Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Biodiversity day 22nd May on Railway Land.

On 21 May 2010 at 11:22am jonnyboy wrote:
A wildlife festival is being held on the Railway Land tomorrow. Go to www.railwaylandproject.org/Biodiversity_Day_on_22nd_May for details.

On 21 May 2010 at 12:50pm Clifford wrote:
I assume everyone has taken a good look at the monstrous eyesore constructed on the railway land?

On 21 May 2010 at 1:07pm Old cynic wrote:
I think monstrous is a bit OTT! I disliked it at first bur have grown rather fond of the heart of weeds. It's full of life, ive seen kingfishers, ducks, moorhens,coots, herons, swans and egrets which is more than when it wads slimy stream with a clappedout bridge over it! However I do loathe the Linklater Pavillion IMO a crappy bit of design and a waste of space.....

On 21 May 2010 at 1:33pm Penguin wrote:
I think the pavillion is what Clifford was referring to.

On 21 May 2010 at 3:09pm Clifford wrote:
Yes, sorry, should have made myself clearer - the Linklater Pavilion is what I was referring to. Something Lewes will be stuck with for years to come.

On 21 May 2010 at 3:55pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
What poor sod was it named after, they must be well chuffed.

On 21 May 2010 at 4:11pm Down and Out wrote:
Agreed Clifford. I'm an architect and I often find myself defending other architects, but whoever commissioned and designed that wretched turd needs to be kicked repeatedly until they promise never to have anything to do with the built environment ever again. It's a building that's so ugly that if you stand in front of it with your eyes shut you can hear it being ugly.

On 21 May 2010 at 5:02pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Pmsl! Excellent description, D&O.

On 21 May 2010 at 5:41pm Clifford wrote:
Brilliant description Down and Out. I'll steal your words and use them one day.

On 21 May 2010 at 8:11pm zola wrote:
Nice one Clifford...

On 21 May 2010 at 9:32pm Old cynic wrote:
LOL!!! It's such a crappy building, ugly, shoddy but what's worse is it's useless- just what is it for????

On 22 May 2010 at 12:40pm MC wrote:
Biodiversity day at Railway Land is great. Well worth getting down go. The kids loved dipping with The Sussex Ouse Conservation Society and looking at all the little beasties under a microscope. BTW. The Linklater building didn't look at all bad to me an anyway it is hidden away. It's going to be very useful too.... All sorts of wildlife and conservation organisations will be using it for all sorts of things including promoting the natural world to visitors. There is a tour at 4.00pm so find out for youselves.

On 22 May 2010 at 8:59pm Old cynic wrote:
You don't need a building to study biodiversity!

On 22 May 2010 at 9:55pm Clifford wrote:
'The Linklater building didn't look at all bad to me an anyway it is hidden away.' Hardly a ringing endorsement of the monstrosity.

On 23 May 2010 at 2:10am Bad Gina wrote:
Are you blind?
It is hideous (complete with it's 1980's red paint). An eyesore as far as I am concerned.

On 23 May 2010 at 4:10am MC wrote:
Desks, computers and an offices are great aids to studying. It will be used for talks, lectures and meetings and may house a library of sorts. I really can't see what the fuss is about. The building is fine as it is. And anyway it is hidden away, and will meld with it's surroundings as time passes and the wooden cladding ages.

On 23 May 2010 at 8:11am Old cynic wrote:
The building is hardly hidden and it's bright red! The breeze block base won't age and the wooden cladding just looks cheap. I presume the site will be used by schools all of whom will have desks, computers etc back at their base. Other groups have access to several venues across the town. I just don't see the point of creating a building that has no real function.

On 23 May 2010 at 8:46am Misery wrote:
Would the Railway land not have been better used to put a railway on it, going somewhere like Uckfield. What the hell is Biodiversity anyway? It sounds like something you can get a grant for because its a noble cause.

On 23 May 2010 at 11:08am kevsy wrote:
Better still concrete the whole lot over and build a car park. How did you learn to type and yet not know what biodiversity is? Breathtaking

On 23 May 2010 at 11:29am Clifford wrote:
Bad Gina wrote: 'Are you blind?'

See the quotation marks round what I wrote about the pavilion Bad Gina? That means I was quoting someone, not that I was expressing my opinion.

On 23 May 2010 at 1:02pm Boring wrote:
makes a change Clifford, you're usually ramming your opinions down everyone's throats

On 23 May 2010 at 1:04pm Bad Gina wrote:
Sorry for the misunderstanding Clifford, my comment was aimed at MC too.
I now think MC is just trying to wind us up (latest post says building is "hidden away")

On 23 May 2010 at 4:15pm Misery wrote:
Her you go Kevsy:
Biodiversity is the variation of life forms within a given ecosystem, biome, or on the entire Earth. Biodiversity is often used as a measure of the health of biological systems. The biodiversity found on Earth today consists of many millions of distinct biological species. The year 2010 has been declared as the International Year of Biodiversity.
I just learned sumfink,innit... fanks Mate
I typed this using 2 fingers just for you! HeHeHe

On 23 May 2010 at 4:28pm parky wrote:
Anyone with the name "Kevsy" surely can't be taken seriously and must out on licence.

On 23 May 2010 at 4:57pm Old cynic wrote:
Kevsy and Misery you are both just being silly now! The railway land is brilliant it's just the building that's a bit rubbish. I hope it's protected forever from wide boy developers andlocal concillors with daft ideas. I hope the pavillion doesn't herald development creep.

On 23 May 2010 at 6:03pm isore wrote:
The funnist bit is the price: £500,000 Actually on second thoughts the funnist bit is the little umbrella on top of the restrained zinc alloy fire escape.

On 23 May 2010 at 7:10pm Clifford wrote:
Boring wrote: 'makes a change Clifford, you're usually ramming your opinions down everyone's throats'

Since when has reading the forum been compulsory?

On 23 May 2010 at 9:19pm Rsore wrote:
Fire escape is a laugh; how will disabled people get out in the event of some disaster? And I believe that someones collection of stones is to be brought down from Scotland to stick on tope of the breeze blocks. Complete waste of money.

On 23 May 2010 at 11:24pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
My goodness. Now we are post election there's an awful lot of griping and moaning going on. I'd almost forgotten how negative this forum can be.

On 24 May 2010 at 7:02am Old cynic wrote:
BB normal service has resumed!

On 24 May 2010 at 4:13pm MC wrote:
Am in agreement with you BB. It's a bit sad. There's even another Bills thread.

Oh well, look on the bright side.. there'll probably be another election within 6 months.

On 24 May 2010 at 4:25pm Gourmet wrote:
Brixtonbelle: 'My goodness. Now we are post election there's an awful lot of griping and moaning going on. I'd almost forgotten how negative this forum can be.'

Was this you on the Bill's thread Brixtonbelle, or is there another Brixtonbelle? 'I wish Bills would stop charging so much for their fruit and veg. And their queueing system thru the fruit and veg bit is even more annoying'

On 24 May 2010 at 6:11pm Deptford Dave wrote:
Typical dfl, bl00dy whinger.

On 25 May 2010 at 2:45am Brixtonbelle wrote:
Yes Gourmet, it was me, but I did qualify what I said by being nice about Bills as well! There just seems to be a lot of moaning for the sake of it.
Maybe everyone is exhausted after all the election debates.

Anyway - hope everyone is enjoying the gorgeous weather in this lovely town !

On 25 May 2010 at 7:46am Gourmet wrote:
Yes BB, I was just doing a bit of selective quoting. Agree with you about the queue and, although I've been critical, I don't think Bill's fruit is particularly expensive, though the quality is beginning to drop.

2 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Martyrs 71:132
Lewes Martyrs

Yeah flog em and lock them up. There’s no hope for you Hamid. Enjoy the next five years. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde