Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Bell Lane, Southover Highstreet.

On 2 Jul 2009 at 3:30pm Angry Southover Resident wrote:
When are the town council going to open their eyes to the real problems with traffic and road problems.
Every day i watch with fear as HGV's, Tractors and Various other large goods vehicles come close to hitting The Swan Inn and adjoing house wall as well as mounting the kerbs at the danger of pedestrians in order to avoid hitting the other large vehicles coming in the opposite directions.
Now i understand the tractors using the road and going towards Newhaven as there are farming fields through there and it is their only point of access.
But the HGV's and LGV's are obviously using this road to save 10 minutes on their drive to Newhaven Harbour as they cannot be bothered to drive up to the Kingston Roundabout even though this is probably the direction they come from and then go down the A27 over the new beddingham fly over which i believe was put there to ease traffic congestion as well as stopping cars jumping the lights. And then drive into Newhaven that way as it is a road designed for HGV/LGV as it is bigger and does not go directly through a residential area.
The problem has now increased with the bus services laid on for Kingston, Newhaven e.t.c and the bus service is a fantastic idea especially as this is the only way into Lewes with out driving from Kingston.
Surely someone else can see the problem and understand soon there could be a massive collision and could involve school children, young mothers or various other's who already have a big enough challenge crossing the road with the cars not paying any attention to the 20mph limit on Southover and the 30mph on Bell Lane

On 2 Jul 2009 at 3:42pm Ed Can Do wrote:
There needs to be a ban on tractors using public roads during peak times, say 7 until 10 in the morning then 4 until 7 in the evening. There is nothing more annoying than sitting in a monster of a traffic jam during the rush hour caused by some tool on a tractor who has decided that then would be a great time to go for a drive.

I believe some countries have a law whereby if you're holding up three or more road users by driving slowly then you have to pull over and let them past. I would wholeheartedly support such a move in this country.

I agree that the corner by the Swan isn't ideal for lorries but what can be done except widening it by demolishing some houses? Well, I suppose that they could change the sign on the prison end ruondabout to say that wide access to Kingston is down the bypass, rather than pointing in to town. You see, Bell Lane is the official wide access route since Ashcombe Hollow is even more ridiculously thin.

I'd suggest that as far as crossing the road goes, the best solution is to educate people that crossing the road on a corner is a really, really stupid thing to do. There's already a crossing at the bottom of the hill, nearest all the houses and the only people who would possibly be crossing the road any higher up are people living in Cranedown. I appreciate that some people might not fancy walking 50 yards down the road to the crossing but I don't think it's in any way a sensible use of public money to mess around with the road system any further round there for the benefit of at most, 20 households.

There are much more dangerous junctions and roads in town, some of which don't have crossings at all.

On 2 Jul 2009 at 5:36pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I think a ban on HGVs would be good. When they turn left at the prison crossroads, they often have to spend ages making a 3-pt turn to do it, and it holds up all the traffic. When you get two big vehicles meeting in the hollow, they have a lot of trouble passing at one point.
One morning all the cars had to wait while two coach drivers tucked their wing mirrors in so they could pass each other. If two vehciles need to do that to pass, they sholdn't be on that road in the first place imo.
don't agree with the tractor ban though. Farmers sometimes need to go and do stuff early in the morning, and I hate the thought of fallen stock lying in a field on a day like to day because the farmer ccan't get a tractor out to move it because of some curfew.
A caravan curfew would get my vote though!

On 2 Jul 2009 at 9:49pm exiledfromLewes wrote:
///When are the town council going to open their eyes to the real problems with traffic and road problems\\\\
Traffic, motorways, junctions are under the duristiction of the County Council. The town council has very little executive power at all in contrast to the County or District.

On 2 Jul 2009 at 10:41pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
By far the most congestion I have seen on the C7 is caused by that blooming recycling truck - I'd like to see a ban on that!

On 2 Jul 2009 at 11:38pm Merlin Milner wrote:
The Town Council is not in charge of highways.
However we do have a traffic working party that discusses traffic related issues around the town. We often get an office from the County Council to our meetings. If you want to attend and raise your points you are more than welcome or contact me and I could raise it on your behalf. Contact the Town hall and they will tell you when the next meeting is.

On 3 Jul 2009 at 11:48am Ed Can Do wrote:
Merlin, who would be in charge of the signage at the Ashcombe roundabout? I think the wide load route to Kingston being through Lewes must send a few truck drivers looking for Newhaven that way. Aside from deliveries to the pub, how many big lorries really need to go to Kingston anyway?

On 3 Jul 2009 at 3:07pm Merlin Milner wrote:
Probably the Highways Agency since they look after the A27. However I would think that ESCC's highway department would be the best place to start because they look after the other roads meeting the roundabout.

On 3 Jul 2009 at 3:42pm Toque wrote:
I watched a TV programme about this sort of complaint and it seems that sat navs are to blame for a lot of HGVs going down unsuitable roads.

On 3 Jul 2009 at 5:12pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I certainly think there have been a lot more of the really big lorries and coaches using the C7 since the advent of the satnav.

On 6 Jul 2009 at 3:46pm Ltr wrote:
I would like to see the town Council be more vocal on issues such as this. I don't just mean expressing a view, Tis a lot of talk in Lewes, but when it comes to confronting either LDC or ESCC with planning or traffic issues, all we get is a squeaking mouse, or a rolled up trouser leg.

On 6 Jul 2009 at 8:02pm Muffled Merin wrote:
Couldn't help but notice Merlin, that you didn't disagree with the stuff about the Pantworks. So when is the town council going to serfve its residents and sort that disgrace out? Or does Gardiner order you around, like the rest of us?

On 6 Jul 2009 at 8:38pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Merlin campaigned against the Pantworks - in fact he even spoke against the development during one of the precious 2 minute slots at the planning application meeting.

Planning is NOT an issue for the Town Council - it is the District Council that make all the c*ck-ups, so Cllr Gardiner cannot order the Town Council about.

On 7 Jul 2009 at 12:03pm Muffled Merlin wrote:
Planning is a matter for the Town cCuncil, they have a planning committee (Merlin regularly reminds Forum readers) that make comments, which are then ignored by LDC!
Its a shame then, that Merlin and his fellow Town Councillors won't vocalise their disatisfaction with their political colleagues in LDC (Merlin's Lib Dem colleague is Peter Gardiner) and fail to do anything at all when crappy buildings are created When for example, are Merlin and his colleagues going to explain to Cllr Gardiner that Lindsay Frost doesn't understand fire access planning law and failed to ensure that the pantworks has proper drainage and rendering. It is just not good enough, and the fact that Merlin campaigned against Pantwotks, makes it all the worse to me, now that we all know that he was right to be concerned,. Is he too timid to publicly draw attention to LDC's mistakes. that we can all see. It just gives the impression that no-one want to upset Cllr gardiner incase he turns purple, and writes another one of his silly letters. In the end Lewes is suffering from bad decisions, crappy enforcment, and good old fashioned mistakes that are never rectified.

23 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Tiled House 86:132
Lewes Tiled House

This is a sad and infuriating subject, as so much misinformation is pushed, and the far-right lap it up as their truth. I was... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde