Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Basic Bikery Sat 21st Harveys Depot [blatant plug]

On 20 Jul 2012 at 12:32pm Deelite wrote:
From 10am-4pm (tomorrow) Saturday 21st July at Harveys Depot (Pinwell Road, bottom of Station Street just north of the Railway car park entrance).

Learn all you need to know about caring for and maintaining your bicycle. Info about clubs, rides and workshops. Bike jumble - sell or swap your old bike bits.

Food, bar and live music!

It's going to be a gas (and weather looks like it might be OK too).

Check it out here »

On 20 Jul 2012 at 3:02pm king cnut wrote:
Hope this is not connected to the bike doctor chap who used to be in cliffe precinct. Otherwise a very good idea.

On 20 Jul 2012 at 4:09pm Deelite wrote:
It's not i don't think. It's run by Carmen Slijpen, who does the great kids cinema stuff.
On 21 Jul 2012 at 10:43am Double Top wrote:
Any chance you can teach people how to ride them.... and what Cycle lanes are for... and the other Rules of the road.
On 21 Jul 2012 at 11:14am Mme B wrote:
Any chance you can encourage them to a) have a bell on their bikes and, b) use it to warn unsuspecting pedestrians of their approach?

On 21 Jul 2012 at 1:44pm Deelite wrote:
Come along and do it yourselves.

On 21 Jul 2012 at 1:47pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
And also explain why discharging snot over your shoulder onto the windscreen of the car that is being held up by you on your bike is really not nice....

On 23 Jul 2012 at 8:40am cyclist wrote:
So, an invitation to an event is an excuse to have a go at cyclists. This done a couple of days before one of the greatest sporting moments in British sporting history. So get ready for even more bikes on the road. Yipee!

On 23 Jul 2012 at 4:00pm Deelite wrote:
As a cyclist and resident of Barcombe along whose narrow roads the numbers of Lycra clad cyclists has increased exponentially over the last few years I find myself torn about a further increase.

On 23 Jul 2012 at 7:52pm Mrs Twine wrote:
Cyclist dear, I am sure Bradley Wiggins would be the first to say that being a cyclist is no excuse for having bad manners. Stand in the corner till your mother says it's tea time.

On 24 Jul 2012 at 11:08am teaboy wrote:
Mrs Twine, Cyclist was not defending, or encouraging any behaviour of any sort. They were highlighting ACT's highjack of the invitation to an event. That is all.
Deelite - join in the fun! Enjoy your countryside, sunshine(!) and human-contact.

On 24 Jul 2012 at 11:44am cyclist wrote:
Thank you teaboy. You are quite right. Of course there are badly behaved cyclists and I do not condone poor behaviour by cyclists or anyone else. It is just that some people like to take a pop at all cyclists for the behaviour of a few. I could have a rant about the behaviour of some motorists but I won't. Just to say that the most likely casualty of a poor cyclist is themselves. Whereas a bad motorist is more likely to injure others.

On 24 Jul 2012 at 12:52pm Deelite wrote:
Teaboy. I do. I cycle a lot (although mainly off-road). But at times it is vexing that so many car drivers come to Barcombe to cycle their bicycles for pleasure as it can make driving a car along the narrow Barcombe roads a bit of pain for the residents.

On 24 Jul 2012 at 1:47pm cyclist wrote:
The more cyclists on the road the safer cycling becomes as motorists will expect to see them and drive accordingly. A few years back there were few cyclists on the road and cycling was more dangerous as car drivers did not expect to see them. Perhaps we will get to a stage when novice cyclists feel safe to go out on their bikes in towns and on bigger roads so negating the need for them to drive to Barcombe in the first place.

On 24 Jul 2012 at 4:43pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Cycling on the road will become safer when cyclists ride more safely, too.

On 24 Jul 2012 at 10:55pm Deelite wrote:
And help cars get past them on the narrow roads round Barcombe.

Whilst attempting to get to B&Q before it shuts on a Sunday it becomes easy to hate the middle aged Lycra clad men on their expensive bikes who can slow you down to 17 miles an hour for up to a mile and a half along the Barcombe Mills Road.
On 25 Jul 2012 at 1:36pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
It becomes easy when you have to drive up and down the C7 and back every working day, sometimes twice, too.
I have taken to counting the numbers of cars queueing behind cyclists on the C7 (sad, I know). Queues of 5 or so are commonplace, queues of 10 or more quite usual. The biggest queue I've seen so far is 26 cars, all crawling along behind a cyclist who insisted on riding in the middle of the carriageway.
Also noted on Sunday: 3 cyclists, 2 riding 2 abreast and 1 riding behind them, on an uphill stretch of the A25, riding well out into the cariageway despite having a perfectly good cycle lane!

On 2 Aug 2012 at 1:57am AYATOLLAH HOGMANNY wrote:
As a cyclist I have seen some terrible driving, I have also seen some cyclists behaving badly, 2 a breast, all over the road, no hand signals etc. I have also seen some idiotic behaviour from pedestrians, not looking before crossing the road or looking and crossing expecting everyone else else to be able to skid to a halt and miss them. Everyone has to take responsibility for their own behaviour and not expect anyone else to do it for them, is it too much to ask for them to take responsibility for their own actions!

19 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Southover Grange and Gardens 108:132
Southover Grange and Gardens

What will channel 4 news be without him and his colourful ties? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams