Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Bacon...processed!

On 8 Mar 2013 at 8:28am Taff wrote:
Since when has bacon been categorised as processed meat and if so why? Surely its real cuts from a real animal and not reclaimed connective tissue pressed to look like its from a cut of meat, much like the thin cut ham, chicken and turkey sold in packets by the supermarkets.
Or is it classified as processed because of additive content?

On 8 Mar 2013 at 9:26am Blip wrote:
Is it smoked foods which are the danger? In which case, unsmoked bacon could be OK? I don't know, I'm only asking.
But have you noticed how often we are told that things we have previously enjoyed are now bad for us? I am sure we could each make a list. My particular favourite is the one about chocolate and wine. Only a short while ago we were being told that dark chocolate and red wine had positive health benefits for the elderly. Now some killjoy tells us the reverse. Somebody, somewhere, has the job of making us as miserable as possible.
Should we just carry on as before and hope for the best?

On 8 Mar 2013 at 11:55am Old Cynic wrote:
I found this confusing to - nearly all meat is processed i.e., you cook it! I presumed that it is the additives and the quantity that causes the problem. So if you make your own sausages or cure your own bacon it removes the nasties that is okay?

On 8 Mar 2013 at 3:50pm Blip wrote:
Can some knowledgeable food pundit give us a ruling, please? (Not you, Goat, get back to eating old ladies' knitting patterns)

On 8 Mar 2013 at 4:03pm bastian wrote:
thay are talking about salt and fat, but I wouls call that cured, not processed. A little of what you fancy is a good thing in my opinion.
Not an expert on food, just really like bacon.

On 8 Mar 2013 at 5:32pm The Galloping Gourmet wrote:
With regard to bacon, ham, sausages etc, it's the amount of salt and saltpetre (potassium nitrate) used in the preparation that is harmful, in addition to the amount of saturated fat present, unless you buy the leanest you can find. Throat cancer, for example, is more frequent in Asians who consume quantities of salt fish.
Smoke includes some products known to be carcinogenic (just like cigarettes).
So I eat more of Lewes Smokehouse's products than I should!
If it tastes good, it's bad for you (except for fresh fruit & veg, fresh seafood and a thousand other yummy things)

On 8 Mar 2013 at 8:21pm Ladybird wrote:
Interesting facts Galloping Gourmet! I went to buy myself some breakfast stuff for tomorrow morning earlier and actively avoided buying bacon because of all this malarkey! So much scaremongering in the media surrounding what we should and shouldn't eat. "Eat this it will prevent heart disease, oh no hang on, don't eat this it will give you cancer!!" Like bastian says, a little bit of what you fancy surely cannot be a bad thing.

On 9 Mar 2013 at 5:57am Townie wrote:
Everything in moderation.

On 10 Mar 2013 at 8:32am Sceptic wrote:
I think it all depends on pot luck. My mum was born about one hundred years ago and struggled hard to raise us five children especially during the war. Her marriage broke up and she was left to fend for herself and us five children on a pittance. She obviously went through terrible bouts of depression without the medical aid that you get today. Later in life when we had all flown the nest her financial situation was a lot better and she had the occasional tipple, loved her cream cakes, butter, fry ups and all the foods that today they say is bad for you and yet she still was active and passed away at the grand old age of 104. I am now 75 and was told by my doctor to cut down on sugar, butter etc otherwise I am prone to a heart attack. Do I take a gamble and enjoy my remaining years or listen to the experts and take some of the enjoyment out of my remaining years.

On 10 Mar 2013 at 4:51pm Blip wrote:
Precisely the problem, Sceptic. However, a heart attack is one thing, but diabetes, blindness, loss of mobility etc is another. It is hard to say what is best to do, especially since we can't see into our own future.

On 11 Mar 2013 at 9:23am Passing By wrote:
What a great subject to read about when i have been wanting a bacon butty all morning. May have to make myself one for tomorrow mornings walk to work

On 11 Mar 2013 at 9:23am Passing By wrote:
What a great subject to read about when i have been wanting a bacon butty all morning. May have to make myself one for tomorrow mornings walk to work

On 11 Mar 2013 at 2:40pm Blip wrote:
Enjoy!

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

South Downs Way 106:132
South Downs Way

I was aware the Duke of Edinburgh attended a family members funeral in Nazi Germany as a youngster. I'm no fan of the monarchy or... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde