Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Bonfire bollox

On 5 Nov 2023 at 8:39pm Mister_D wrote:
Given the destruction being heaped on civilians in current war zones, is it a good thing to be indulging people's apparent love of fire, explosions and mayhem once a year in Lewes, or is this a tendency we should be growing out of?

On 5 Nov 2023 at 10:37pm Mark wrote:
Goodness! Is this actually true? Cancelling Bonfire would lead to world peace. Here was I thinking that it promoted civic pride and sense of community and was instrumental in creating the Lewes identity. I've always loved it more than Christmas. Me being naive and ill-informed, I suppose.

On 6 Nov 2023 at 10:03am Nevillman wrote:
If you look up conflicts throughout history you will see a constant record of wars and conflict. Most of these will have lead to civilian casualties historically estimated to be about 50% of the total of war deaths. The 21st century has so far been a relatively peaceful period. I can understand if the people of Ukraine and Gaza roll their eyes at this but it is true.
It seems strange to attack bonfire now on those grounds mister D.

On 6 Nov 2023 at 12:24pm knight temlar wrote:
air pollution.

On 6 Nov 2023 at 12:28pm knight temlar wrote:
problame is we need guy fawkes back to finnish the job off,lol theres to much corruption in governments .

On 6 Nov 2023 at 1:49pm Green Sleeves wrote:
Conveniently left out the wars in the middle East captained by Sir Tony Blair, that killed and displaced millions.

Still only early days in the 21st century and we have quite a long way left to go. Me thinks with climate change will exacerbate conflicts. It won't just be brown people dying in faraway lands.

On 6 Nov 2023 at 2:40pm biggles wrote:
Shame on you Mister D. I suspect you are not a true lewesian or you would never speak such anti bonfire bull.
Shame on you I say shame shame.

On 6 Nov 2023 at 3:18pm Green Sleeves wrote:
Lewes might have an identity crisis if it weren't for its love of noisy explosives and primitive rituals.

On 6 Nov 2023 at 9:22pm Tom Pain wrote:
I blame the climate for putting a damper on the mayhem. It ruined my post bonfire ritual of going through the bloated obituaries in the Sussex Express seeing how many names I recognised from the glory days.

28 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Station View 82:132
Lewes Station View

I've been sat here sh*tting myself, but so far nothing untoward has happened on my various bits of hardware. I don't have a fixed... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams