Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Bill's sells out

On 24 Jun 2008 at 1:09pm Miss Daisy wrote:
Has anyone seen the Argus today?

On 24 Jun 2008 at 4:18pm capt cook wrote:
Anyrthing to do with my posting on the 21st May Re: selling to Strada.
Smiler says it all rubbish

On 24 Jun 2008 at 4:19pm Toenail wrote:
No - Is it some undercover investigation from the Argos? How Bill buys average fruit and veg at a reasonable price and then peddles it on to gullible idiots (read gulliable midddle class idiots at the Lewes branch) at a vast mark up just because it's nicely stacked and people believe they are buying into a utopian lifestyle dream.

On 24 Jun 2008 at 4:21pm Toenail wrote:
No - Is it some undercover investigation from the Argos? How Bill buys average fruit and veg at a reasonable price and then peddles it on to gullible idiots (read gulliable midddle class idiots at the Lewes branch) at a vast mark up just because it's nicely stacked and people believe they are buying into a utopian lifestyle dream.

On 24 Jun 2008 at 4:27pm Arthur Broomhead wrote:
I'm not so sure that they're "gullible idiots" Toenail. They just have money and don't really care if you can get it cheaper elsewhere. They're not buying "cheap" - they LIKE to shop in Bill's. It's as simple as that. If it's marked up - they don't care. Anyway, back to the main point of the post - come on Miss Daisy, save me the price of the paper, what's the story in the Argus?

On 24 Jun 2008 at 5:00pm Miss Daisy wrote:
Someone called Richard Caring who owns lots of posh restaurants in London as well as a golf club has bought a stake in Bills so they can expand. Mr Collison said that Bills will not change though. But Mr Caring used to own Strada.

On 24 Jun 2008 at 5:09pm PE wrote:
I heard. They all say they won't change but once a bigwig gets hold of a small company the ethics go out the window, they have targets to meet and money to make.
I'm saddened by this news, I can't believe Bill's has sold out.....no more a small local businesses.
We, the customer, will probably pay the price.

On 24 Jun 2008 at 5:25pm Arthur Broomhead wrote:
Yes, that's right, you the customer will pay the price or take your trade elsewhere. Such is the way of the world. Good luck to Bill I say!

On 24 Jun 2008 at 7:13pm Mark wrote:
Prehaps we will get our pavements back.

On 24 Jun 2008 at 9:08pm BONYAK wrote:
surprised he manages to sell out at those prices

On 24 Jun 2008 at 9:27pm toffeeapple wrote:
Can anyone tell me how come Bills is allowed to encroach on the pavement with his business when other traders are no permitted to do the same? It is impossible to get by with a wheelchair or pushchair & precarious if you walk with a stick. I dont understand why he is governed by different laws to others. He used to use all the space outside Argos too but notably I presume someone put a stop to that long ago.

On 24 Jun 2008 at 11:55pm Chav wrote:
Simple. He must have some knowledge about a councillor or 2 that don't want it spread. You know how it goes. "Oi Norm, can I put my tables all over the road or shall I tell the world about you and Natasha?"

On 25 Jun 2008 at 12:45am sashka wrote:
Re Bills illegal use of pavement. Highways have a stack of complaints about this, start kicking up a fuss with your local Councillor and use the words 'discrimination against other traders' Bills has also had run ins with hygene standards in the past.
As for being a 100% wholesome local business, then you should ask about the employment practices in the kitchen.
This business looks fine, but it is a very big fish in the small pond of Lewes and Brighton. If it is very successful, that will be lovely for Bill, but I hope that some of the less pleasant aspects of the way that Bills has been operating are not repeated. he could even put some money back into the town, by helping fund some pavement improvement in places other than right outside his own shop.

On 25 Jun 2008 at 7:52am sashimi wrote:
Isn't the real question: would Lewes be better or worse off without Bills? I walk past far more often than I drop in, but I think it's a nice buzzy place with a character of its own that's missing from Cafe Nerro - and from Tesco and Waitrose veg counters. Let's keep it there and if the Bills brand is going to become famous, at least we can say it started in Lewes - like Clothkits and Greenpeace etc.

On 25 Jun 2008 at 8:42am Arthur Broomhead wrote:
Well said sashimi. My goodness there are an awful lot of moaners in Lewes. Bill gets some investment to expand and all you lot can do is moan about his prices and the pavements. It can only be envy. Bill's makes Cliffe High Street a better place for a lot of people. If you don't like Bills - don't go there.

On 25 Jun 2008 at 8:55am Smiler wrote:
Cliffe wouldn't be the same without Bill's. It makes the place, as opposed to the Brighton based Real Eating Company which doesn't seem to make any mark at all.

The jealous attitudes shown in this thread are so typical of the British need to put down anothers success.
In Australia or the States sucess is applauded and encouraged. If my son was as successful as Bill has become with all his hard work I would be a very proud man.

I hope when the road is pedestrianised he has a lot more space outside to put his tables and maybe then I'll get a seat once in a while.

I also know he puts a lot back into the community

Bill for Mayor!

On 25 Jun 2008 at 9:23am Taff wrote:
Does pedestrianised mean that cyclists are allowed entry?
If they are must they be walking their bikes and NOT riding them?
Well done Bill.

On 25 Jun 2008 at 11:01am sashka wrote:
Bills isn't terrible, it is just sad that anyone can get that excited about a nicely presented cafe with a greengrocers. is says something about the standard of everywhere else. I am sure it has good days and bad with the food, like anywhere else, and it is obviously popular.
Obviously none of the postees above have physical disabilities, poor eyesight or a buggy, or they would know that ESCC Highways are fed up with Bill and his constant pavement creep. It also seems to be the only shop in Lewes that is allowed to reserve a permenant loading bay in the road.
All that glisters is not gold.

On 25 Jun 2008 at 11:20am Mark wrote:
would be goodif it could be restored to a supermarket again.
I rember working there on Saturdays as a youngster and it was always a busy place to shop.
prehaps Aldi's could step in.

On 25 Jun 2008 at 11:33am Arthur Broomhead wrote:
I feel very sorry for people with physical disabilities and poor eyesight sashka, but don't put people with buggies in the same category. Lewes's pavements are overcrowded with people pushing 4X4 buggies around as if no-one else has a right to be walking there. If Bill's encroachment on the pavement is a problem for the disabled then that's not good at all and Highways should do something about it - if however it reduces the number of oversized pushchairs in the area - that's really good news I say. Pavements for pedestrians!!!!!

On 25 Jun 2008 at 11:34am Hard to stomach wrote:
Apparently Martin Elliott has breakfast there each morning. Put's me right off!

On 25 Jun 2008 at 11:38am Boycotter wrote:
It doesnt surprise me that people moan about Bills, he takes the mick when it comes to his little 'area' and he is an ever expanding business just like tesco was, but for some reason he's ok to do it, but not tesco!!! I know there is a vast difference in size but, tesco was that small once. And after getting inside info about the food, and how he uses the out of date fruit and veg he cant sell to make all the 'lovely' food everyone pays a fortune for, i have stopped going there, as it is a rip off. He is laughing all the way to the bank, and the mugs in Lewes are paying high prices for below standard food. Just dressed up a little with a few herbs. That story doesnt surprise me, and now all those lewes people that made big deals about boycottng tesco will eventually have to do the same to bill out of principle or they show themselves as hypocrites. You watch, it will happen!!!!!

On 25 Jun 2008 at 1:08pm Buggie pusher wrote:
Arthur Broomhead...you should rename yourself...I suggest Arthur Knobhead....I take it you have never had children and have never had to push a buggie round town in your life...even for an average normal buggie, Bill's abuse of the pavement makes it very difficult to get by...

On 25 Jun 2008 at 1:17pm Arthur Broomhead wrote:
Now, now, Buggie Pusher - there's no need to get personal. Average normal buggies? Most of them are two seaters with offroad tyres and more bags hanging from them than a supermarket trolley. They're the size of a small car and many are pushed around by people who are very inconsiderate for the elderely and the infirm let alone the "ordinary pedestrian". Bills "abuse of the pavement". What are you on about?! Go and push your Landrover Pushchair somewhere else.

On 25 Jun 2008 at 1:33pm The Super K wrote:
Wow Stop.
1) Greenpeace was founded in Lewes?
2) I thought Bill WAS the Mayor!

On 25 Jun 2008 at 2:03pm Smiler wrote:
Theres two sides to every road!
But I think you'll find there's not much more room on the pavement outside Harveys shop.

On 25 Jun 2008 at 2:12pm demon wrote:
i agree toenail .plus to shop in lewes u need a lot of money thats why i shop in brighton and uckfield /but they are all connected the shops in lewes how? freemaisons . lewes council is greedy nasty selfish cos i have 3 kids i work parttime i get familytax credit every thing is all means tested they want to know everything u get and they screw u for every penny u get they want u to have nothing they r a bunch of bxxxxxxs

On 25 Jun 2008 at 3:22pm Arthur is a knobhead wrote:
Arthur I have the smallest of buggies yet I still struggle to get round at bills I love bills I think it's great but try taking a sleepin child over curbs etc in small buggies is not easy.
especially as the road is normally full of boxs of veg.
add to that the group of six people chatting to the one man having a coffee on the table on the pavement.

we have the same rights as everyone else to push our buggies anywhere we like. or should we just say B@llocks to it and drive our cars just so bill can hog the pavement.
why not let feathers and fins put a big pile of steaming dog poo on the pavement to demonstrate dog poo collectors they sell.
wow what a great place the cliffe would be then.
you said
Go and push your Landrover Pushchair somewhere else.
we would if we could get past.

On 25 Jun 2008 at 3:50pm Arthur Broomhead wrote:
The six people chatting have as much right as you to be there too. I am sure if you ask them politely to move, they would. What is your problem? People stopping to chat on the pavement is not a criminal offence. As smiler said - there are two sides to every road - cross over and push off!

On 25 Jun 2008 at 5:14pm ToeNail wrote:
Arthur,
I can only presume from your fanaticial devotion to defending all things Bill you must be related OR you worship him as a deity? I quite like Bills but I'm acutely aware that the margins he makes are sky high on veg that is not that special (hence the new investor). Pointing this out and his pavement policy is ok because not everyone like Smiler's for instance is a brainwashed marketers dream!
Question Would you defend Bill if he burnt round town in a yellow Fiat?

On 25 Jun 2008 at 6:32pm Arthur Broomhead wrote:
Go back and read again Toenail. I'm not "defending" Bill. I'm defending commercial businesses. If I don't like the price of something - I don't buy it. I don't slag off the shop-keeper nor other people who do want to pay. If people pay and he makes a profit - good luck to him. If the authorities are toothless - you can't blame businesses for taking advantage. Now, if you don't like my anti 4X4 pushchair stance - that is something to fight about! Bring it on! Pavements for Pedestrians!

On 25 Jun 2008 at 7:08pm Toffeeapple wrote:
Ok we all know some people have huge pushchairs & some drive mobility scooters & maybe some dont need to & are inconsiderate but there are many more who do need to & they deserve some consideration. Its safer to have a baby & toddler or two youngsters in a double pushchair than to try & manover round town with them on foot. Why should disabled people struggling to walk or blind & elderly people have to cross over due to Bills inconsiderate selfishness. I have nothing against him personally or his business, good luck to him I am glad he is successful, I just think it would be nice if he could ensure other people could go about there business unhindered.
Maybe other shops should all follow suit, then maybe the powers that be will regulate everyone equally.
How come Bill stopped using the area outside Argos & the steps like he used to?

On 25 Jun 2008 at 7:29pm MK wrote:
If everyone nicks one item from his cluttered display on the way past he might get the hint and move it off the public pavement. He thinks he owns the cliffe, the bloke just caters for DFL's!

On 25 Jun 2008 at 8:02pm Bill Collisons Agent wrote:
DFL's? What are they and can I offer them a Bill's Platinum Credit Card?

On 25 Jun 2008 at 8:18pm sashka wrote:
the requirement to keep the pavement clear to a particular width is a legal one. it is not for Bill or anyone else to start making decisions about what they think is a wide or narrow buggy. A mobility scooter would have trouble getting past Bills display, and ithe pavement is not his propety. neithe ris the road. technically there should be nothing of his on it. We can clearly compromise in the name of encouraging a business, and an attrcative street, but Mr Collinson regularly takes the micky. the road is dangerous and it is often barely possible to walk down the pavement without knocking a box, let alone the narrowest of buggies. Please don't try to defend the indefesible!
I understand Argos had problems with 'Bills creep' by their shop front too.

On 25 Jun 2008 at 8:30pm anon wrote:
I was told he sold his shop for 3.5 million

On 25 Jun 2008 at 9:15pm SHS wrote:
Were the pavements included? I'm puzzled that so much fuss is kicked up about some flimsy tables at Bill's but it seems ok for motorists all over town to park on and block pavements. I've lost count of the amount of times I've been forced into the road because an inconsiderate car driver can't be bothered to walk and doesn't even leave space to walk sideways on the pavement, let alone space for a 4x4 pushchair.

On 25 Jun 2008 at 9:21pm SHS wrote:
Ok I've read the other posts now and the solution is simple.
Widen all the pavements in Lewes. Pedestrianise the entire Cliffe High street. Eliminate on-street parking.

On 25 Jun 2008 at 10:18pm toffeeapple wrote:
Where do they park on the pavement in the Cliffe SHS? I dont think you have been reading this forum much or you would know people make plenty of fuss about all angles of parking problems on here. The fuss on this thread is not about flimsy tables, its the fact that people cannot walk on the public pavement because Bills selfishly encroaches onto it barely leaving space for people to pass. If someone was to fall outside his shop I wonder who would be responsible?

On 25 Jun 2008 at 10:43pm Bill Collisons Agent wrote:
How sad you are Toffeeapple to think if someone falls it just has to be someone else's fault. Perhaps people should look where they're going? Perhaps if they're pushing a huge 4X4 pushchair they should know by now that Cliffe High Street's pavements are narrow. It's a narrow street you wally - Bills or no Bills. Perhaps you think I should blame people who make Toffeeapples for my teeth falling out?

On 26 Jun 2008 at 10:12am Lord Landport wrote:
BCA what if the person falling outside is blind they cant watch where they're going ?
see how this is leading the only person to blame is Bill
I Love his shop his food drink etc and it makes the cliffe
a bright place to shop eat drink etc.
But hes putting stuff on the pavement hes in the wrong end
off story if he has permission as his agent you provide it so we can then blame the relevant person who gave him permision not Bill

On 26 Jun 2008 at 12:52pm BCA wrote:
You're as barking as a Toffeeapple, Lord Landport. Next you'll be wanting a giant stana stairlift up school hill.

On 26 Jun 2008 at 1:12pm Lord Landport wrote:
BCA
Sorry if the fact that I worry how blind people, people like myself with children in pushchairs and the elderly can negotiate past bills does'nt make me mad.
yes the streets are narrow in the cliffe so why add to it by putting tables on the pavement. if he crammed in more tables inside and you had to squeeze past inside that would be my choice if i eat in his shop but why should i squeeze past on a public pavement (which my tax's pay for) if i want to shop at one of the other shops in the cliffe.
think the only one barking here is you BCA

On 26 Jun 2008 at 1:25pm BCA wrote:
Please don't align yourself with the blind and elderly. You made a choice to have children and you have the same choice not to squeeze past but to cross the road - or even not to go there at all if you know the pavements are narrow. Don't be such a spoiler. Bills adds a huge vibrancy to the cliffe. Without it - all the shops would suffer. "on a public pavement which my tax's pay for)" - moan, moan, spoil and moan.

On 26 Jun 2008 at 2:38pm Lord Landport wrote:
I have a very good friend who is blind and struggles to get past and has stumbled over people bags chair legs etc on several occasions.
Yes I did choose to have kids and i could cross the road or not go there at all.
firstly why should I cross the road just because bill is hogging the pavement.
how is me deciding to not go to the shops further down the cliffe helping the other shops as you mentioned.
Im not argueing that bills is vibrant read my posts saying i like bills.
You just seem to have a blinkered view of this with Bill is a god don't dare critize him attitude. You may also have a finacial insentive being bills agent or just a username I dont know but we all have the right to voice our opinions
and mine is what hes doing is wrong and he's the only spoiler .

On 26 Jun 2008 at 2:48pm Miss Daisy wrote:
3.5mil!!! That's far more interesting than whether he takes up too much pavement space. Just on pavements - if he gets away with it, why not? Good luck to him. Its up to the council to stop it. But...3.5mil!! Wow! Lets hope some of his newfound cash is going towards paying some of his employees the national minimum wage.

On 26 Jun 2008 at 2:57pm BCA wrote:
moan, moan, bore, moan, spoil, moan, bore!

On 26 Jun 2008 at 3:01pm Taff wrote:
Tolerance, to quote an oft used word these days.
If it wasnt for accidents we would not need insurance. Now that would be a wasted investment wouldnt it.

On 26 Jun 2008 at 9:01pm MK wrote:
It'll be worse once it's pedestrianised in the cliffe, he'll try and block the whole bloody road then, he's just greedy

On 26 Jun 2008 at 11:41pm Smiler wrote:
He's just providing something an awful lot of people want. If nobody wanted to sit in th road there would be no point putting the chairs and tables out. Bill's not the villain here

On 27 Jun 2008 at 5:43pm I Spy wrote:
On more than one occasion, I've seen Bill's staff in Tesco's buying unfeasibly large amounts of veg, like a whole tray of lettuces or two baskets of musrooms.
I wonder if he uses Tesco to stock up his shop if he runs out during the day?

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Closet and Botts window 28:132
Closet and Botts window

Actually, I would like to add to what I have written above. I understand your concerns about medical marijuana, especially if you... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare