Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Beggars and Big Issue sellers in Lewes (Cont)

On 20 Sep 2016 at 3:25pm Deelite wrote:
So what about the Big Issue sellers then? That Asian lady intrigues me. One day I shall talk to her and ask why she begs.
On 20 Sep 2016 at 3:33pm Hmm... wrote:
Glad this is back.. something has been bugging me.

Ed Can Do said: "Having low unemployment means there are fewer jobs left for those who don't have them so competition is greater."

That's such a ridiculous thing to say. Obviously there are fewer people left too so no way is competition any greater (and in fact it's far, far less as you don't have huge numbers getting on their bike to chase a single, rare job).
On 20 Sep 2016 at 4:46pm Big Tissue wrote:
People on here say they've seen the Big Issue sellers getting into a BMW at the end of their day. That may be true, but the fact is that they still stand around in the cold for several hours. What I don't understand is why so many sellers now seem to be from the Roma community. I thought the Big Issue''s point was to get ordinary homeless people back on their feet, but I see the same faces year after year.
On 20 Sep 2016 at 5:17pm Ed Can Do wrote:
So you're saying that low unemployment nationally makes it easier to get a job?

A century or so of economic theory would suggest otherwise but you're entitled to your opinion I guess?
On 20 Sep 2016 at 5:23pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Sorry, ignore me, I just re-read my first post and I was talking nonsense. What I meant to say is low levels of job vacancies, which is what we are currently experiencing. I shall learn to re-read my posts before pressing submit in future!

On 20 Sep 2016 at 5:28pm Hmm... wrote:
OK. You are forgiven... and now your sarcastic chicken farm comment?
On 20 Sep 2016 at 9:12pm No Ed wrote:
You're correct to say "low levels of unemployment". Example: If there's 200k unemployed and 100k jobs, you have 50/50 chance of a job, 80k get a job (meaning now low levels of unemployment), there's now 120k unemployed and 20k jobs, so less looking but now 6 for every job (originally 2).
On 21 Sep 2016 at 1:49am The Greek wrote:
Wow some of the responses on the last thread are insane. I do hope they are trolls or maybe it's a real representation of the self-centred people who voted in a Tory last election.
Regardless, all this speculation is pointless. Have you ever had a chat to a homeless person? You can find out a lot that way. They are people, not animals. People who are being laid to waste by a Tory government who doesn't care when they could be contributing to society like the rest of us.
A quick chat goes a long way to someone who has been cast aside by the rest of society. It seems by the responses on some of these threads that Lewes isn't the place I thought it to be!
On 21 Sep 2016 at 7:13am They wouldn't have been wrote:
Homeless in Lewes in the early 70's. There were squats all over the town.
On 21 Sep 2016 at 8:37am Hyena wrote:
'The Greek' my Hellenic friend . You're naive. Some of the posts on here are insane are they ? Following your line of reasoning that's because they are made by people with mental health issues who don't get the support they need. Tory austerity again I suppose. If that is the case you can't criticise them can you?
Seriously though you have to understand that the vast majority of beggars don't want to talk to you ( unless at the end of it you give them some money)
Before they sit down they know how much money they want to make before they get up again , having someone asking them the usual questions ( If they have begged for a while they will have had hundreds of people doing this ) is just an irritant .

On 21 Sep 2016 at 9:20am Nibbles wrote:
Err, if government cuts spending on mental health, support services, welfare and addiction clinics, expect some short and long term consequences of that policy - it really is that simple. As the UKs biggest drug dealer by far, the UK government has some responsibility in helping people who have succumbed to it, after all, they get a princely amount through tobacco and booze tax even after all linked costs to the NHS.

I just hope that anyone on here, who criticises the genuine homeless directly with such utter contempt, never have to face similar hardships in their lives or of their loved ones.
On 21 Sep 2016 at 10:00am Ed Can Do wrote:
I stand by the chicken farm comment.

People work in the countryside and over time the type of work they do changes, you can't draw a cut off line and say "Every industrial building on a farm built before 2016 is ok but we don't want anything after that ruining our view". I imagine when the forge in East Chiltington was built 200 years ago there were locals complaining about the encroachment of heavy industry and the ruined pastoral scene but now it's a "Historic forge".

Anyway, I digress, that's a different thread.
On 21 Sep 2016 at 2:34pm Village blacksmith wrote:
Ed you have as much sense as my 2lb lump hammer. Different thread, I reckon you're in a different furrow.
On 21 Sep 2016 at 10:12pm Taff wrote:
Some contributors must be comedic script writers?

23 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Station Street Lewes 111:132
Station Street Lewes

Oh the irony more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes