Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Barcombe Mills

On 21 Jun 2011 at 12:18pm Cluesie wrote:
Can anybody tell me if the Pub at Barcombe Mills has improved? Looking for a venue for our company day out and was wondering if the pub and boating has improved?

On 21 Jun 2011 at 12:21pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
Judging by what's been said about the place in the past, I doubt anyone on this forum has been out there for months.

On 21 Jun 2011 at 1:03pm Cluesie wrote:
thanks Ere be.... Was hoping it had changed hands oh well. Any ideas on where else to go, approx 50 people, 28th July? I've suggested Glorious Goodwood.

On 21 Jun 2011 at 1:21pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
Make it the 27th and we'll see you there, great day out.

On 21 Jun 2011 at 2:11pm Taff wrote:
was out in Barcombe a couple of weekends ago. boating is £6 per person per hour and the harveys was bright!

On 21 Jun 2011 at 2:14pm Cluesie wrote:
thanks Both!

On 21 Jun 2011 at 3:39pm Her who knows.... wrote:
The Anchor Inn, Barcombe has not been sold.....

....yet

On 21 Jun 2011 at 9:35pm getorffmearse wrote:
OK. I'll bite. Is The Anchor Inn, Barcombe for sale then?

On 22 Jun 2011 at 8:27am John wrote:
Just a rumour that is definitely not true.

On 22 Jun 2011 at 5:37pm nocanoeforyou wrote:
Funny this question should be asked on this forum as I was at the Anchor on sunday. Our family went there with the plan on going to the river for a canoe while my mother in law had tea and snacks in the pub with our young children. As soon as we pulled up in the car park the landlord or manager who ever he was (short fat bloke with round glasses) came up to us and agressively told us we couldn't come to the pub with the canoes and he wouldn't let us. launch of his land. We said our plan was not to launch off his land as for years our family have parked in the over flow car park and lanched off the puplic foot path. The told us we could launch off the said public area but he wanted the cars with the boats 'off his land' and head to Barcombe mills. We tried to explain that half of our party wanted to use the facilities of the pub for food and drink and all of us after a canoe. This man said he wasn't interested and he didn't want people lanching anywhere near the pub as he has to pay £1000 per month for the right to have boating at the pub. This man was so unreasonable and agressive we we are quite glad we didn't end up spend our time and money in his company. All our family are never going go to this pub again would never recommend to place to anyone as the proprietor has no concept of the meaning of what a public house should be.
On 22 Jun 2011 at 7:28pm black sabbath wrote:
Whilst I totally disagree with the landlord and other owners of freshwater rivers, sadly it is only with the permission of the landowner that one may use the non tidal stretches of rivers for any purpose.
The only part of the Ouse available to members of the public is seaward of Willeys Bridge in lewes.
This law only applies in England and Wales, another leftover from baronial times!

On 22 Jun 2011 at 9:46pm Deelite wrote:
The Sussex Ouse is tidal up to Barcombe Mills so surely you can canoe downstream from there?

On 22 Jun 2011 at 9:48pm Deelite wrote:
Should have included "legally"

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Cross 67:132
Lewes Cross

Such wisdom in one so young. more