Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Best choice ?

On 16 Aug 2017 at 5:51pm Advice Seeker wrote:
Could anyone please advise me as to the better choice for an evening at either of the Chaula or Curry Cottage Indian cuisine restaurant ? I'm looking at booking for a family group of 12 for an evening and not having visited either before I'm undecided. And before someone says why go to somewhere you've never visited before is because it's Lewes that is the key factor as all family members are born Lewesians, but haved lived elsewhere over the past 20+ years. We are after a reminiscing reunion in Lewes, our birth town.
On 16 Aug 2017 at 6:28pm Advice wrote:
For that size group I would suggest Curry Cottage. There is a car park and you could also go for a stroll beforehand. Have a lovely family reunion!
On 16 Aug 2017 at 8:48pm Advice Seeker wrote:
That sounds like good advice, as is your thought about going for a stroll beforehand, weather permitting, build up an appetite even. Thank you and, thank you for your kind wishes.
On 16 Aug 2017 at 9:07pm Feline wrote:
I have to say that myself and several friends have had very poor experiences at Curry Cottage. Terrible service and I dread to think what it would be like with 12 people at the same time. What about Shanaz or Spice Merchant?
On 16 Aug 2017 at 9:31pm Ricardo wrote:
Shanaz....best curry in Lewes imho.
On 17 Aug 2017 at 12:04pm Meic wrote:
I have not been to the Curry Cottage, but their menu suggests the cooking is essentially standard Bangladeshi/BIR in style.
Chaula's is very different, being Gujarati Indian. It's much less saturated in oil and generally less sweet. Like most Gujaratis, Chaula herself is vegetarian, and in my experience her vegetable dishes are more successful than her meat dishes.
I have found Shanaz uses far too much salt.
Always had good food in the Spice Merchant but it gets very full on Fridays and Saturdays

31 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Torchlit 126:132
Torchlit

I'm grateful for Nevillman starting this discussion and being so generous as to refer back to me. My delay in saying anything... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the fact it's safe enough to leave windows open and shops don't need to put grills up at night.
Maddie