Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Bill's

On 23 May 2010 at 3:58pm Pavement Artist wrote:
Its high time we had another thread about our favourite local trader. What mud can we sling today?

On 23 May 2010 at 4:19pm Misery wrote:
It's too hot to sling mud, it's gone rather hard and would be dangerous. If you hit a DFL paying way over the odds sitting in Cliffe High Street you will be in serious grief.

On 23 May 2010 at 5:59pm supporter wrote:
change the bloody record.

On 23 May 2010 at 7:12pm Gourmet wrote:
The rigorous portion control that Bill's actual owner brought in. combined with the continuing recession, will ensure that custom will dry up over the next 12 months, so clearing the pavement. Bill's will become a Tesco Metro.

On 23 May 2010 at 11:39pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
I wish Bills would stop charging so much for their fruit and veg. And their queueing system thru the fruit and veg bit is even more annoying. Nice food though, if you can be bothered and have the time to queue.

On 24 May 2010 at 12:53am Chicken Licken. wrote:
Anyone know what he charges for large free range eggs?
I know hw sells them..They sell for £1.29 at my local shop and I do know that he sells the same eggs.
They come from Cooksbridge and are really nice...

On 24 May 2010 at 10:13am Mr Change wrote:
It does seem strange that Bill's are allowed to expand accross a public pavement and force the passing public into the road, do you not need permission to do this.

On 24 May 2010 at 10:17am Clifford wrote:
I understood that after years of 'unofficial agreement' with a particular ESCC officer (and interpret that as you will) Bill was finally forced to apply for a permit to take over part of the pavement. Of course, we never heard the result of that application.

On 24 May 2010 at 10:45am Mr Change wrote:
Oh I see, amazing that the council can give away our land to local business who happens to have friends in high places, I will send a flyer round to all the other business' in town, I am sure they will all be really pleased to hear they can just expand without having any official permission. Soon all the pedestrians will have to walk down the centre of the road.

On 24 May 2010 at 11:34am sashimi wrote:
Pavement Artist, see what you started. I enjoy sitting in the fresh air outside Bills.

On 24 May 2010 at 1:16pm Clifford wrote:
And even funnier, Mr Change, the council does it in our name and at our expense.

On 24 May 2010 at 2:55pm Sweaty wrote:
Why start a post to just bomabard abuse at Bills, I do not agree with Bills, I don't shop there and usually agree with the posts, but why just start a post to start another arguement with people who like Bills, unless you have a genuine problem why bother.
Yawn
Change the record

On 24 May 2010 at 3:07pm Mr Change wrote:
I can't speak for the person who started this post, and I was not aware of any bombardment campaign against Bill's, but then I am quite new to this site, and to be honest in the couple of months I have been visiting this site it appears to me that the majority of posts include a good deal of mudslinging.
However as far as Bill's is concerned I am not mudslinging I genuinely think it is rather odd that Bill's is allowed to completely take over a public right of way and expand their business in this way with apparently no permission? No other business would be allowed to do this so why is Bill's a special exception, are you by any chance that friend in a high place they seems to have?

On 24 May 2010 at 3:18pm MC wrote:
Oh God, what a grumpy bunch of curtain twitching no-hopers.

Cliffe High Street was a wonderful place to be this weekend. I can't think of a town with a more amenable centre. Bills only adds to the general good ambience.

Now stop moaning and go and find something grown-up to do.

On 24 May 2010 at 3:49pm Mr Change wrote:
MC If your not interested in being in a place where people express their opinions then may I suggest you don't read threads on forums or you may find yourself forever upset by all those 'grumpy no-hopers' as you so politley put it....., oh and glad to hear you had a nice weekend.

On 24 May 2010 at 4:11pm Independent thinker wrote:
Mr Change, I don't shop at Bill's other than to buy cheap local apples, pears and sweetcorn when in season (and eggs from Holmsbridge farm at £1.20 for large ones last I checked), but I pass by there often and have never had any problem staying on the pavement even with a buggy with scooters and shopping hanging off it. If you can't squeeze through a gap that huge how on earth do you cope with Fisher Street, Market Street or Station Street, or even the pavement on the other side of Bills? Why don't you rant about the tables, chairs and other goods outside other shops on the same pavement as Bills? Do they also have friends in "high places"? It really does sound like a personal vendetta, perhaps from a competitor. I've always understood why some people don't want to shop there, but I've never understood this obsession with him providing outside seating.

On 24 May 2010 at 4:27pm Mr Change wrote:
No vendetta or competition, and if what you say is true then I guess all business in Lewes can now put 50 odd chairs and tables outside their shops in order to expand their business, that's great, as I said I will let them all know, I am sure they will all be really pleased.....

On 24 May 2010 at 4:52pm MC wrote:
> If your not interested in being in a place where people express their opinions

Bills has been done to death here, again and again and again... ad nauseum..... It's so bl***** tedious!

This is the first Bills thread I've written into and it'll the the last one I read.

On 24 May 2010 at 6:03pm jrsussex wrote:
As with MC this is my first and will be my last on this post but as I understand it, and I have no idea if Bills has done this, but the established practice is to make an application to your local authority for a pavement licence, if granted then you can legally place tables and chairs on the pavement. I would add that the cost is several hundred pounds per annum, ask any publican that has outside furniture. The licence process does not apply if the area outside your premises are owned by that business. All you need to know now is, did Bills make an application and if so was it granted? Check with the licensing department of Lewes.

On 24 May 2010 at 6:05pm Roly Mo wrote:
Gourmet, I don't know whether you were trying to be ironic, but I think Bill's is very used to being a Tesco. I say, good on him, local boy fleecing the DFL's can't be a bad thing.

On 24 May 2010 at 6:15pm Clifford wrote:
As i said above, my understanding is that ESCC - as the highway authority - are the authority with responsibility for the pavement outside Bill's. As I also said, for a long time the shop had 'unofficial permission' from a particular ESCC officer (very irregular, I'd say) to take over the pavement but, following a number of complaints, ESCC told the owner he would have to seek official permission. I understand the application was made in the autumn. I don't know the result but presumably permission was granted. If not, then the situation continues to be very irregular.

On 25 May 2010 at 2:35am Brixtonbelle wrote:
What harm is there in his tables and chairs ? They don't take up all the pavement, it's hardly a dnager to walk past them, in fact you can pass by with ease, so why the grouching ? The pavemnets are more narrow and dangerous in fishcer street/station rd. I notice caffe neros has chairs outrside, as do lincolns. anyone checked whether they have made applications as well ? us brits love the pavement cafe ambience when we go abroad, so why are prople being so petty about bill's in particular when le magasin just further down has chairs etc on the pavemnet and so does the JHT ?

On 25 May 2010 at 5:41pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
The bit outside Lincolns is their forecourt, not part of the highway. Dunno about Cafe Nero, but it used to be a greengrocer and they used to have their fruit and veg out on the front, so maybe it goes with premises.

On 25 May 2010 at 6:16pm Smiler wrote:
From the Morris Road junction

Furs Feathers and Fins, Mays, Le Magasin, Bills, The John Harvey, Costa

and yet Bills is the only one that gets slagged off (again and again)

Why is that? discuss

On 25 May 2010 at 8:17pm TDA wrote:
Daft the lot of em

On 26 May 2010 at 7:30am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Because it epitomises a trend in Lewes that is deeply unpopular - pretentious and overpriced, and appealing to a certain type of customer: the Boden-clad middle classes with their over-indulged children.

On 26 May 2010 at 9:16am Clifford wrote:
Oi ACT, I've got a couple of Boden shirts (bought in a sale in Brighton). Apart from that, I agree with you.

On 26 May 2010 at 9:52am Brixtonbelle wrote:
Well maybe the trend will change with the increased tourism and the national park to even more twee shops selling rag dolls, corn dollies and crap pottery, instead.
I just like sitting outside a cafe with a nice cup of coffee in the sunshine and if that makes me middle class with overindulged children, so be it. Frankly the last time I had a cheap cup of coffee anywhere it was vile instant crap, so I'm happy to pay 1.70 for an occasional treat.

On 26 May 2010 at 6:12pm Old cynic wrote:
ACT I've got some Boden off e-bay dirt cheap I'm really worried folk will think I'm a DFL!!!

On 26 May 2010 at 11:10pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
boden clearly identifies the wearers as wannabee 4x4 country folk temporarily living west london. i believe dave camerons favourite brand is boden.

On 27 May 2010 at 12:55am Miscell Any wrote:
I agree with Smiler and Independent Thinker: I pass Bill's most days and have never had to go into the road. There are much worse places for pedestrians, if that's the problem. Bill's seems to serve as a useful scapegoat....
What I would like to know is what all the anti-Bill's people are FOR.

On 27 May 2010 at 4:35am plodder wrote:
Tescos and it's impending expansion

On 27 May 2010 at 1:33pm Clifford wrote:
I just don't know what to do with my Boden shirts now Brixtonbelle. I just dropped into the sale as i was passing and they seemed such a bargain. Now it turns out I'm a bloody wannabe Tory.

On 28 May 2010 at 2:07pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Don't worry Clifford. Your secret is safe with us.

Seriously though - and I was not being serious in my post above - labelling people by how they dress or look is quite stupid. 'Never judge a book by its cover', as er, someone once said.

On 28 May 2010 at 3:34pm Down and Out wrote:
Bo Diddley?
youtube.com/watch?v=M6ixaXBWtyc

2 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The John Harvey Tavern 116:132
The John Harvey Tavern

@ar10642 you seem to have your knickers in a bit of a twist. Upset because the country voted in a Conservative government (which... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine