disgarded ones not realising they're hot. Honestly, you couldn't make it up.

I could see bonfire going underground before it gave up. Illicit, last minute gatherings on the outskirts of town, organised by text message the way raves used to be. The thing is, if it did stop for a year and was publicised as gone forever, the crowds from out of town wouldn't come and all the problems would evaporate. I'd personally rather not do it at all for a year then go back to doing it properly than see it constantly worn down by ridiculous kowtowing to health and safety concerns raised after idiotic outsiders come to watch and hurt themselves or others.

On 22 Oct 2012 at 7:06pm uckers barry wrote:
are you standing on your ed when talking out your arse

On 22 Oct 2012 at 7:12pm Ed Can Do wrote:
I was pretty much joking about it going underground Baz me old china but I'm serious in that anything that can be done to get rid of the crowds is a good idea, even if that meant stopping for a year.
On 22 Oct 2012 at 7:16pm High Dudgeon wrote:
As one who if nicked would have to ask for several thousand other offences to be taken into consideration, I have to point out that the blitzkrieg that now breaks out from start to end is arguably not traditional. Thirty years ago there was a much higher chance of getting your collar felt and a date in court. I'd suggest that the police's efforts to let Bonfire get on with it themselves have led to the situation we have now where someone has to rattle the cage because until now the societies have failed to stem the rapidly escalating number of fireworks in their processions. It's all very well saying if you don't like it don't come, but there's now a very real danger that those who won't come are non-Bonfire Lewes people who've supported it for years and years and sadly, members themselves who are deciding that they don't want to spend the rest of the year nursing the scars of the night.
And bastian's got it wrong - Cliffe are in the Bonfire Council. Indeed, I think they supply the secretary and the treasurer!
On 22 Oct 2012 at 7:45pm Ed Can Do wrote:
I started going out on Bonfire Night when I was 12 so 21 years ago and I don't remember there being particularly fewer bangs back then. I remember people letting off rockets and roman candles in the street though! I also remember being able to walk from St Anne's Crescent, down the high street to Boots and then on to which ever fire site you wanted with barely a pause to get through crowds. I first joined a society when I got back from uni, at which point it had got so you could barely move once you got in place and the crowds have only got worse since then.

The major issue for me is that the crowd are polarised into three groups. Those who live here or nearby and know what it's about and act sensibly, those who hear about it and travel here specially and do stupid things like picking up spent flares and sitting on the kerb and those who see the whole thing as an excuse to get drunk and generally act like a tool. What we need to get rid of is the latter two groups and a lot of that can only be done by further limiting access to the town and to alcohol within the town. I don't think a general reduction in the number of bangers is necessarily a bad thing, I'm sure there'll still be enough to keep things interesting and it won't take long for an enterprising local to source a decent supply of safer rookies.

On 22 Oct 2012 at 8:48pm Old Malling wrote:
Spot on Ed Can Do. I started going out pretty much from birth (and I'm a bit older than you!) and I've seen a year on year increase in numbers to the point where there's no fun in watching any more. I don't care about a few rookies being thrown- I've stopped going out on 5th because I can't put up with the crouds of morons any more.
It's a shame, but I think that a lot of Lewes people who were always happy to have the disruption on 5th in exchange for a great display are now getting to the point where they're fed up with the whole thing.
On 22 Oct 2012 at 8:48pm Southover Queen wrote:
As usual, you're talking sense Ed.

I do think that a lot of the "people who act like tools" and get drunk are students from the universities. As far as they're concerned it's a noisy version of a carnival and that's what they expect. There are over 30,000 students at the two universities - and that's a big increase over the last ten or so years. My guess is that this is now a university "tradition" itself: it's what a new arrival is told they must do on the 5th. They're 18 or 19 and they're hell bent on a good time. They don't know it could be dangerous, and they wouldn't really care if they did.

Let's hope it's quieter this year, since Bonfire is on a school night...

On 22 Oct 2012 at 9:39pm David wrote:
Im still praying for a complete and utter wash out with podgy pirates looking crestfallen and their tight striped twin sets shrinking onto their bloated bellies xxxxxx
On 22 Oct 2012 at 11:36pm Stephen wrote:
I think this no rookie rule in the processions is ludicrous. The person who lost their sight was injured by someone in the crowd not someone marching. Understandable with blues not being alllowed due to the clay bottoms but banning reds is ridiculous, Lewes is famous for bonfire night but soon to be known for controversy with these stupid parking enforcements and the clamp down on bonfire night, if the police did their job properly and controlled the crowds and let the bonfire societies do their marshalling on their members Lewes would be much safer on the 5th, its events like this where the police are more of a nuisance than a help, they try to be fair to them, but fail every year and the blame is left on the societies, this is beyond a joke now, let the 5th be a night to remember and not for the wrong reasons of wrongful arrests by the police not focusing on their real job, controlling the crowds.

On 23 Oct 2012 at 8:26am Ecilop wrote:
Stephen you know so little think you should button it , this may be free speech but really ! And as for bitter and twisted David , you may get what you wish for but again you know very little , we have had wet years and as you can see its made no difference,

On 23 Oct 2012 at 8:39am tike wrote:
Am I to understand that most are saying "if you don't like being deafened or fragged then don't come to Lewes'? It's a procession in a public place for beeps sake! If you don't want the public to come then carry out your anti-establishment event on private land. If you do it in a public place then the public will come. Simples!

On 23 Oct 2012 at 10:18am someone else wrote:
tike: "It's a procession in a public place for beeps sake! If you don't want the public to come then carry out your anti-establishment event on private land. If you do it in a public place then the public will come "

Presumably, you're the type of person who would try to use a pedestrian crossing in Monaco whilst the F1's on. Public space, after all.

On 23 Oct 2012 at 10:53am 17Xs wrote:
You don't have to look far to see who the real culprits for spoiling Bonfire night are. Young mindless NON Bonfire members! No respect for anything, let alone fine upstanding traditions we fight to keep year in year out! The amount I have thrown out of processions, witnessed abusing innocent walking members, throwing torches and this past saturday, throwing rocks and bricks!! Whats going on?!!!!!!!!!!
On 23 Oct 2012 at 10:59am Rookie Ron wrote:
'Presumably, you're the type of person who would try to use a pedestrian crossing in Monaco whilst the F1's on. Public space, after all.'
Brilliant SE!!! Actually did lol when I read that, and that ain't often

On 23 Oct 2012 at 11:00am Proper Bonfire wrote:
Too true 17Xs. Also this is not an Anti-Establishment event either, learn your facts Tike!

On 23 Oct 2012 at 12:08pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Haha, it's actually one of the most pro-establishment events in the country, celebrating as it does the failure of a terrorist cell to blow up the houses of parliament and destroy the government. One wonders also how many times we have to say that we don't want people to come before people like Tike actually listen to us. Essentially we are indeed saying that if you don't like beign deafened or fragged then don't come to Lewes. Much like if you don't like being gored by bulls, don't go to Pamplona and if you're not fond of organised religion, steer clear of Jerusalem at Easter.

I don't know what it is about the British psyche that leads so many people to want to change everything to suit them, rather than just not going to things they don't like, especially as it's so prevalent round here. It's a really bizarre approach to life. We get it in our restaurants at work, someone will write and complain that they didn't like the fennel in their lamb dish, despite the dish's description being lamb with fennel. That same person will then order exactly the same dish next time they visit and then complain again. People need to get a grip and accept that they just won't enjoy certain things and give up trying to change it suit them.

If you like processions and constumes and burning torches but don't like bangs, why would you even consider coming to Lewes on Bonfire night? There's at least one bonfire every Saturday from now until the 17th of November that exactly fits what you want. Come to Firle this weekend, we'll have fairly thin crowds, a decent length procession, hardly any smugglers, torches, fireworks and all that good stuff and the only bangs will be under the clergy stand, a good 40 yards from the nearest member of the public. We'll even have charity buckets so you can put your hand in your pocket and help someone out in return for the spectacle you're basically getting for free. It's a no-brainer surely?

On 23 Oct 2012 at 12:38pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
Perfectly put but for whatever reason, they won't listen Ed Can Do.

On 23 Oct 2012 at 2:49pm Captain of Spin wrote:
Firle is likely to be busy. That doesn't mean don't come. But it does mean that more people than usual are going to enjoy a traditional Sussex village Bonfire Night. With as few compromises as possible.

On 23 Oct 2012 at 3:23pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Or if you don't fancy Firle, Littlehampton are having their 60th anniversary bonfire this weekend and there's one at Staplecross to although Little hampton is quite a journey and I'll confess I have no idea where Staplecross is, plus Firle is always one of the best bonfires of the year and I am in no way biased when I say that, honest.

On 23 Oct 2012 at 5:27pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
"Flares are already banned at most out-meetings this year, ACT, but because members of the public might pick up disgarded ones not realising they're hot. Honestly, you couldn't make it up."

It sounds unbelievable, ECD, but I find it all too plausible that some people are so stupid that they will pick up something that was on fire just a moment earlier, then be surprised that it burns their fingers.

I first came to watch bonfire in 1977. It was easy to move around town, there were very few police, hardly any barriers and it was really exciting. My recollection is that there was nothing like the amount of stuff going off in the street as there is these days. It seemed much more anarchic then than it does now. I remember a bonfire boy swinging round a barrel full of torch sticks, many still burning, to clear the crowds from School Hill.
On 23 Oct 2012 at 8:14pm justakid wrote:
Im just a kid. It seems very obvious that societies enjoy the crowds? otherwise why wouldn't they march around a muddy field somewhere on the outskirts of lewes? Doubt many would follow them up there and as a result many problems will be solved?
On 23 Oct 2012 at 9:14pm Little prat wrote:
Justakid , your nanny didn't learn ya so good did she , keep your head down and eat the grass , the single most stupid post with so little understanding

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Swan penny 112:132
Swan penny

Clean your own place. Most people do. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington