Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Bank of cow parsley cut in Grange Road

On 12 May 2015 at 3:36pm Jennyr wrote:
Each morning I passed a bank of cow parsley high on a wall at end of Grange Road and Keere St. White, fragrant flowers with borage and bluebells growing between - a beautiful sight. Why did the council need to hack it all down to leave stubs and empty bottles? Why can't they wait until its short flowering season is over? Who should I write to?

Check it out here »
On 12 May 2015 at 3:53pm Counsel wrote:
Try Maria Caulfield, I'm sure by know she's an expert in all Lewes matters?
On 12 May 2015 at 5:09pm Peek district wrote:
I couldn't believe my peepers - what sacrilege
On 12 May 2015 at 5:24pm Maria Cauliflower wrote:
It can`t be monetarised so why should I care?Sod off.
On 12 May 2015 at 5:42pm belladonna wrote:
Is that part of the bank definitely council maintained ? or does it belong to the house above?
Have they done the whole bank below St Swithuns and opposite the Grange as well - which is full of beautiful wild garlic?

I have to say I've always loved the way those banks are stuffed with wild flowers - in the middle of the town - a shame to lose it
On 12 May 2015 at 10:29pm Mew wrote:
Sell it off and concrete it over - cut council tax. Wild flowers have no economic value so get rid.

On 12 May 2015 at 10:55pm south street labourite wrote:
It's happened on Malling fields too, they've mowed down all the gorgeous cow parsley and wild flowers under the trees. so sad. It's not economic value, a thing of beauty helps us all along the way, less depression, less support needed from the NHS, less time off work, less sick pay, lessens grumpiness etc, etc. A reduction in insects, less pollination, more reliance on artificial fertilisers, more expensive food. More petrol needed to run the mowers. We are all wrapped up nature, it's only when we loose it does it have an impact. Put your daft lawn mowers away.

On 13 May 2015 at 12:00am The Old Mayor wrote:
Outrageous ! The grass verges full of lovely dandelion clocks, all blown away this afternoon. Now settling on everyone's gardens and lawns. Thanks very much Council for that. One years seeds - five years weeds !!
On 13 May 2015 at 6:39am I wandered lonely as a wrote:
cloud ........ when I espied a crowd ........ of moaning Lewesians

On 13 May 2015 at 6:53am Sussex Jim wrote:
Counsel- we no longer have an MP who pokes his nose into such minor matters and then tries to take the credit when others sort it out.
I think the bottles should have been removed by the council after the mowing; but they are the ones to complain to.

On 14 May 2015 at 2:58pm belladonna wrote:
NO, but we do have district and town councilors, both independent and greens who should be registering some sort of formal complaint about this.
Ruth O keefe of Lewes little gardens may be the best person to turn to for this- and its in her ward.
Jennyr, why don;t you email her. May be able to get a local agreement with the mowers (no doubt contracted out to the lowest bidder) not to mow until after the blooms die down. Those flowers are really important for our bees!

On 14 May 2015 at 8:44pm Jennyr wrote:
Lewes District Council own the tiny patch of land at bottom of Keere St. I went to see them and will be emailing the man in charge. The strimmers come along, it seems, as soon as flowers start to grow. But there may be hope if I can ask for it to be a wild flower bank like the planted poppies around Lewes last year. It won't cost any planting money as the flowers are already there. So I'll try that and maybe next year the cow parsley, bluebells, borage and poppy flowers can be left for the bees!
On 15 May 2015 at 7:02pm jude wrote:
Walked out of the block I live in, the daisies and dandelions were everywhere. I was thinking how lovely it looked then thought 'bet the council will be here in the next couple of days they will be gone. Boom!!! 2 days later

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

south street badge 107:132
south street badge

@Dreamer Perhaps the answer to your question why does TP trot out the same old rubbish, repeatedly, without the slightest... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine