Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Balcombe Rail Tunnel

On 30 Sep 2013 at 6:12pm The Old Mayor wrote:
So Balcombe's victorian railway tunnel very nearly collapsed a whistle blowers tells us ! It needs to be inspected more than once a fortnight by oneone with a degree in one hand and a torch in the other they admit. Nothing to do with a certain Transport Minister shoving up the fares ?

Check it out here »
On 30 Sep 2013 at 6:49pm Tunnel vision wrote:
That certain transport minister, I forget his name, as he is completely invisible nowadays, prefers to concentrate his efforts on reopening a line which may be handy, but disappeared 50 years ago. Here is the thing; a sensible person would focus their energies on the priorities, such as ensuring that what we have left is safe. Can it be that hard to understand that?
On 30 Sep 2013 at 7:23pm Extra wrote:
Old news, reported at the time, tunnel closed, repaired, regularly inspected.
Bad news day for BBC South East Today.
On 30 Sep 2013 at 9:20pm The Old Mayor wrote:
Thanks for the Norm , er I mean extra !!
On 1 Oct 2013 at 1:16am tunnel vision wrote:
Pleased to hear that whenever it was , it only took a near miss this significant to get something done about maintenance and safety inspections.
who is this 'Norm' people occasionally mention?
On 1 Oct 2013 at 7:23am normans wisdom wrote:
There is only one Norm. Norman Baker the finest mp in the land. Ever.

On 1 Oct 2013 at 2:31pm Sussex Jim wrote:
Rubbish. Let's go back to the days of the Macmillan era- when we never had it so good, and Norman Wisdom- not Norman Baker- was the comedian. And the trains were not regularly replaced by tacky buses.
On 1 Oct 2013 at 4:50pm ar10642 wrote:
Although, the irony here is that to fix/inspect the tunnel as advised in the report, you'd have to have more buses
On 2 Oct 2013 at 7:55am Rosalyn st Pierre wrote:
I have been campaigning for the re-opening of the Lewes - Uckfield
Line for years, one issue being the disaster to SE economy if the tunnel was closed for a lengthy time. ESCC is holding a consultation rail strategy, closes on October 4th.
Do take part as Lewes does not feature strongly in the papers and we need a strong voice.
Check it out
Www.eastsussex.gov.uk/your council/consultations

On 2 Oct 2013 at 8:35am Humbert wrote:
Hi Rosalyn, please can you confirm your position on fracking in the local countryside and whether you agree with your party on it?
On 2 Oct 2013 at 8:47am Rosalyn St Pierre wrote:
My view was formulated well before any party statements. My view is not in the local countryside for all the reasons I have put before; the proximity to the SD National Park; the Ashdown Forest, the SSSIs and the Ramsah site in Pevensey; the lack of water; the inability of local water treatment plants to deal with fracking wastes; the impact on the road network, and now I could add that seismic activity near Balcombe would further weaken the Tunnel (and that is what this link is about).
On 2 Oct 2013 at 9:12am not convinced wrote:
surely it would make more economic sense to maintain a tunnel properly than re- building and maintaining a new line 'just in case' ? Especial as building a new line would visibly trash the countryside that may have escaped the effects of fracking?

On 2 Oct 2013 at 9:31am The Old Mayor wrote:
The phrase 'a kid with a degree in one hand and a torch in the other' being responsible for the safety of 1,000s of lives on a daily basis is quite frightening ! But probably so true, in this case and hundreds of others too. Some of them even work for Quadrilla and their likes.
On 2 Oct 2013 at 9:56am Casey Jones wrote:
The whistleblower - was it Thomas the tank engine ? I happen to know that inspections are carried out by time served Maintenance Engineers . Any the commuters have to pay because said engineers are kept in their offices for hours by useless , pointless H+S paperwork and nonsense . So the wet behind the ears graduates with the torches are more likely to be employed by the Health and Safety army that we all subsidise .

On 2 Oct 2013 at 11:47am Sensible wrote:
I suggest you address your claims about H&S to the families of the people who died at Potters Bar. A crash for which Network Rail was fined 3million for safety regulation breaches.
There is a difference between real H&S, and crap that people make up about H&S as an excuse for not wanting to do something or pay for it.
We are talking about a railway system. Railways are very dangerous. Why a tunnel got into a dangerous state is worth enquiry, but it won't be because H&S made whoever is responsible for the tunnel, do something pointless instead- whatever the Daily Mail would like to believe.
Try reading the H&S Executives list of top 10 H&S claims, that were made up, and people were believing.

On 2 Oct 2013 at 3:41pm geoff wrote:
Could I point out that Potters Bar was Railtrack - the failed privatised company - not Network Rail who had to pay the fine. I also believe that the ironwork that was hanging down in the tunnel was installed by contractor's in Railtrack's day.

On 2 Oct 2013 at 3:52pm passenger wrote:
all of which is much more likely to be avoided if we follow Health and Safety , rather than diminish H&S with Daily Mail style nonsense about people being required too fill in unnecessary forms.
and the more we check, and avoid problems, the better value we get from that maintenance.

On 2 Oct 2013 at 6:13pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Well said, Sensible and Passenger. People forget that before H&S legislation, 2 people a week died, on average, in the construction industry alone. Now building site deaths are so rare they make the papers.

19 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Burning Crosses in Lewes 15:132
Burning Crosses in Lewes

As expected the chartist only turns up to put down. Just like the ferret. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams