Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Best pub in Lewes for food & beer?

On 25 May 2011 at 1:56pm getorffmoiland wrote:
OK, an easy one to get you started, wheres your vote going and why?
Be positive about your favorite rather than diss the ones you dislike.

On 25 May 2011 at 2:18pm j wrote:
kings head, snowdrop

On 25 May 2011 at 2:30pm getorffmoiland wrote:
Not tried the Kings Head, great shout with The Snowdrop in present form...
Dark Star mmmmmmm

On 25 May 2011 at 2:38pm Hmm wrote:
For food: Pelham Arms
For beer: Lewes Arms
For both: Snowdrop

On 25 May 2011 at 2:39pm Hedley Lamarr wrote:
Brewers Arms. Great guest beers (including Dark Star) and the food is very good value. Its always spotlessly clean as well.

On 25 May 2011 at 2:56pm harvey's lover wrote:
Elly does superb pub grub. But for those who don't mind a bit of a walk, The Chalk Pit does exceptional food and serves a good pint of harveys.
Not Lewes i know but ive heard the Green Man at Ringmer is much improved and worth a trip for the food. Can't vouch for the beer though (possibly Greene King pub )

On 25 May 2011 at 3:09pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
Elly's Harvey's is always good. Gardeners second to none. JHT is fine when it comes from it's "cellar". Find the Harvey's in the Snowdrop a bit hit and miss.

On 25 May 2011 at 3:27pm Clifford wrote:
Snowdrop for me. Nice people at the Chalkpit, but as far as the food was concerned I felt like I'd flown back to the 1950s (not necessarily a bad thing some will say).

On 25 May 2011 at 4:31pm joey wrote:
I've found excellent service and food at the snowie, kings head and the jht. Don't drink beer but the wine at all 3 is ok to!

On 25 May 2011 at 4:36pm Lewesite wrote:
The Cock Inn

On 25 May 2011 at 5:10pm Vesbod wrote:
For food, the Pelham Arms
For beer, not sure, anywhere that sells Brains SA I suppose. Harveys is awful !

On 25 May 2011 at 6:15pm Tomsk wrote:
You can't beat the jht for good honest pub grub. The staff are lovely and the harveys is good too!

On 25 May 2011 at 6:28pm Guido wrote:
Has to be Snowdrop for food and the Gardeners arms for beer. Always a good range of guest beers on as well as the well kept Harveys....

On 25 May 2011 at 6:38pm Chav wrote:
Charky for the best bab and lester road store for a very nice can of white lightning. Dunno about the pubs. Not allowed in any. Just cos I wear me shell suit, I get tard wiv the same brush as me cousins

On 25 May 2011 at 7:43pm Julia Squeezer wrote:
Excellent Harveys and also Timothy Taylor Landlord at the Elly; good Harveys Best and a good range of Harveys at the JHT.

On 25 May 2011 at 8:00pm wrote:
Snowdrop

On 25 May 2011 at 9:37pm lovelewes wrote:
pelham arms
snowdrop
kings head
SOOOO GOOD!!

On 25 May 2011 at 10:52pm Lopster wrote:
Vesbod - just don't drink Harvey's best - the rest are all fantastic - especially the Old and Porter - but the best can be too highly flavoured
agree about SA though - is Felinfoel still brewing?

On 26 May 2011 at 8:13am Vesbod wrote:
Felinfoel (aka feeling foul!!) - I'm sure they're still pumping it out down Llanelli way - much prefer Brains SA though, but I will try the Old and Porter......

On 26 May 2011 at 9:26am huw wrote:
Vespod, will try and get some Skull Attack in for you during the 6 nations if not before.
Going to be getting in the special ale trail beers from Kings (next week), Dark Star and Harveys before we try anything else.

On 26 May 2011 at 10:21am Deelite wrote:
Can you get in that really strong one that Dark Star do, the Six Hop Ale? I had it in the Stand Up in Lindfield. A truly great beer (once you get over the fact that it smells just like Skunk).

On 26 May 2011 at 10:25am huw wrote:
unfortunately not. It is a lovely drop though.

On 26 May 2011 at 11:45am Grrr wrote:
Anyone know Dogbolter? I only ever saw it in Wales...

On 26 May 2011 at 11:48am huw wrote:
Dogbolter was a Firkin beer, brewed in all Firkin pubs across the country

On 26 May 2011 at 12:43pm Cliffe Hanger wrote:
I believe Gadd's are brewing the old Firkin beer now under the name of "Gadd's Dogbolter Porter". I have had a pint or two of the stuff in the GA.

On 26 May 2011 at 1:51pm Grrr wrote:
That is jolly good news... I'll have to seek it out, for nostalgia purposes only of course! Thanks.

On 26 May 2011 at 3:58pm bastian wrote:
I must be losing my touch, I used to be a fervant beer hunter but I've not had dogbolter,though I've had many other firkin beers.....harveys takes some beating, Lewes Arms for both.

On 26 May 2011 at 5:36pm NewLewesian wrote:
Apparently the Snowdrop is no longer buying the Trevor in Glynde - survey showed up a lot of remedial work.

On 26 May 2011 at 8:03pm Deelite wrote:
Maybe they should go for Barcombe's Anchor Inn instead then.

On 27 May 2011 at 10:01am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
It's a shame about the Trevoe. The food was rubbish last time I ate there and I was looking forward to it having the same standard as the Snowie.

On 27 May 2011 at 11:39am 'ere be monsters wrote:
ACT they've gone out to The Plough at Plumpton from The Trevor

On 27 May 2011 at 12:11pm Feline wrote:
Has anyone ventured recently to the The Anchor in Barcombe?

On 27 May 2011 at 1:08pm Taff wrote:
Glynde deserves its own pub, not a franchised place.

On 27 May 2011 at 5:08pm Tony@thesnowdropinn wrote:
We were very keen to take on the Trevor but a number of issues came up which are currently being addressed by the current tenant (Harveys) & landlord (Glynde Estates). We have made it clear to both parties that we are still interested in the pub once those issues are successfully resolved. We have no involvement in the Plough at Plumpton. I'm not sure what you mean by franchise Taff, but I can assure you that, should we at some point take on the Trevor, it would very much be run as an independent freehouse.

On 27 May 2011 at 5:23pm Clifford wrote:
Pity that Tony. If you had taken over the Trevor I would certainly have given it another try. The Snowdrop has become superb again.

On 27 May 2011 at 10:26pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Have to say I have soft spot for the Lewes Arms - the food there is good and excellent value. Had a lovely goats cheese bruschetta there for lunch the other day.
I've had a couple of disappointments at The Snowdrop. A Moroccan lamb dish turned out to be mostly gristle....But there roast dinners are great - we had 13 different veg on the plate.

On 28 May 2011 at 1:55pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
Tony at The Snowy. It's the people that were at The Trevor that have gone to The Plough, not on about you.

On 28 May 2011 at 2:43pm Decent Citizen wrote:
Brixtonbelle,I was sorry,and surprised that you have been disappointed. Over this last year,myself and family,friends have eaten here dozens of times.Worked our way through the menu. I do not think we have missed any. Out of the dozen or so people,never ONCE has anyone been disappointed! VERY,VERY, surprised as their meet is just wonderful. Before anyone asks,NO, I do not have a vested interest in the Snowdrop!Apart from there and Prezzo, I eat nowhere else.

On 28 May 2011 at 2:45pm Decent Citizen wrote:
MEAT before the spelling police appear,Ha! Ha!

On 28 May 2011 at 3:37pm Spelling Officer #04 wrote:
Phew! Glad you got there before me, DC. For what it's worth, I would rate the Gardener's number 1 for beer, and the King's Head number 1 for food. The Snowy is easily number 1 for food and beer combined. That is not to disrespect any of the other establishments. I have been so happy with the beer and food at the above-named pubs, I just haven't bothered to try anywhere else.

On 28 May 2011 at 3:51pm Spelling Officer #04 wrote:
Oh, and the Jolly Sportsman at East Chiltington is very good for food, and beer, and wine. Although technically within the bounds of Lewes District Council, it is a long but manageable walk across the Downs from central Lewes.

On 31 May 2011 at 8:34am Taff wrote:
Tony at the Snowy, just saying that I would hate to see the Trevor taken over by a pub chain. Pleased to hear that if you ever do take the Trevor over you will run it as an independant freehouse.

On 31 May 2011 at 11:41am padster wrote:
1, The Snowdrop, best beer, best food, best staff, dog friendly.
2, The pelham, lovely pup to drink in and pool table to boot...
3, The Elly, lively and cool, and sky sports...
4, The lewes arms, great for a chat
5, The brewers arms, very underated, great beer great staff
6, should i stop drinking?
the rest would win in any other town but the bar is very high in lewes and we should be grateful for that,

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Lewes Arms Lads 55:132
Lewes Arms Lads

Just noticed. TP started "Quote of the Moment", although it's hard to understand what it's for. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy