Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Bonfire Train Strike

On 22 Sep 2016 at 3:37pm Crash Override wrote:
News that the latest round of Southern Rail strikes will fall across bonfire weekend. Excellent timing.
On 22 Sep 2016 at 4:46pm Sussex Jim wrote:
What shall we do with Mick Cash? BURN HIM!
On 22 Sep 2016 at 5:06pm Bonfireboy wrote:
Bonfire boys rejoice, brilliant news, let's just hope it happens!!
On 22 Sep 2016 at 5:29pm Gerty wrote:
How will all the Cliffe members get in to town?
On 22 Sep 2016 at 5:47pm A Person wrote:
Actually, that probably is quite good timing. I dread to think of the numbers crushing into town. If it keeps some of the drunken lunatics away then so much the better for everyone.
On 22 Sep 2016 at 6:26pm Old Malling wrote:
Just got to arrange a bus strike now and we'll be sorted.
On 22 Sep 2016 at 6:36pm Mutton wrote:
Hurrah for the RMT! That's umpteen thousand unwanted visitors kept away.
On 22 Sep 2016 at 6:42pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Fantastic! Local people will be able to go out and enjoy the night without hordes of drunken incomers ruining the night.
On 22 Sep 2016 at 7:25pm Bert wrote:
Of course no one In Lewes ever has a drink
Only kidding
Thank goodness we're not all po faced moaners who want to deny visitors the chance to witness a spectacle the town is fanous for.
Let's face it Lewes hasn't got much else going for it apart from the road up to Ringmer
On 22 Sep 2016 at 8:09pm Really?! wrote:
What about born and bred Lewesians forced out of the town because of extortionate house prices who enjoy the tradition...
It's ok you can rely on your DFLs and stripey legging vegans ro enjoy it with you
On 22 Sep 2016 at 8:54pm wanderer wrote:
00.01 on Tuesday 11th October and 23.59 on Thursday 13th October
00.01 on Tuesday 18th October and 23.59 on Thursday 20st October
00.01 on Thursday 3rd November and 23.59 on Saturday 5th November
00.01 on Tuesday 22nd November and 23.59 on Wednesday 23rd November
00.01 on Tuesday 6th December and 23.59 on Thursday 8th December.
On 22 Sep 2016 at 9:16pm remember.... wrote:
Could be terrible; visitors may be able to get here but not get out again.
On 22 Sep 2016 at 9:19pm Tipex wrote:
Given most bonfire societies claim to hate outsiders daring to turn up and enjoy this amazing spectacle they'll be pleased. No idea why but still.
On 22 Sep 2016 at 10:05pm Red Dog wrote:
RMT are the most powerful union in the country, they quite rightly look after their members rights.
On 22 Sep 2016 at 10:29pm Stefan wrote:
I hope it rains on all the chubby middle aged men in dirty striped jumpers and their guts hanging over stained grey trousers.
On 23 Sep 2016 at 11:09am Ed Can Do wrote:
The reason the Bonfire Societies try to stop people coming into town is nothing to do with tribalism or anything like that and is entirely to do with keeping everyone safe. I think people who aren't involved in bonfire struggle to appreciate what a mammoth act of logistics it is to get everyone where they need to be and when on the night. Getting all the processions running on time with torch dumps in the right places takes months of planning and a huge amount of coordination on the night. Doing all this in empty streets would be tricky, doing it in town when half the population (Who know more or less what is going on) are on the streets is harder, doing it when 20,000 people who have no idea what's going on and where anything is, many of them incredibly drunk descend on the town is nightmarish.

The more "Outsiders" you have, the more people there are trying to cram onto the pavements and spilling into the road, the more trying to cross through a procession, the more trying to pick up torches, or throwing fireworks and dropping cans and bottles and food wrappers everywhere.

Last year was great. The rain kept the casual, drinking mobs at bay and the crowd that was out were for the most part people who understood the traditions and the event and were largely respectful (Although there's always at least one idiot who insists on shouting during any given minutes' silence sadly). That there will be a train strike on the 5th this year is potentially the best news we could possibly have had and I for one hope it comes to pass.

Also for the record, I'm pretty slim and my trousers are gleaming white. Even my jumper isn't that grubby...
On 23 Sep 2016 at 12:21pm Curious Bystander wrote:
Do you have a problem with the Cliffe Gerty? Would be interested to know why.
On 23 Sep 2016 at 6:19pm Like the rest of them wrote:
Oooh touchy!!!

On 26 Sep 2016 at 8:20am lewes resident wrote:
Let's hope it will be pouring with rain on November 5th ,
On 26 Sep 2016 at 10:39am Observer wrote:
I'll never understand why bonfire societies claim to hate spectators but then also sell programmes. Bit weird to sell programmes and expect no one to turn up.

On 26 Sep 2016 at 1:41pm Ed Can Do wrote:
You'll notice that most societies only sell them in Lewes and the print run is never more than a few thousand so the target market is people in Lewes. Also these days a bonfire programme is way more than just a list of timings for the event, some of them (One of them) are full colour, magazine length tomes stacked to the rafters with informative articles and amazing pictures yet still retailing at an incredibly low price. Personally I buy one from each society if I can every year to support everyone as much as possible.

On 26 Oct 2016 at 3:22pm Ks wrote:
Im sure there will be an equal amount of people who rely on the visitors...if the people dont want them, i'm sure the good causing will miss the visitors contributions...with a population of 18,000 I think the atmosphere will be greatly reduced...

15 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes inferno 73:143
Lewes inferno

I'm very happy for you then. How are you going to use it? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell