Lewes Forum New message

Beggars to be fined £100 in Poole

On 15 Mar 2018 at 10:12pm Really? wrote:
Unbelievable...

Check it out here »
On 15 Mar 2018 at 10:16pm mr happy wrote:
good news
On 16 Mar 2018 at 8:11am Magistrate wrote:
As a former magistrate, this seems a supremely daft idea. When people on a low income receive a fine, they are given the option to pay it back at an affordable rate, i.e £5 a week. Can you imagine many homeless people dutifully turning up each week to pay their next installment? And how would the courts keep track of people who have no fixed abode? This may work for people in fixed accommodation who are simply begging, but overall I'd like to see a more intelligent approach the looks after the public's interests, helps the homeless and doesn't waste court time (and public money).
On 16 Mar 2018 at 8:23am mr happy wrote:
well to the point .In lewes we do not have a lot of people living on the streets . they have flats to go to at night. .They are begging as a job
On 16 Mar 2018 at 8:27am arthur wrote:
Sandbanks, Poole has some of the most expensive residential property prices in the UK - 6 million for a tasty beach front anyone. Unsurprisingly the rich there want to tidy up their neighbourhood by removing what they obviously see as human litter. Much the same as the rich in Windsor attempted to tidy up theirs for the forthcoming royal wedding (think of the obscene amount of money that's going to cost!) Frankly I find it frightening that vulnerable human beings are seen as objects to be cleared away. A grossly unequal society is not a happy one.
On 16 Mar 2018 at 11:15am Ferret wrote:
And they really are proposing to go ahead with this in spite of it being utterly stupid. If the beggars can't or won't pay, presumably they'll put them in jail at great expense. Perhaps more people signing this petition might help put a stop to this nonsense.

Check it out here »
On 16 Mar 2018 at 3:09pm Mark wrote:
The makes perfectly good sense if you can manage to twist your thinking around to fit with Mr Happy's moronic mindset. "Move these chances on now. They're all working a scam, I'm sure. Nothing to see here. I'm alright Jack. It's probably all quite sensible viewed through the filters of someone quite daft.
On 16 Mar 2018 at 4:53pm @Mark wrote:
Nothing moronic about what he said at all.
It's the truth.
I see one of the "beggars" on an almost daily basis as he leaves his flat. I do hope he keeps the place cleaner than he keeps himself but then I suppose you'd think it OK if he took a dump on your doorstep
On 16 Mar 2018 at 5:45pm bored wrote:
There are 2 issues. Living on the streets and begging. The homeless do both. The not so homeless only beg.

If someone can come up with a plan that would target the not so homeless and leave the homeless alone (or even help them get off the streets) then I'm sure it would get some all round support.

However, proposals that will hurt genuinely homeless people aren't solutions. It's sticking the boot in.
On 16 Mar 2018 at 5:54pm Mark wrote:
Well, I dunno then... I see people sleeping rough every morning as I walk up Cliffe High Street at 0730. And I would question why there has suddenly been this dramatic increase in the number of people working this "scam". Begging on the streets of Lewes was unheard of 8 years ago. I can remember the first time I was shocked to see someone sitting on the pavement. What would you say is the cause of the epidemic of it just now? My guesses would be: cuts to council services; benefit sanctions; the cap on Housing Benefit...etc
On 16 Mar 2018 at 6:18pm @Mark wrote:
Then you guess very wrong.
Try drugs and booze for a cause combined with a refusal to use benefits cash for anything else including a roof over the head.
By the way what do you do for the "homeless" you see each day. Sweet Fanny Adams is my guess. Why not take a couple back to your house?
On 16 Mar 2018 at 7:21pm Mark wrote:
@@Mark. Were drugs and booze invented 8 years ago?
On 16 Mar 2018 at 11:14pm @Mark wrote:
A long time before that.
Could be your local scummy beggars weren't on the stuff then, could be they were on it somewhere else and poncing on a daily basis.
Have you taken one home with you yet?
On 16 Mar 2018 at 11:49pm Huh? wrote:
Yeah why don’t all you bleeding hearts take one home.
And a ‘refugee ‘ while you’re at it
On 17 Mar 2018 at 7:15am @@Mark wrote:
It’s always that same stupid line: “why don’t you take one home with you?” What a childishly simplistic response - people are allowed to want better provision for the homeless (and indeed those suffering with the illness of addiction) from government and local authorities without being expected to take direct action. Mark, and others who have expressed a humane concern likely do help in ways they can, such as giving food and donating to homelessness charities. But just as you can support, say, the RSPCA without being expected to take all the animals home, or cancer charities without being expected to find a cure yourself, it is simply unfeasible to take a stranger into your house, especially if you have children. It also would not solve the problem. But some humanity goes a long way. Even just a smile - rather than the sort of disdain and disgust your sort display - helps people up feel like human beings rather than the scum you seem to think they are. There are many reasons for homelessness. I guess there are also many reasons why people posting on here are often such basic morons too.
On 17 Mar 2018 at 8:18am Basic morons ? wrote:
Are they different to complex morons ?
On 17 Mar 2018 at 8:25am Mark wrote:
Quite right @@mark. I wasn't going to bother responding to the ridiculous "how many have you taken home thing". I'm saddened by the fact that earthworms dry out and die on summer pavements but I don't feel that I have a moral obligation to go out and collect them all and keep them in a tub in my living room.
On 17 Mar 2018 at 8:39am @basic morons wrote:
If that’s the part of my post that you think is worthy of comment/discussion, then you must be one of the more basic of them. Anyway, over and out. I have better things to do than debate with people on here. Mark - agree with you totally.
On 17 Mar 2018 at 11:18am Clifford wrote:
One of my favourite things about reading the Forum is seeing the number of smug morons the town has. I suppose in real life they're terrified to say 'boo' to the boss.
On 17 Mar 2018 at 11:38am Ferret wrote:
As someone who first moved to Lewes 40 years ago, I had the impression that the people of Lewes (including locals) were decent and good-hearted. Since I started reading this Forum, I'm not so sure. I look at people with suspicion, wondering if he/she could be one of the hate-filled morons.
On 17 Mar 2018 at 12:36pm N. American derogatory wrote:
term = basic ......English version = base. eg. Base Moron. Coined in 1910 by Henry H. Goddard. So yet another example of Americanization creeping into the Lewes Forum. Kind regards from "The master of Pedantry"

On 20 Mar 2018 at 12:34am Decent Citizen wrote:
I think people generally do not realise that there is help out there and that it is often declined by,beggars,homeless. Not all of course but,if you can make money begging to pay for drink,drugs,why would you want to be in a hostel where rules have to be followed? No drink,drugs etc? One of our “ homeless beggars” here in Lewes has a flat in Newhaven! Another one,a flat in Landport! You have to want to be helped,many are quite happy as they are!

15 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

extinction rebellion lewes 36:132
extinction rebellion lewes

@Basil Sorry Basil, but you are mistaken. There is absolutely nothing wrong with 'in regards', and its use doesn't signify... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell