Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Bake Out Breaking all Rules!!

On 6 Aug 2018 at 9:47am Lewes lady wrote:
After the previous messages about Bake Out not having permission to spread out and itís complaints to stop the market, I was just doing my research only to see it has a hygiene rating of 1!!! Did everyone know this?
On 6 Aug 2018 at 12:07pm No I didn't know that wrote:
Thanks for telling us - I won't be going there !
On 6 Aug 2018 at 12:38pm Sol wrote:
We wouldn't want that area of town looking nice and full of people enjoying the sun while eating outside now would we!
Bring back the bare presinct and the vile smell of cheese straws please!
On 6 Aug 2018 at 1:40pm Tom wrote:
@Sol I don't think anyone's complaining of them doing it necessarily but more they've done it without having the right to do so or should we let any business do whatever they want to the precinct in your view?
On 6 Aug 2018 at 1:47pm @tom wrote:
It takes months before you get any response from the council so you may as well try it while you wait, who's it really hurting? I think you will find that a lot of places already do what ever they like and have done for so many years, you are just used to it.
On 6 Aug 2018 at 1:56pm Local wrote:
Forfars was better and way cheaper
On 6 Aug 2018 at 2:28pm Ah Sol wrote:
*Precinct* - You're succinct but use Maggie's ( and HRH ) "we". Are you entitled, Sol ?
On 6 Aug 2018 at 2:36pm NotAlone wrote:
Lewes is full of badly rated food hygiene itís awfuk! Bills only has 3 and the snowdrop is a 1, Black Horse isnít good from memory
The brilliant irony is HMP Lewes has a 5 score
On 6 Aug 2018 at 3:15pm Tom wrote:
@Sol What a narrow minded answer. So when the farmers market rolls up and they can't park their vans because someones put flower puts in the way you think it's ok as the council takes ages to respond? There's putting some chairs outside your establishment like Waterstones has done and then there is making a land grab which is what Bake Out have done.
On 6 Aug 2018 at 4:24pm Whine whine whine wrote:
It's all you lot do. Moan, whinge, throw toys out of prams.
Good grief, get an effing life will you.
On 6 Aug 2018 at 4:36pm @whine whine whine wrote:
Stop whinging about it
On 6 Aug 2018 at 8:08pm Hexanchus7 wrote:
Bake Out was shortlisted as the Best Independent Retailer at the LDBA on 19th July at the Amex, along with Alistair Fleming Design. Both lost out to Alexis Dove Jewellery
On 6 Aug 2018 at 9:42pm Tabs wrote:
I take the point that the council can take ages but that doesnít mean you just go and do your own thing to that extent. You or I would get crucified for doing something like that without the right permissions.
On 6 Aug 2018 at 9:50pm Bubbles wrote:
When the owners are as rich as they are then they donít need to care about the risks I guess!!! But can hope they will make more money from grabbing more space to sell!!
On 6 Aug 2018 at 11:05pm Moaner wrote:
In addition to them just spreading out all over the place, what annoys me is the way they've included a public bench and litter bin within their remit. I would've had a word with the cheeky b*gger myself if I hadn't been in a rush going past
On 7 Aug 2018 at 7:07am Whine whine whine wrote:
Thatís absolutely disgraceful Moaner...right up there with third world famine and terminal illness. FFS get a grip.
On 7 Aug 2018 at 11:19am Gus wrote:
@whinewhinewhine: you told all the complainers to "get a life", but you don't seem to understand that they are trying to do just that. It means keeping things under control and preventing people inserting the thin end of the wedge and taking advantage of everyone else. In other words, maintaining the status quo so that everyone knows where the boundaries are.
On 7 Aug 2018 at 1:39pm @Gus wrote:
Who cares? it's a few bloody chairs in the high street. If you can't walk past without bumping into them, you shouldn't be allowed out alone.
On 7 Aug 2018 at 4:31pm Moaner wrote:
But the pubic bench is one less that the older people and others needing a general sit down while shopping or just watching the world go bay, can't access it as it's within Bake Out's stupid palm-enclosure. Plus, the litter bin's not their's either.
On 7 Aug 2018 at 5:45pm MG wrote:
@Moaner - if it's a public (not "pubic", surely unless I'mm missng sonething!) bench then I suggest people just occupy it when they wish, preferable consuming something bought elsewhere, and if the shop staff object tell them where to put their baguettes.
The 1 star hygeine rating acknowledges the food handling is "good", and the cleanliness and conditions "satisfactory". Where they had problems related to not being able to evidence training of staff and not having written systems to ensure food is safe to eat. In other words, bureaucratic record keeping. Similar issues underpin the 1 star rating at the Spice merchant.
On 7 Aug 2018 at 5:54pm I'll park my pubis on wrote:
any public bench - I know it's public because I've sat on it before.
On 7 Aug 2018 at 7:39pm @MG wrote:
@MG Read my post again - or better go and look yourself! No longer a `public' bench as it's now within Bake Off's enclosed area - along with the `public' bin! You'd literally have to clamber over the faux palms to get to said bench and bin now. It is completely inaccessible to public now. I don't give a toss about hygiene rating personally as most places in Lewes seem to be dreadful, just can't quite believe the nerve of Bake Off owner.
On 8 Aug 2018 at 11:08am shadrack wrote:
How do you know they haven't got permission ????
On 9 Aug 2018 at 6:11pm Bells wrote:
Where would we be able to see that they did?
On 10 Aug 2018 at 10:38am bastian wrote:
If any of you have done a food hygeine training to level 2, you may consider all that nonsense of paper work and record keeping unnesessary,but, if they don't know how cold their fridges are, and the staff haven'nt learned not to scratch thier bums and then handle food, or maybe the dates have gone past and becasue they don't train staff about what foods should be heated to waht safe temperature - you, as a purchaser could get sick, if you are old, young or vulnerable, you could get fatally sick with soem bacteria. Happy with that? and the palms?
yes I have doen the training, and do know what I'm on about, it's common sense stuff, but you would be amazed at how little common sense there is out there. I don't like the block of palms, it's intrusive and intimidating for the non users, tables and chairs if you wish and have permission, but the palms are an obstruction.
On 14 Aug 2018 at 10:01pm jstsayin wrote:
came across this post heading and thought hmm what's this all about. OMG , this is about a cafe putting seats and planters out. wow so many sad people in Lewes.
A little perplexed,a journalist and a little bored, I decided to dig a little. I called Lewes District Council , long wait and several extension options BUT finally spoke to the department and was told that Bake Out had gone through the full process and was given permission.
I actually was a little embarrassed asking (I am not a lewes nut job) but I really wanted to see the power of Fake info.
so no rules broken and the mall looks a heck of a lot better now. seriously, what are you lot bitching about ?
conclusion: every town has their quota of the 'hard done by' but Lewes might be etching high on the scale. I have never come across a town that moans about chairs and plants.
On 5 Sep 2018 at 12:17am Just FYI wrote:
Bake Out have a temporary licence to put their tables and chairs outside, the council are running it as a one month trial in order to get public feedback.
Ed Hele is the environmental officer for the local area and is looking for all public comments and complaints about it so if anyone has any objections, write a letter or an email and get this rejected so they cannot continue to use the street as their own. It blocks the highway, has intruded on the farmers markets, uses the public benches as their own, looks dreadful, has waste leaking out onto the street (down the side of the building on railway lane) and they canít even be bothered to take the benches in at night as all the other cafes do so itís attracting loud groups at night. Word has it they are also planning to have late night functions on the basis of getting this licence.
Iíve made my complaint!

10 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Beer garden 9:142
Beer garden

It's hard to decide who is the funniest on here: 'Chicken Licken' Cool Hand Luke or 'Street Fighting Man' Sensible. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington