Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

BBC 4 Story Of England

On 29 Sep 2010 at 11:12pm brixtonbelle wrote:
Just about to watch this new series on iplayer and notice the beeb are advertising it with a shot of historian Michael Wood taken from Castle Banks overlooking The Paddock

On 30 Sep 2010 at 7:53am Sarky Sue wrote:
Oh wow how fab .

On 30 Sep 2010 at 8:59am Newmania vs Serendipity wrote:
Off Topic
Someone has been listening to the wit and wisdom of J R Sussex because a programme of this very name is on Radio 4 at 8-oo PM on Saturday. I shall listen
On the subject of England my view is that when Britain meant something it meant Greater England and now it is little more than a set of entitlements . I do not favour an English Parliament to solve the West Lothian question but I welcome English laws. Toque is big on this stuff
ON TOPIC and apols to Brixton Belle -I love living near the site of the Norman Conquest ,you can read a book to your children and then point out of the window at the real thing .It can be a magical place to live Lewes and DFL though I may be I suspect love it as much as anyone and perhaps appreciate it more..ooer bit contraversial

On 30 Sep 2010 at 9:08am neukomer wrote:
And there is footage of Southover BS marching.
Its on BBC iPlayer for now.

On 30 Sep 2010 at 9:11am jrsussex wrote:
Would like to think the radio 4 programme is to do with me but no, certainly not as far as I am aware. I will listen in however, if it is interesting.

On 30 Sep 2010 at 12:53pm Clifford wrote:
'Angels in Marble: Working Class Conservatives in Urban England', by Robert MacKenzie and Allan Silver, 1968.

On 30 Sep 2010 at 12:56pm Jude wrote:
Me too. I love living somewhere with all the obvious history. Reading avery good book on The English at the moment by jeremy paxman that I picked up in british heart foundation shop. Can thoroughly recommend it if you can get hold a copy, Newmania

On 30 Sep 2010 at 4:56pm Newmania wrote:
Disraeli as the Times put it saw the Conservative voter in the working man just as the sculptor sees "the angel in the marble". That popped into my mind.
I think I may have read that one Jude although I couldn`t swear to it

On 30 Sep 2010 at 5:20pm Newmania wrote:
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.' (Michelangelo Buonarroti ) , that was the original source of the quote which the Times used to describe 'One Nation Conservatism' presumably in about 1868 ie the time of the Reform Act.

On 1 Oct 2010 at 7:59pm Peter Byron wrote:
The only good thing about Scottish law at present is you are exempt from paying to go into a nursing home, now that is civilised (not that it will affect me for many moons to come ha ha) oh, and I love a good Haggis, visit Boisdale for the best my friends. Cheers, Peter

27 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Rugby Club 78:132
Lewes Rugby Club

To be fair, I think Dominic Cummings staying put is actually doing the Labour party a favour. He's manipulated people to become... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams