Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Baxters Field

On 27 Jun 2014 at 3:55pm Pat wrote:
Who owns baxters field? Whoever they are have got a massive chip on their shoulders. My sons just told me about a bossy woman who came over to him and his mates and ordered them about, and all they were doing was sitting there enjoying the sun. Understand someone's got to look after it as not council run but its not a personal garden is it. Or is it?
On 27 Jun 2014 at 4:15pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
It's privately-owned by a group of residents who clubbed together and bought it when there was a danger that the field was going to be converted into a car park for council employees (at least, that's what I can remember). I'm afraid that we don't have an automatic right to go there. The deal is that it's for everyone to use, but if any of the rules on the notice board aren't followed, they can ask us to leave. I think the woman's attitude might be the result of a few vandalism incidents, but she shouldn't tar all young lads with the same brush - it's great that they're outdoors instead of being on the xBox.
On 27 Jun 2014 at 4:23pm Humbert wrote:
The notices have been flaunted lately so maybe they are just trying to get people to follow them to keep it as an enjoyable space for all. Some (but not all) groups of young people have been listening to music loudly there which can be annoying for others, it's "no ball games" but others have taken a portable net there and played football, a load of yummy mummy's were there the other day with their children, all of them on bikes when it's no bikes too. People have started taking dogs in as well, another no-no. It's just about respecting it for what it is and for the people who maintain it. It's not much to ask.
On 27 Jun 2014 at 5:06pm Pat wrote:
Agreed but think its a shame some people get obsessed with their own little worlds don't they? Reminds me of my old nana staring out the blinds and moaning about strangers cars outside her house!
My son said he'll go to the paddock from now on, all they was doing was sitting there chatting about exams! PS understand a dog ban but how can kiddies on bikes and boys playing football be annoying? Its people enjoying themselves and having fun!? Surely its nice to look outside and take pleasure in others enjoying life
You wait till all the parks go private, then we'll have you all moaning about young folk graffitti-ing and breaking windows for a laugh because there's nowhere to sit and enjoy the sun oh well.
On 27 Jun 2014 at 5:08pm Historian wrote:
It ain't a public park. Respect has disappeared from these shores along with Ambition.
On 27 Jun 2014 at 5:20pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
Historian - really? When did this happen?
Pat - I don't know the circumstances, but I do remember being given a hard time when I was 16 because people would see a group of teenage boys and assume that they were up to no good. Sometimes they were right, but most of the time we were just hanging around minding our own business. The one thing that is different these days is that some young lads swear too much in public places and forget that it's offensive to many. Listening to the Priory boys walking home from school would make a sailor blush, but it's all just show and swagger.

On 27 Jun 2014 at 5:45pm Historian wrote:
Earl, don't tell me you haven't noticed, where's your head ?
On 27 Jun 2014 at 5:49pm Humbert wrote:
I think you've utterly missed the point Pat. It's not a public space, it's a private space that's been made available for all through goodwill. Bikes and football churn up the grass and make it a less enjoyable space for the majority of users who just want somewhere nice to take their children for a run around, to sit and read a book etc. Even if that wasn't the case the people who own it have made a decision and that's fine. The Paddock is more suited for football, bikes etc, and allow it, there's NO NEED to use Baxters Field for those. It's not difficult is it? I don't understand why you can't respect that we are lucky to have a space like Baxters Field so should make the most of it, not subvert perfectly reasonable rules that make it enjoyable for the majority. There's places for some activities, other places for others. We're lucky like that.
On 27 Jun 2014 at 7:37pm TDA wrote:
Is this the ladies who've had a legal dispute with Avenue house owners, had two fences erected to stop access to the field and tried to stop houses being built? Nimbys..
On 27 Jun 2014 at 8:09pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
I think certain people in the Avenue fired the first shot when they cut down some old trees to improve the view for the new houses. The Baxter's Field people might be NIMBYs, but if that includes objecting to paving over a field to create a car park for council employees, and homes that are unaffordable for most people, then I'm a proud NIMBY too.

On 27 Jun 2014 at 10:24pm Ben wrote:
Pat, why not ask your little angel exactly what he and his group were doing when they were spoken to. I know the ladies very well and I can assure you they would have had good reason to intervene. Many groups of teenagers use the field frequently to chill out and are very welcome and well behaved. It's great to see young people using the field and that was the whole idea behind purchasing the space. I am a Baxters field member by the way.
On 27 Jun 2014 at 10:27pm Akane wrote:
Is Baxters Fields the place where Proms in the Paddock is held?
On 27 Jun 2014 at 11:06pm TOM wrote:
A lot of people put there own money in to save baxters .on the under standing that we the pulic can go there with there chilern ect
On 28 Jun 2014 at 12:04am dip wrote:
The paddock shows the prom's. Were the children really behaving?? Perhaps the ladies who spoke to the children could have dealt with it better. The residents of The Avenue, Bradford Road, The Paddock, bought the field, not just The Avenue residents. The motivation for the residents to buy Baxters Field was to conserve green spaces for the public to use, to prevent houses, or even a supermarket being built on the Field, and to prevent further damage to the field after the pavilion was set on fire. I must point out I do not know if there was in any truth that houses were to be built on the Field, or a supermarket either but at the time that were the rumours. The future of Baxter's Field was uncertain at the time and the concerns residents had at the time, were based on who else might buy the field.
On 28 Jun 2014 at 9:51pm Local wrote:
Akane - are you brain dead? Which part of 'Proms in the Paddock' do you think means it's held in Baxter's Field, when the Paddock is virtually next door??
On 29 Jun 2014 at 5:12pm AKane wrote:
Local??? What a total D*ckhead you are, totally uncalled for, hate people like you, you actually just made my blood boil with this comment
On 29 Jun 2014 at 5:14pm AKane wrote:
And thanks for the 3 like thumbs too people. Ar*ses, last time I look at this forum when I have always been pleasant and helpful on here

On 29 Jun 2014 at 7:37pm ARcane wrote:
Yew`re all anii - may your annus be horribilis ad infinitum
On 29 Jun 2014 at 9:01pm Local wrote:
Akane - based on your replies, I'll take it that you are, indeed, stupid at the very least.
On 29 Jun 2014 at 10:06pm ARcade wrote:
Local - you made my head boil .Go boil your head
On 29 Jun 2014 at 11:01pm ARkanas wrote:
I'm with Local; it's not 'Proms in Baxter's Field', is it?

On 30 Jun 2014 at 8:18am ARchipelago wrote:
debate is good - no man is an island .As a non resident I shall google (earth) baxters field and see it`s proximity to the paddock.

On 30 Jun 2014 at 8:21am Old Malling wrote:
Baxters field was privately owned and didn't have public access until some enthusiastic residents bought it. I don't care if they just bought it to maintain their view or because they're Nimby's. How many new public open spaces get created thesr days?
On 30 Jun 2014 at 5:23pm Pat wrote:
Hello again. Ben - my little angel is no angel I can assure you... he has been known to sit down and talk to his friends in grassy areas, perhaps they have teenage conversations, smoke cigarettes or even god forbid run around a bit, though I doubt it. (he's going through a lazy stage.. Anyway he has never been in trouble with the law, and seems to be going to university next year if his teachers think he'll do as well as is expected
So they now go to the paddock anyway as the lady doesn't like young visitors.
wouldn't surprise me if they put fences up all around the place soon to keep all you riffraff out!!
On 30 Jun 2014 at 7:45pm Baxter wrote:
Yes, lets hope so.....
On 1 Jul 2014 at 8:37am wrote:
On 1 Jul 2014 at 9:23pm Action wrote:
Time to get the weed killer and write in the grass....
On 1 Jul 2014 at 10:45pm Inaction wrote:
Yeah like they did for the `77 Queens Jubulee

9 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Webbo Penny 129:132
Webbo Penny

I think it is unlikely that the IMF will be involved at all in our deficit Tom. The government have offered to give lots of money... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine