Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Black Mercedes v Cyclist this morning

On 13 Feb 2018 at 9:30am Cyclist7 wrote:
Hi,
If you are the blonde woman driving a black mercedes that was beeping at me on my bike this morning at about 8:45 and motioning that I should get off the road on the road out of Lewes by Southdown Avenue, you should be aware that the road is for both cyclists and cars until the traffic islands by the riding stables. That is the point at which cyclists should get onto the cycle path that runs along the road. Before then, bikes are not allowed on the pavement and would present a danger to pedestrians.
Please ensure you understand the laws of the road before you go around trying to enforce them yourself, thank you!
On 13 Feb 2018 at 9:39am Beryl wrote:
Well said, but there is no obligation for a cyclist to use a cycle path, and you would be perfectly entitled to stay on the road. Some so-called cycle paths are so badly maintained and/or designed that they are more dangerous than the road.
On 13 Feb 2018 at 10:01am Deja Vu wrote:
@Beryl, a cycle path more dangerous than the road, seriously, just how many people have dies on cycle paths?
Yes according to the highway code you can use the road, but by doing so you're just show the world you are a complete idiot who cares more for proving a point than their own life or traffic.
On 13 Feb 2018 at 10:14am Beryl wrote:
It never takes long for someone to get abusive on this forum, does it? If you are riding a road bike with narrow tyres it is sometimes better to be on the road rather than a cracked and uneven path, on which pedestrians might suddenly appear. Besides the thorns and litter. It is not safe to ride at any speed on cycle paths, so a road may well be safer for all but cyclists like myself. I suspect that you are not a cyclist, dear Deja Vu.
I'm certainly not suggesting that the A27 is a suitable road for cyclists.
On 13 Feb 2018 at 10:20am Now I like cycles and I wrote:
like BMW's but which is best ................?
On 13 Feb 2018 at 10:29am Observer wrote:
"Shared" cycle paths aren't great. Even the new ones like the one on the road to Ringmer. While the surface is great, i think there is always the potential for an accident. I've come down the hill there at full pelt (30mph+), turned the slight corner, and seen a family with three young children running all over the path in front of me. I had to brake so sharply I almost went over the handlebars. Mind you, if you go on the road there, there's always the potential for pencil-dicked 4x4 drivers to carry out "punishment passes", shout out the window or hit the horn etc. if I dare to use the tarmac that I pay my taxes to maintain.
On 13 Feb 2018 at 10:41am Beryl wrote:
I've been shouted at on the Lewes Road in Ringmer, where there is no cycle path to ride on. And in Cliffe High Street on the supposedly restricted use road, and even moaned at on the shared path between Tesco and the brewery.
Cyclists, no matter how careful (as I am) are fair game, it seems.
On 13 Feb 2018 at 10:48am Local wrote:
"Full pelt" on a shared path? Sensible, aren't you Observer?
On 13 Feb 2018 at 11:06am @Local wrote:
So quick to judge. I know this path well, and you have a clear view all the way down the hill. 30mph is fine as long as no-one else is on the path, and you slow down well before the turn. It's a lot safer than 30 mph on the road with motorists squeezing past you at 60.
On 13 Feb 2018 at 11:24am Deja Vu wrote:
@Observor, you might not like what he says but Local is 100% correct though isn't he, you should be doing a speed according to the distance you can see ahead of you.
If you're going so quickly that you can see any upcoming obstruction you are a complete jerk.
It's not a private racetrack it's a flipping shared path, FYI pedestrians have the right of way, FYI the speed limit on them is 8mph.
Like I said a complete jerk.
On 13 Feb 2018 at 11:26am Cav wrote:
Compared to Europe we are so far behind with our travel infrastructure. The cycle path along a27 is in terrible condition and not suitable for road bikes. The start of the path at the traffic island is dangerous not fit for purpose. I am a driver as well as a cyclist/pedestrian and I have witnessed bad road/paths use from all groups. However the vast majority of people are very considerate. Some examples: Someone walking shouted at me last week for cycling on the shared path. Ive seen cyclists jumping red lights (particularly at the bottle neck on high street). A car driver stopped to help when i crashed (my fault) last year. A van turned left across my path at prison cross roads nearly squashing me. All in all i think we need better infrastructure to facilitate all travel options, while adopting a kinder attitude to our fellow travellers. Unfortunately the consequences of accidents are more severe for walkers/cyclists so in my humble opinion improvements to keep them safe should be prioritised.

On 13 Feb 2018 at 11:34am @Deja Vu wrote:
Ignore the message that calls you out as an asshat and then try to take the moral high ground against another.
On 13 Feb 2018 at 11:40am Beryl wrote:
@Deja Vu Correction, there is no official speed limit for bikes on shared paths. The 8mph is the speed limit for electric powered mobility scooters (on the road), which is actually 4mph on the pavement. I'm not sure which applies on shared use paths, probably the 8 mph.
It stands to reason that there should be a limit for bikes, but there isn't at the moment. Sustrans gives this advice:

Check it out here »
On 13 Feb 2018 at 11:43am Jack wrote:
well just pop inti town women with 4x4 can not drive then park on double yellows
On 13 Feb 2018 at 11:43am Beryl also wrote:
This is a debate worth having, as hopefully both sides of the discussion come out of it better informed. Cyclists, motorists and pedestrians are not different species, and we all need to be more considerate to make our flawed infrastructure safer.
On 13 Feb 2018 at 11:48am Cav wrote:
Totally agree with you @Beryl also.
On 13 Feb 2018 at 11:59am Sid wrote:
I think cyclists should have some form of competence test before being allowed on the road. As a motorist, some cyclists give me confidence - they are clearly in control of their cycle, travelling at a constant speed and riding reasonably close to the edge of the road. They are also aware when vehicles are behind them and take this into consideration. Other cyclists however are the complete opposite and these are a worry.
TfL has spent a huge amount of time trying to improve cycle safety in London and interestingly, not only did they educate lorry and van drivers, they invite cyclists to joint training sessions so that cyclists can see how their actions impact on other road users, learn about "blind spots" etc. (e.g.The van turning left at the prison cross roads).
On 13 Feb 2018 at 12:07pm Beryl wrote:
@Sid Every time you take your bike out you are undergoing a competence test. It is true that someone who doesn't drive will probably never have consulted the Highway Code, and may not even realise that traffic lights apply to them, or that cycling on the footpath is illegal. So perhaps you are right. When I was a child there was a cycling proficiency scheme. Perhaps it should be part of the school curriculum. However, the driving test doesn't seem to stop bad drivers, does it?
On 13 Feb 2018 at 12:09pm Beryl also wrote:
Hey! I just found this. Apparently it has replaced the cycling proficiency scheme.

Check it out here »
On 13 Feb 2018 at 12:15pm Deja Vu wrote:
@Beryl, I didn't say there was an official speed limit.
There is no speed limit for bicycles either on the road or on cycle paths, speed limits only apply to motorised vehicles.
The believe the wording is:
"Shared-use
On shared-use paths slow down when pedestrians are about. They have right of way. Most such paths have an 8 mph speed limit for cycles, with good reason."
So basically if Observer has "come down the hill there at full pelt (30mph+)" there is no spin you can put on it that makes it acceptable, anyone who does this is a jerk.
I saw a pedestrian push a cyclist off at the weekend (he was cycling over the pedestrian crossing to avoid the red lights), he got a cheer from me.
On 13 Feb 2018 at 12:18pm Cav wrote:
Just to clarify the van turning left situation, i was in front and going straight over towards town centre, he/she was rushing to get through before the lights changed. They overtook me on the junction and turned left across my path. To give them credit, they were indicating, even while driving very dangerously
On 13 Feb 2018 at 12:24pm @Deja vu wrote:
I've never come across a cycle path with an 8mph speed limit. Can you give me an example? The quote you included is from an American book, and does not reflect the law in the UK. Nice try.
It is disheartening to read that you "cheer" a physical assault on a cyclist, even if he/she was breaking a rule. Cycling over a pedestrian crossing is not necessarily illegal (as on the Malling crossing)
On 13 Feb 2018 at 12:25pm Deja Vu wrote:
@Sid, I've said it for many years (and will continue for many more), they should have a number plate and a 1 time registration fee (same as registering a car).
I think attitudes would change if cyclists stop being anonymous, I'm more than happy for the funds to go directly towards improving routes.
On 13 Feb 2018 at 12:32pm Observer wrote:
Actually I made that up, just to see the reaction. Of course I would be careful on a shared path.
So I assume that if I want to do 30mph+ I should be on the road then? And free from cars who aggressively overtake or shout insults at me?
On 13 Feb 2018 at 12:33pm @@Deja Vu wrote:
It's actually a quote from Richard Ballantines book City Cycling, not a US law (page 200). I believe it is a "code of conduct" (as I said non motorised vehicles are exempt from speeding laws).
DfL do however give guidance that "above 18 mph" they should be on the road, 30+ mph on a shared use path is just metal.
Reference the cyclist, I saw him try to force his way through a gap between a pedestrian and the red light pole, he didn't fit (and wasn't going to fit) so had to slam the brakes on at the last minute and wait for the pedestrian to move, unfortunately for him the pedestrian was less than impressed with the cyclists attitude and pushed him off.
On 13 Feb 2018 at 12:34pm Observer wrote:
Are the people who do that jerks too? Or is your approbation just reserved for cyclists?
On 13 Feb 2018 at 12:37pm Observer wrote:
"I think cyclists should have some form of competence test before being allowed on the road. As a motorist, some cyclists give me confidence - they are clearly in control of their cycle, travelling at a constant speed and riding reasonably close to the edge of the road. They are also aware when vehicles are behind them and take this into consideration. Other cyclists however are the complete opposite and these are a worry."
When people say this, I do wonder whether they're aware what is taught in cycling proficiency tests - i.e. taking the "primary position" in dangerous situations or at juncttions. This link shows you what I mean.

Check it out here »
On 13 Feb 2018 at 1:20pm Sid wrote:
@Observer. Yes, that is exactly what I mean. Did you notice how many times those cyclists were looking left, right, behind and scanning the way ahead? They were aware of what was going on around them - not often you see it done like that. And do they really teach you all that on cycling proficiency?
On 13 Feb 2018 at 2:26pm @@@Deja Vu wrote:
You are distorting the facts again. I didn't say it was US law, I said it wasn't a UK law, and it's not even a UK advisory. Get a bike and join us instead of stirring up unnececessary hostility based on the wrong information. Perhaps your attitude might change once you experienced the real joy of cycling.
On 13 Feb 2018 at 2:46pm @@@@Deja Vu wrote:
Oh sorry not America, I got confused by the comment:
"The quote you included is from an American book"...
I have a bike, I cycle it OFF ROAD (I don't even cycle it on the road to get where I'm going to cycle it off the road).
Personally I think anyone who cycles on the road is mental, no seriously why would you have such disregard for your own life - the road is not a safe place for bikes to be on, don't you know everyone hates you?
As for cyclists that snarl up the road at the weekends for pleasure, they should all be shot.
On 13 Feb 2018 at 3:01pm Observer wrote:
I cycle all over Sussex roads at the weekend. I'm not aware of me snarling up traffic, I'm usually on deserted roads, it's very pleasant. Are we living in the same world? Roads other than A roads are available.
"As for cyclists that snarl up the road at the weekends for pleasure, they should all be shot."
As for car drivers that snarl up the roads driving to football matches, to see friends, to go to the cinema, to go to parties in the evening, they should all be shot too.
On 13 Feb 2018 at 3:18pm Me wrote:
Deja vu, you come across as a right T@t. I bet you are a selfish driver, cyclist and, no doubt, lover.
On 13 Feb 2018 at 3:23pm @Observer wrote:
"car drivers that snarl up the roads driving to football matches, to see friends, to go to the cinema", you're essentially saying that people using the roads to get "somewhere" are creating the traffic and not the people that are using to roads as personal cycling circuit?
I assume you'll claim now that you're not serious and that you're only posting to get a reaction?
I'm not surprised you get enjoyment out of having a queue of traffic behind you (it's probably the only reason you do it).
On 13 Feb 2018 at 3:37pm You wrote:
T@t ? what is th@t?
On 13 Feb 2018 at 3:38pm Cyclist7 wrote:
Wow my small comment has cause quite a stir I see.
I just wanted to make sure people are aware of where the cycle path begins and ends on the Brighton Road
On 13 Feb 2018 at 3:43pm Tom wrote:
If only people cycled more maybe we wouldn't be in the environmental epidemic we are now.
On 13 Feb 2018 at 3:44pm harry wrote:
lewes is changing 1 me bred of women drive 4x4 which can not park right or just will not park right the you have the new cyclist which like to take over the road and the rest of us have to put up with this crap
On 13 Feb 2018 at 4:29pm Rory wrote:
Its not really about cyclists versus drivers but just ego and selfishness (some on both sides.) When I ride it gives me joy.When driving I am mostly nervous and cautious. Its a chore.
Lots of scientists and engineers are cyclists, maybe they know the odd thing or two?

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Station Lewes 110:132
Station Lewes

Well it looks as if I can jet off soon , none of the loud mouths with nothing behind them have anything to say, all piss and wind... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy