Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Best and worst Cafes and their staff

On 17 Oct 2006 at 5:33pm Egon Ronay my arse wrote:
Tell me Tell me, what are your favourite and least favourite cafes or restaurants in lewes and who in particular of the staff do you like or dislike.

On 18 Oct 2006 at 6:30am Nick Luthi wrote:
I used to do this anonymous kind of crap to find out what people really thought of the Long Room.

This smells like a caterer's thread to me.

Please respond by all means - but be nice with the staff aspect.

Chances are they're badly paid, badly trained and probably can't respond.

On 18 Oct 2006 at 11:10am Smiler wrote:
I like Bills, Prezzo, Lazattis, The Pailin, Neros and all their staff are fantastic

On 18 Oct 2006 at 2:09pm Maddie wrote:
I'm veering away from Lewes a bit here, but I was in the Boardwalk in Brighton on Sunday... luch took FOUR hours and we had to ask for everything at least twice. I'm not really cussing the staff, cos they were friendly and pleasant, but there just weren't enough of them.

On 18 Oct 2006 at 6:06pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Prezzo's rubbish Smiler.It's by far the worst of the pasta chains in Lewes. Stick with Lazzatis, better than all of them (though a little tight for space).

On 19 Oct 2006 at 11:42am Smiler wrote:
Au contraire! Every time I have eaten in Prezzos the food has been excellent, the staff very attentive and cordial, not over priced and a much better atmosphere and decor than Pizza Express or Ask. But you are right about Lazattis, they do need bigger premises though and the seats in the 'garden' are different heights which is really annoying.

On 20 Oct 2006 at 3:09am Man who eats pizza ( Nick ) wrote:
Hmm! Bit dangerous me commenting as I might just get a kicking.
But it is worth pointing out the following:

ASK ( started by Adam and Sam Kaye - funded by their father Philip Kaye of Garfunkels fame ).

PREZZO ( started by Jonathan Kaye - funded by his uncle Philip Kaye as above )

PIZZA EXPRESS owned by Capricorn Holdings.
2004 - ASK subject to hostile takeover bid by Capricorn Holdings.....................Get the picture?

To cut a long story short, in effect ASK, PREZZO and PIZZA EXPRESS are all owned or run by the same management / family. ( Adam and Sam Kaye stayed on as directors ).
Not many people know this,and it's a bit of a shocker.
Even though this amount of themed duplication seems bizarre to us Lewesians, all the chains work on an analysis of house prices, transport links and demographic change.
Lewes hit marketing paydirt over the last five years, so whether or not the market can sustain yet another outlet, the chains feel obliged to open here -partially to keep a market presence in a desirable town and partially because the other buggers are already here.

The value of a brand sale is ( they hope ) higher than the sum total of its individual parts and
generally, they hold you, the customer, in contempt.
You only get in the way until they can flog the group at the first opportunity.
Trust me - I used to work for them!!
It's nothing to do with catering and everything to do with property speculation.
It's also pretty poor choice for the consumer.

Hence please support Lazzatti's, Bill's, Circa or Pailin etc.
Even when they're a bit off form.

Because the homogenised "boil in the bag" merchants (so much cheaper than actually paying for a chef )are winning at the moment and I think Lewes deserves better than that.
Right. Kick away.I know I'm a sitting duck.

On 20 Oct 2006 at 12:09pm Smile wrote:
That's very interesting Nick, thanks and I will try Lazattis first next time.
btw. Whats happening to the Long Room now?

On 20 Oct 2006 at 10:49pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Very informative, Nick. If what you say is true (which I'm sure it is) then it makes a lot of sense. Where do 'si' fit in the big picture?

On 21 Oct 2006 at 12:23am Nick Luthi wrote:
Please do support Lazatti's, though like we did, I guess they have their off days.

The Long Room has been sold to the Real Eating Company and they should be open in about six weeks.
They are an independent company, half deli / half restaurant.

I have joked about JD Weatherspoon's or Cafe Pasta to wind everyone up, but I would quite like to be buried in Lewes and I'm not sure you lot would have forgiven me if I'd done the dirty on you all.

It will be good for Cliffe and I'm happy with that.
Lewes was very generous to us and since we've closed,I've had the kindest comments. Which helps.
But...... it is an old building and it cost a lot of money to renovate.
Somewhere along the line, the bank lost confidence in us.
We'll move on I hope.
And although I know that I'm the worst culprit, I'd quite like to end Long Room threads if poss.

But please support the new people.
And if you remember us as fondly as people remember Thackerey's then I will be chuffed to bits.
Thanks.

On 21 Oct 2006 at 12:48am Nick Luthi wrote:
Si ( or Simply Italian )are not nearly as big a player as the other three, and they've got five sites in Sussex only at the moment.
( Ask and Prezzo have a hundredish each or so )

But of course they have aspirations.

Their website promotes them as an authentic "traditional, family-run restaurant".
Well, unless it's a very big family............
Hope this helps.

On 21 Oct 2006 at 2:56pm Mark rolfe wrote:
Takes nick's advice and keep stum,now the long room has gone they aint much around.

On 25 Oct 2006 at 8:14pm The Reverend wrote:
The cafe mid School Hill. Can't ever remember the name of it though.

On 29 Oct 2006 at 1:32pm Mark rolfe wrote:
no its best forgotten rev.

On 21 Jun 2007 at 10:41am pdouwkutdi wrote:
Hello! Good Site! Thanks you! isgjvbtipwii

22 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

It Takes Balls to be a Phoenix 47:132
It Takes Balls to be a Phoenix

This does look like a nasty variant, and not just because of Boris Johnsons face above.

Had my 2nd jab relatively recently,... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine