Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Are you bee-phobic?

On 2 Jun 2012 at 7:29am buzz wrote:
The recent unusual weather has meant a surge in bee swarms this year. This is how the bees reproduce, the old queen leaves with half the bees and the rest wait for a new queen to hatch. The swarm itself, while noisy when moving, is pretty harmless - they're intent on finding a new home.
However, parents and teachers are in a panic - kids not going to school 'cos there's a swarm in a tree in the playground, kids not allowed out 'cos there's a few bees in the garden, grown men running away...
So, if you see a swarm of honey bees (often the size of a football hanging in a tree) don't panic (and pass your phobia onto the children) but ring your local swarm controller via the BBKA website.

Check it out here »

On 2 Jun 2012 at 8:15am Pete wrote:
Good to hear that we have these swarms about, I thought our little friends were in decline, but there's quite a few buzzing around my garden.
On 2 Jun 2012 at 2:46pm efflic wrote:
The biggest swarm that I have ever seen was round the Elly last November the 5th.

On 2 Jun 2012 at 6:00pm Sands wrote:
there was a swarm over my garden about a week ago......it was something I've never seen before and was spectacular....but I have to own up to going indoors!

On 3 Jun 2012 at 1:26pm Bongo wrote:
Sussex police also has a list of bee keepers that will come and harvest bee swarms. They will contact them direct, or give you a number to call. Don't do a 999, just call Sussex police on their 0845 number.
I totally agree about swarms not being dangerous. I stood in a middle of a huge swarm taking numerous photos of them. The noise was incredible! Pictures weren't too bad, either :-)

32 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Anne of Cleves House 3:132
Anne of Cleves House

And there was me, thinking it was some new low-impact exercise regime. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Believe you can or believe you can't... Either way you're right