Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Bills again !!!

On 28 Jun 2008 at 10:54am Big Billy blue hat wrote:
This particular establishment seems to be getting increasingly bad press at the moment.
I must admit to walking past there yesterday and people were struggling to walk on the pavement with all the tables and chairs.
I know there's no cars in the high st at the moment but if we parked on the pavement in our cars, we'd get a ticket or, as mentioned by "council bod" in another thread, towed away (rumours of people being threatened with tow-aways when parked on the "bullnoses" on landport).
I don't care how important he is as a local business or how much he does for the town, at the end of the day, Bill is doing this for one thing...maximum profit for himself, and if he gets away with putting chairs out on the pavement, he'll increase his profit.

On 28 Jun 2008 at 11:46am geoff wrote:
of course if every business in Lewes disregard their legal obligations like this, so they could make more profit, they might be a bit more successful, and Bill's might have a bit more competition.

On 28 Jun 2008 at 12:26pm MK wrote:
I dont think bills care about Lewes or what people think, very arrogant

On 28 Jun 2008 at 5:44pm anon wrote:
especially as half of lewes sit on those chairs and tables and pays his grossly over the top prices.

On 28 Jun 2008 at 8:28pm Smiler wrote:
Half of Lewes obviously don't think the prices are grossly over the top then.

On 28 Jun 2008 at 8:30pm anon wrote:
I would think if enough people phoned the council & complained about Bills on the dreaded health & safety grounds he would be made to stop nicking any of the publics pavement. Often people complain to each other but dont bother to contact the powers that be assuming others will have already done so. Other shops are quickly stopped when they break the rules. Bill is unlikely to still be able to get away with this practice after enough people have complained. Lets try all it & see if he has some immortal power over the towns regulations!

On 28 Jun 2008 at 8:31pm anonon wrote:
I would think if enough people phoned the council & complained about Bills on the dreaded health & safety grounds he would be made to stop nicking any of the publics pavement. Often people complain to each other but dont bother to contact the powers that be assuming others will have already done so. Other shops are quickly stopped when they break the rules. Bill is unlikely to still be able to get away with this practice after enough people have complained. Lets try all it & see if he has some immortal power over the towns regulations!

On 29 Jun 2008 at 10:49am pepper clove gingerstalk wrote:
Oh quit your whining. Theres so much worse going on in the world, but all you pessismists seem to moan about is a peice of pavement thats being blocked by Bills. Chill, relax. Its not like the whole of Cliffes pavement is blocked off.
And maybe you shouldnt judge people you dont know. Of course Bill cares about Lewes .
Bill loves his job also.
Anyway, soon Cliffe will be pedestrianised so it wont matter will it. I mean, yeah, go to the council and complain about it, your choice, but at the end of the day does it really matter?
Everyone is getting so worked up about the silliest things

On 29 Jun 2008 at 10:52am Billy blue hat wrote:
Hey....so Bill does write on this forum !!!!!!!!! Or could it be Bills secret lovechild ? who knows

On 29 Jun 2008 at 11:04am pepper clove ginger stalk wrote:
you people are so sad

On 29 Jun 2008 at 11:04am Jesus. wrote:
Well said my son...Amen.

On 29 Jun 2008 at 11:08am Ginge Moose wrote:
What do you expect us all to do then pepper? Put up with it? Why should we? Bills is overpriced,over rated,and all over the pavements.I think we should all complain.Who do we complain to by the way?

On 29 Jun 2008 at 11:10am pepper clove ginger stalk wrote:
i know. thats who. And i dont know Bill inside and out but i know enough about him to instinctly say that all the crap about Bill is absoulutly total rubbish!

On 29 Jun 2008 at 11:14am pepper clove ginger stalk wrote:
If you hate it so much dont go there!
What is there to put up with? I mean pavement situation isnt fatal is it? It not really a bother is it? All you have to do is walk around it and soon youll be able to walk on the road so theres no point complaining really is there.
Why is everyone so pessisimistic about it. Its just such a waist of time!

On 29 Jun 2008 at 11:22am Mum of 2. wrote:
Yes,but when you avoid the congestions at the pavement,and go round the pleasingly arranged piles of fruit and veg scattered all over the road,with a pushchair...It isn't easy you know.Agreed,when it is pedestrianised things will get better.I never go into Bills,it is too crowded and too expensive for me.And this forum is mainly for discussing Lewes issues,which this is.So please don't whine with the 'Don't you have anything else to talk about?'card,cos it won't wash.

On 29 Jun 2008 at 2:31pm toffeeapple wrote:
Poor pepper clove gingerstalk (or lover of bill), if that was your pathetic attempt to deter everyone on mass complaining to the council about bills your pleas & protests will have the opposite effect & we will all be phoning in our complaints on Monday.
And for your information it may not bother everyone but it most certainly causes a bother to some & a very real hazard to others. Still you neednt worry coz if as you say its not a problem the powers that be will deem bills profits to be more important than the public so he will be allowed to continue. Sadly & you may not actually believe this, but not everyone wants to go there, they just want to pass by without tiptoeing around bills overspill. Imagine if other shops adopted a similar selfish attitude! If Bill is such a credible intrepid pillar of the community as some would have us believe he would set a more caring example to others. Next you will be saying he does a lot for chaaaa rity when unfortunately its all about him & hes definitely joined the me me me culture.

On 29 Jun 2008 at 2:49pm Lewes Laugher wrote:
Wait until Bill puts in an application to build a ten storey restaurant-apartments complex on the corner.

On 29 Jun 2008 at 3:30pm Mum of 2. wrote:
On 24/06/2008 Miss Daisy wrote:
Someone called Richard Caring who owns lots of posh restaurants in London as well as a golf club has bought a stake in Bills so they can expand. Mr Collison said that Bills will not change though. But Mr Caring used to own Strada.
So what can we expect then? Richard Caring could buy the chazza shop next to Bills and expand further...And have a larger share of the pavement space...

On 29 Jun 2008 at 5:34pm anonon wrote:
I dont care if his business spreads upwards &/or sideways or if he is successful & worth millions - good luck to him...just get him off the ****** pavement!!!

On 29 Jun 2008 at 7:22pm Disgruntled wrote:
If any of you want to complain about the obstrution outside of Bill's you need to contact Mr G Lake at East Sussex County Council Highways Department,I have reported Bills many times, Mr Lake will act on any complaint, he has visited Bill's following my commplains at rang me back.
Good Luck to all who contact Mr G Lake.

On 29 Jun 2008 at 7:36pm Billy blue hat wrote:
Disgruntled....if you complained many times, and this Mr Lake has acted. why on earth is Bills still flouting the law ???

On 29 Jun 2008 at 7:42pm SHS wrote:
I counted no less than seven cars parked on and totally blocking pavements during a 5-minute journey through part of Lewes last week. Some of the cars belonged to mothers dropping off kids at school. Cars move and can kill - the flimsy tables outside Bill's have not moved and killed to my knowledge. Other more important items to complain about include late or non-existant busses, the stolen bus station, pollution, destruction of trees, absence of a rail link to Uckfield, absence of democracy in the planning department and cold weather in winter.

On 29 Jun 2008 at 7:48pm pepper clove ginger stalk wrote:
ok, ok i see your point. I am not trying to defend Bill. But it sertaintly isnt OK to slag him off about this. He might not know how much it annoys you all. Maybe if you personally talked to him when Bills shuts then he will do something about it . I doubt Mr Lake actually changes anything when inspecting Bills though. So maybe actually doing something about it might help. Instead of just moaning about it and not acting on it. Cos that wont change anything.

On 29 Jun 2008 at 8:17pm Disgruntled wrote:
You want to ring Mr Lake before you all continue to moan on about bill's. I have also gone into the shop and asked for the backboard and chairs to be removed when they are blocking the pavement also on the road, the staff move them, yes the may well put them back when I have gone but I will continue to go in the shop to get bthe things moved. Try it your self.

On 29 Jun 2008 at 8:36pm disgruntled the original wrote:
Someone seems to be taking my name in vain, I love going in to Bills and enjoy the occasional alfresco coffee, I think Lewes would benfit from more pavement cafes and a lot less on street parking, we don't need any more building in the town, just more car parks.

On 29 Jun 2008 at 9:28pm anonon wrote:
ok so thats settled then. we will all ring Mr Lake tomorrow & lets see what unfolds...watch this thread :-)

On 29 Jun 2008 at 11:55pm s.oliver wrote:
Bill knows very well what everyone thinks about his pavement creep. It is his contempt for the people his behaviour affects that is so disappointing. Mr Lake knows all about Bill, and there are some complicated reasons why ESCC have not taken action against him already. Following ESCC advice someone in Cliffe is keeping a log of his behaviour, and breaches (Bill take note) and has been doing so for some time. He is sailing close to the wind and is likely to have to have to start paying a licence once the pedestraianisation is implemented, and the pavement is wider.
It is rather sad to see someone from Lewes be so unreasonable.

On 30 Jun 2008 at 10:53am sashimi wrote:
I didn't know Lewes was so full of picky people. If the pavement's blocked by someone using it, walk round or use the other side of the street. First thing, Bill's staff use the pavement and the street to swiftly unload fresh vegetables. What's wrong with that? As I understand it, the authorities are obliged to allow him to do so. It's not as if Bill sticks all his chairs out and blocks the pavement with empty furniture all day. Except in inclement weather the seats are full most of the time.

On 30 Jun 2008 at 12:54pm INRS wrote:
A few weeks ago I had occasion to have to park in Argos car park, and some stupid woman was sitting at one of Bills tables, having placed her shopping, and a small child in a push chair actually in the road. It was very difficult for me to get through, yet she made no attempt to move either shopping or child, but instead glared at me as if to say how dare you drive your car in the road. Its not just Bill who seems not to care, but also his stuck up clientele, who from this incident seem to value their cup of coffee more than their children.

On 30 Jun 2008 at 2:24pm enoch wrote:
I know an old lady who slipped off the kerb outside Bills because the pavement was so congested and badly twisted her ankle. Bills staff went out of their way to help her and took her in for a cup of tea whilst she regained her composure. However being an old person she "did not want to make a fuss" and did not make a complaint to the Council. I wonder how many others this has happened to.

On 30 Jun 2008 at 8:51pm geoff wrote:
Obviously don't spend much time walking past Bills.
The parking space outside is permenantly blocked with a board and/or boxes etc. No one else canm do this. the pavement is regularly blocked all day. Sometimes it is clear for a while because someone has complained, and Bill retreat it for a while.
This is indefensible. If all the shopkeepers did this we could walk onj any pavement, whichever side. It is just plain selfish.
The road with tables and chairs is not adopted highway, so there is an ongoing battle with Argos. i've been told they had to take action against Bill.
No one is picky, you may think differently if you had to push a buggy around, had poor sight or another disability. You would see public rights of way, for that is what they are. in a completely different light.

On 30 Jun 2008 at 9:22pm anonon wrote:
Right...so did we all ring & complain to the council today? Did anyone that bothered to ring get a promising response?

On 30 Jun 2008 at 10:28pm George Doors wrote:
Go and speak to Bill directly rather than nancying around with Mr Lake.

On 30 Jun 2008 at 10:57pm ANONON wrote:
Bin there, done that, so have countless others. The guy is fully aware of peoples views, he's simply isnt really interested. He make all the right noises to peoples faces but is never genuine with absolutely no intention of being more considerate he reverts back to his pavement creeping ways before the day is out. The guy is a businessman, totally selfish & motivated by greed.

On 1 Jul 2008 at 8:57am Local wrote:
Bill is a big fish in a small pond - they're always the worst.

On 1 Jul 2008 at 9:07am Smiler wrote:
I don't believe its a coincidence that these threads have appeared at the same time as Bill starts to realise the benefits of all his hard work. Its juast that typical English sense of jealous outrage at someone elses success.
Its pathetic

On 1 Jul 2008 at 9:59am Local wrote:
Smiler - Or it might be that a lot of irritation about the man's arrogance has been building up and this is the release.

On 1 Jul 2008 at 10:03am Mum of 2. wrote:
The only reason I piped up was because someone commented on pushchairs....And it no fun sometimes manoeuvering around tables,blackboards,piles of veg,people having a chat...And the cars coming out of the Argos car park don't help.So I for one cant wait for the pedestrianisation.It will make the Cliffe a much nicer place to shop,and it isn't that bad now really...

On 1 Jul 2008 at 10:53am sashimi wrote:
Lewes isn't half full of a load of bitching old moaners. Two full threads on the iniquities of Bill's! Why not complain about the bonfire boys who illegally throw in the streets illegal rookscarers illegally imported from France, risk setting fire to the town each year and frighten the wits out of old ladies and dogs? Turn in the bloke(s) who have been blowing up parking meters. Report a few cyclists for riding on the pavements. If you don't like Bill's (or bonfire) just remember that an awful lot of people do. All that's needed is a little tolerance.

On 1 Jul 2008 at 11:06am Billy blue hat wrote:
But sashimi, whether you like Bills or not, he is illegally blocking a public highway

On 1 Jul 2008 at 11:57am Smiler wrote:
I walked past there this morning and the public highway wasn't blocked. The only time I have had a problem getting a pushchair past there is when other pedestrians are coming the other way which happens in exactly the same way on the other side of the road.
Only 7 posts to go in this thread, thank **** for that.

On 1 Jul 2008 at 11:58am Cup of tea wrote:
It's not the right place for an outside cafe there...too many car fumes and people trying to get by...

On 1 Jul 2008 at 12:10pm anonon wrote:
I dont see anyone resenting his success, he is a blatant daily offender who commits his offence & creates a hazard to vulnerable members of the public in full view of everyone including the law & bylaws & gets away with it! Sure people are fed up with the other things sashimi mentions but Bill arrogantly says a great big 'up yours' to everyone & I have yet to read a valid argument to say he is anything other than selfish. Take a look at the pathetic posts in his defence...'but we like Bill' duh!

On 1 Jul 2008 at 12:12pm anonon wrote:
I dont see that anyone is resenting his success, he is a blatant daily offender who commits his offence & creates a hazard to vulnerable members of the public in full view of everyone including the law & bylaws & gets away with it! Sure people are fed up with the other things sashimi mentions but Bill arrogantly says a great big 'up yours' to everyone & I have yet to read a valid argument to say he is anything other than selfish. Take a look at the pathetic posts in his defence...'but we like Bill' duh!

On 1 Jul 2008 at 12:14pm Count Down wrote:
Only 5 posts left after this one!

On 1 Jul 2008 at 12:20pm anonon wrote:
Hurrah & Mr Lake & several others are coming to get you Bill!!!

On 1 Jul 2008 at 12:45pm MK wrote:
Perhaps Rees Elliott could buy Bills and convert it into 60 flats, problem dealt with! Then the two most popular local business men could work together!

On 1 Jul 2008 at 1:00pm JamFactory wrote:
And whatever happened to that Mr Style who was going to build such fantastic blocks of flats on the floodplain? Hope he hasn't been squashed in the credit crunch.

On 1 Jul 2008 at 1:18pm Smiler wrote:
He's still there playing it softly softly I would guess.

On 1 Jul 2008 at 1:19pm Smiler wrote:
Bill is a fantastic hard working bloke who gives an awful lot to local charity and contribute and enormous amount to the vibrancy and economy of Cliffe
The foods fantastic too
Bill for Mayor

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Southover Grange and Gardens 108:132
Southover Grange and Gardens

Actually, I would like to add to what I have written above. I understand your concerns about medical marijuana, especially if you... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde