Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Black Horse

On 16 May 2017 at 8:40am Lester wrote:
Been here lately? Looking rather grubby and uncared for. Especially the beer 'garden' - lots of dog ends and rubbish around. Such a shame...
On 16 May 2017 at 9:51am Chav wrote:
Still a bloody good pub though
On 16 May 2017 at 11:11am Old & Bitter wrote:
…as long as you don't like decent ales…
On 16 May 2017 at 12:40pm bobobob wrote:
They are a Green King pub so they've had to work hard to get ales that aren't GK IPA. Hat's off to them for that. Not a fan of Burning Sky brewery? They generally have a couple of their beers on.
And the food is great. Not many places like this with a proper pub atmosphere left.
On 16 May 2017 at 12:48pm Frostyknickers wrote:
Worst pub in lewes by a mile. All that bloody sport on both sides. Does my head in. Do they really think everyone wants to watch grown men kicking a ball around like a bunch of t#ts? On both sides of the room so can NEVER ESCAPE IT
On 16 May 2017 at 1:11pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I agree about the sport, and the state of the garden, but the pub is pretty good apart from that. It's always clean, they keep their beer well, and the food is ok.
Anyone who remembers what the beer garden was like in the days of Vic Newman would be horrified to see it now.
On 16 May 2017 at 4:43pm bobobob wrote:
A few years back it closed. The sport may not be to your taste but there's plenty of pubs without sky and if they need it to keep the business viable then there's not much they can do.
There's so little money to be made running pubs nowadays that I'm not surprised it's not in the best state. Freehold pubs are pretty much the only ones who can afford that.
On 16 May 2017 at 8:20pm Pubman wrote:
If you don't like the pub I look forward to not seeing you there. Probably won't see you in your favourite pub either. Bobobob it never actually closed. Just felt like it had.
On 17 May 2017 at 6:54am Good god wrote:
It's a pub! If you want somewhere that's clinical and devoid of any character go drink at Pelham House.
On 17 May 2017 at 2:58pm Lester wrote:
I agree it is a good pub with a good selection of ales - but it is sliding... Vic & Vron would not have let it get this bad. Just needs some tlc to bring it up again Also the sport attracts custom and a good atmosphere!
On 19 May 2017 at 9:46pm Khameltow wrote:
I often have drinks in the black horse, and enjoy a summers evening in the garden and to be honest in most pub gardens you find cigarettes on the floor because smokers are the most un thoughtful
and careless litter bugs.
I have noticed ash trays and ash bins that are provided for smokers in the garden at the black horse but they don't seem to use them, why would you throw a cigarette on the floor, or in the flowerpot when ash trays are there?!?
I wish smokers would be a bit more thoughtful of where they put their cigarette butts.
I think that Burning Sky are a fantastic local brewery and always see pints of Burning Sky being poured when I visit the pub, I don't think they have trouble selling that beer!
On 19 May 2017 at 9:57pm Little Richard wrote:
I use the pub quite frequently and I agree it needs a spruce up. Sadly the owner is never to be seen and its left to Kerry and Dec to do their best, that's when Dec isn't working elsewhere. But its a good friendly pub and there is always a good choice of ales available. Sunday lunches are bloody good too.
On 20 May 2017 at 1:55pm RonD wrote:
It's a shame that people so delusional and think this pub actually sells good food. I have been to this pub a few times and to be honest I have been disappointed with my experience every time. They used to have the kitchen open late in the evening and provided a nice selection of tapas. The service is hit and miss also. Sometimes it's really quick and friendly but on other occasions it has been to busy they have not had enough staff and the food comes out cold and uncooked. I must agree though, it could go with a good clean. It appears dirty and unkempt.

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Weeds for sale 130:132
Weeds for sale

Ian Duncan Moron more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like tea and faerie cakes on the Castle Green