Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Beggars rota

On 14 Aug 2017 at 7:54pm Horribly fascinated wrote:
I am horribly fascinated by the regular shift changes of the Lewes Grubberatti. The two most lucrative pitches, outside Boots and North Court, feature a constant rotation of unshaven faces. My fertile imagination leads me to the conclusion that the LG have an agreed rota stuck to the fridge door in the fitted kitchen of their Landport council house - or is it organised on a closed Facebook group?
On 14 Aug 2017 at 7:57pm Aardvark wrote:
A vile, narrow-minded "I'm alright Jack" post here on the forum? There's a first...
On 14 Aug 2017 at 8:41pm Oh... wrote:
*cue wild speculation that...
They all ship in from Brighton!
They all live in a house in landlord!
I saw one on an iPhone... Before changing into a shabby dress!!!!
They tried to touch my dog!
One looked at my child outside Waitrose and she cried into the organic cereal!
On 14 Aug 2017 at 8:48pm Itshim wrote:
I find it funny how they beg money but still can afford to run a mobile phone,still manage to buy and walk/dordle around lewes with super strength beer and can still manage to get in such a drug induced state everyday!
On 14 Aug 2017 at 9:08pm Grubberatti wrote:
Yeah...thats rite!
On 14 Aug 2017 at 9:09pm Mark wrote:
@oh... There's usually a few comments about the nice cars that they use to drive in. One of them has a plush Audi, I've read.
On 14 Aug 2017 at 9:42pm Not a mug wrote:
What a bunch of liberal do gooding t0ssers. Those beggars wouldn't p!ss on you if you were on fire.
On 14 Aug 2017 at 9:51pm We'vehadourfun wrote:
I have invited Stacey Dooley to come to Lewes to get to bottom of this divisive problem. I hope the resulting documentary doesn't affect house prices.
On 14 Aug 2017 at 9:58pm It Beggars Belief wrote:
I hope I am never in their situation, sitting all day, people giving me money, just to buy beer. I have to work all day, earning money, just to buy beer.
On 15 Aug 2017 at 2:03am wrote:
I know itís been said before, but regardless of their legitimacy, why are there more of them now than ever before?
Why are more people choosing malingering and fraudulent begging over getting a proper job and renting a home?
Was something put in the water that just made a lot of people decide to give up their cosy and fulfilling jobs and opt for a life of deceit, opening themselves to filthy stares and indignant busy bodies?
On 15 Aug 2017 at 8:27am Horribly fascinated wrote:
One of the regulars was a pretty good bluesey busker until recently. He may well have made the career change for a higher income
On 15 Aug 2017 at 8:35am Lewes man wrote:
Sorry to point this out again . But we are getting more and more beggars fron otfer town. Wherethey are banned from
On 15 Aug 2017 at 9:13am Mark wrote:
@Lewes man... I would suggest that you visit some other towns and check things out. Why not start with central Brighton where you'll see someone begging on every street corner? It has taken some time for it to spread to Lewes. Is it just me or did it coincide with austerity... benefit sanctions... cuts to sources of support from local councils... our new society where major corporations are able to avoid paying Corporation Tax year after year.
On 15 Aug 2017 at 9:31am Ghost of Maggie wrote:
Just rejoice and be thankful for another lady PM and continuing Tory rule.
On 15 Aug 2017 at 9:57am Landporter wrote:
Just stop giving them money FFS, it's not rocket science. Those that are genuinely in need will be grateful of a hot drink or sandwich. Those that want cash are just bone idle thieves.
On 15 Aug 2017 at 10:08am Oh... wrote:
Right on cue..
On 15 Aug 2017 at 10:25am endoftheouse wrote:
Let's play Pokemon Go Begging. I suggest 1 point for a male beggar, 2 for female, extra point if drinking lager, 2 extra points for a Dog companion.
On 15 Aug 2017 at 10:29am Not an economic genius wrote:
People respond to incentives.
Lewes has money to spare, you don't see Artwave exhibitions on run down housing estates.
It's nicer to beg in Lewes as the residents are less aggressive than the national average.
On 15 Aug 2017 at 12:38pm Cliffe Clarion wrote:
Not ALL Lewes residents are nice - seen any beggars outside the antiques shop ?
On 15 Aug 2017 at 1:18pm Mark wrote:
Right on cue... Why do I bother? It's not something that's unique to Lewes? Why on earth would it be? It's a national phenomenon.
On 15 Aug 2017 at 3:31pm Herald of Hailsham wrote:
That dreadful town - with it's "traveller" community etc. I see no beggars: and park my car for free in spacious car parks. Lewes, get over yourself. P.S even the " Big Issue sellers" gave up because people could see them for what they were.
On 15 Aug 2017 at 4:00pm Hot Lips wrote:
That is because Hailsham is not full of soft in the head DFLs.
On 15 Aug 2017 at 4:59pm Clifford wrote:
Yes, it really fascinates me as a student of history the way every so often people choose to: be unemployed, be homeless, beg (because they are homeless and jobless), invade Iraq. It's all most as if there is a collective madness that sweeps over us. The 30s and the 80s were a big time for millions of people to wake up one day and decide not to go to work.
On 15 Aug 2017 at 5:00pm Herald o H wrote:
Well said..Though the place has expanded, the town centre has been refurbed, and due to some sensible paving, it encourages motors to drive @ c.20mph without Brighton+ Lewes' signs on roads and Traffic Wardens. The Cuckoo way leads from N. Hailsham right to Tesco for shopping on your bike. Of course people have come from London, but because there is no rail link to anywhere, the commuters don't come, instead it's retirees and people that appreciate the Pevensey Levels and don't need to live in a National Park.
On 15 Aug 2017 at 5:13pm LouOfLewes wrote:
I've no beef with the homeless fraternity of Lewes except when theres a spate of burglaries within the vicinity that they operate or you're verbally abused as you walk by, something that's happened to me a couple of times and to others that I know. Let's face it, there's an element of intimidation that comes with living alongside certain beggars in this town, but what can you do?
On 15 Aug 2017 at 5:27pm Steve of stevenage wrote:
Not much, Lou of Lewes. They have as much right to be here as anyone else. You may not like some of the less savoury characters but I don't like many of the less savoury comments on here. We just have to get by. I'm thinking we need to open a soup kitchen?

On 15 Aug 2017 at 5:29pm Historian wrote:
'The 1531 Poor Law presumed there was enough work in England for everyone who wanted to work. People who tramped the country roads or city streets seeking charity were punished. Tudor governments routinely considered workless people as a threat to public order. In many cases this was perfectly true: consider the thousands of ex-soldiers, just returned from a war somewhere, where they were licensed to kill Ė indeed they were expected to kill. Not finding work, they often gathered into armed bands of marauders, robbing, raping, often killing travellers on Englandís roads, or breaking into prosperous-looking houses.'
On 15 Aug 2017 at 5:41pm Thin end of wedge wrote:
It's cannabis and cannabis alone that is to blame for this erosion of society. The thin end of the wedge.
On 15 Aug 2017 at 5:51pm The Real Historian wrote:
Well, I never knew that !! Obviously got a life !
On 15 Aug 2017 at 6:43pm Sue wrote:
Thin end of wedge - I thought the reason was Conservative Party policies.
On 15 Aug 2017 at 7:13pm Thin end of the wedge wrote:
It's cannabis first, tory policy second and tailgating in third.
On 15 Aug 2017 at 8:05pm ?? wrote:
Utterly horrified by 99% of the above posts. Seriously. You lot can sod off out of Lewes - I'd SO much rather have the "beggars" than you hate-filled scum.
On 15 Aug 2017 at 9:12pm LouOfLewes wrote:
@??
"hate-filled scum"? That's a bit unnecessary isn't it? I thought people were generally having a valuable discussion regarding the homeless situation in Lewes town centre and how it impacts on the area. No one said that every 'beggar' should be driven out by a pack of baying hounds, never to return, no?
On 15 Aug 2017 at 9:48pm ?? wrote:
No Lou - read the posts carefully then tell me my description is wrong.
On 15 Aug 2017 at 10:02pm LouOfLewes wrote:
I did. Fair comment.
On 16 Aug 2017 at 10:50am Jennifer wrote:
The beggars are offensive, dirty, dangerous and illegal. It surely doesn't require any effort to take this problem away apart from the police applying the law, and the courts locking them up to stop them harassing people? It's a nuisance to my friends and just an embarrassment to all of us when important people visit!
On 16 Aug 2017 at 12:09pm Hot Lips wrote:
Donate soap and flannels.
On 16 Aug 2017 at 5:10pm ?? wrote:
Jennifer - Are you seriously so bitter that you're advocating imprisonment for homeless people? God I'm glad you're not my neighbour.
On 16 Aug 2017 at 8:03pm Jennifer wrote:
I pay my taxes and a lot of money to live in Lewes and I require a standard of living and cleanliness commensurate with this cost, and with the image of your town given primarily to my husband before we moved here. The law is on my side, I think you will find. There is no place in a premium town in a National Park for something that so clearly does not fit, and is illegal.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

commercial square badge 30:132
commercial square badge

They're everywhere, popping up like mushrooms but much uglier. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy