Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Are We Nearly In The National Park Yet?

On 31 Mar 2009 at 10:02am Impatient wrote:
Etc

On 31 Mar 2009 at 10:25am sashimi wrote:
South Downs National Park has been announced and it includes Lewes. Look for press release on DEFRA website and follow link on the press release to the maop to see that Hilary Benn has really delivered. Hoo blooming ray!

On 31 Mar 2009 at 10:44am Celebrating wrote:
Smashing News!
Just hope this isn't some elaborate April Fool's joke!

On 31 Mar 2009 at 10:49am Merlin Milner wrote:
Fantastic. Hilary Benn is one of the few Labour MPs that I have time for. He was also good in his previous role.
Now there is parity with Petersfield and Midhurst.

On 31 Mar 2009 at 11:00am Local wrote:
This is great news. I'll probably go up on the Downs with a hip flask and shout Yippee. See you there.

On 31 Mar 2009 at 11:01am Toque wrote:
The BBC website tells us that "ministers have announced" the South Downs national park. Doesn't there need to be some sort of vote on it; some sort of democratic process or something?

On 31 Mar 2009 at 11:30am Not so fast wrote:
I think further debate is still planned to draw up the precise lines of the National Park - Lewes is not "saved" yet.

On 31 Mar 2009 at 11:32am Commuter wrote:
The BBC website says that Lewes in within the national park boundary...

On 31 Mar 2009 at 12:06pm Jason wrote:
BBC News is reportig that Lewes is within the National Park. You can catch it at the end of the 1 o'clock news.

On 31 Mar 2009 at 12:07pm sashimi wrote:
Not so fast, Lewes is 'in'. The only thing that could go wrong now is if West Sussex CC and Chichester DC decide to take their opposition to the limits and go for judicial review to get the whole national park designation order cancelled. They have 6 weeks to make up their minds on this and will have to show their hands in opposition to something that is very popular (except with large landowners) two weeks before the county council elections. Not very likely, but you never know. If there is a JR, I can't see it going against a very careful process that has taken over 10 years.

On 31 Mar 2009 at 12:23pm Gentleman Jim wrote:
Is it a coincidence that the councils opposing the National Park are Tory-run, and the main opponents of the Park are big landowners (traditional Tory voters and funders)?! I'm sure they'll claim it's something else though - it always is.

On 31 Mar 2009 at 12:29pm therealalekid wrote:
Arundel council was excluded like Lewes was in the original decision, when both previously were included. Only Lewes District council contested the decision and they are now back in, while Arundel have stayed excluded.
It'll be interesting to see how this goes down in Arundel as their voters were informed that contesting wasn't worthwhile.

On 31 Mar 2009 at 12:33pm bonfirek wrote:
Anyone else love the idea of Landport and Ousedale being included in the National Park?! That should increase the housing prices and make it even more likely that DFL's move here, oh great!!!!!!!

On 31 Mar 2009 at 12:34pm bonfirek wrote:
Also surely we'll now see the back of Charles Style for good?!

On 31 Mar 2009 at 12:39pm Lewes Laugher wrote:
Tut-tut bonfirek, you know that Mr Style was always deeply committed to Lewes and only had the town's best interests at heart. I don't think.

On 31 Mar 2009 at 12:58pm Smiler wrote:
Why is it a good thing to be part of the National Park?
This is not a wind up, I really don't know.

On 31 Mar 2009 at 1:07pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Because National Park status gives the highest possible degree of legal protection against inappropriate development. Planning decisions in parks are taken by the relevant national park authority, whose overriding aim is the preservation and protection of the landscape and physical environment, not local councils.
It's why places like the Peak District and Yorkshire dales are still beautiful and unspoiled, and the towns in them haven't been ruined by jerry-built flats for commuters.

On 31 Mar 2009 at 1:11pm Toque wrote:
Arundel is going to be ruined by that 'Eco-town' anyway. Did anyone else notice how none of Gordon Broon's eco-towns were proposed for his native Scotland? Without exception they are planned for English greenbelt.

On 31 Mar 2009 at 1:29pm Lopster wrote:
can we make it retrospective to the date 40 years ago when it was first mooted - and rip down the bl00dy printworks H&S hazard?
Hooray - a celebration seems in order...

On 31 Mar 2009 at 2:04pm chav wrote:
Does this mean we get a national skate park as well?

On 31 Mar 2009 at 2:21pm sashimi wrote:
In 50 years time my grandchildren will look back and see that Lewes has managed to recover from years of neglect by the local authorities and at the same time it has managed to keep its spirit while much of the rest of the South East has been overwhelmed by development.

On 31 Mar 2009 at 2:39pm normal norman wrote:
Will we have to pay more to park in a national park?

On 31 Mar 2009 at 3:17pm George Doors wrote:
Depends if NCP run it.

On 31 Mar 2009 at 3:50pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Would 40 years enable us to get rid of County Hell, Lopster? If so, I'm all for it!

On 31 Mar 2009 at 3:52pm Irony wrote:
Ha - now wonder NCP are called NATIONAL car PARK!
Never got it until now!!!!

On 31 Mar 2009 at 6:47pm Bonfirek wrote:
If you read the decision notice on the Defra site, you'll notice that the planning authority is staying as it is at the moment.

On 31 Mar 2009 at 7:40pm Agony Aunt wrote:
Quite often the planning decisions are handed to the local authority to manage. In the case of LDC's track record of approving inappropriate structures, we can only hope that the powers will not be delegated to them but managed by the National Park Bigwigs

On 31 Mar 2009 at 8:05pm Local wrote:
Amen to that Agony Aunt. And the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if LDC were glad to hand the whole thing over to someone else. There are votes to be lost in making people angry. It might mean some redundancies in the planning department though.

On 31 Mar 2009 at 8:48pm Humppphhh wrote:
So if you want to put up a swing in the back garden of your house on the Nevill, the planners will turn down the application in the interests of the preservation of the landscape?
Marvellous news.

On 1 Apr 2009 at 1:09am Humppphhh wrote:
Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
It's why places like the Peak District and Yorkshire dales are still beautiful and unspoiled, and the towns in them haven't been ruined by jerry-built flats for commuters.
The ONLY town in the Peak District National Park is Bakewell (population 3,979 - much smaller than Lewes). The government sensibly left town planning in places like Glossop and Buxton to democratically elected local planning authorities, not appointed quangos located miles away.

On 1 Apr 2009 at 1:36am harold wrote:
I sometimes think people of Lewes have a very short memory, the Cliffe in the 70's was a sh*t hole,caused by property owners waiting for something to happen that never did,Its going to move that way again .... for the sake of our children lets rebuild our county town and make it something to be proud of .. WE NEED THE BIGGER TESCO, WE NEED CHARLES STYLES, WE NEED ALDI, WE NEED SOMETHING TO BRING PEOPLE INTO THIS TOWN, And im not sorry for shouting, The town I love is being crushed by arty farty DFLs and Not in My back Yard tw*ts, this is a Market town, I want people to 'Need 'to come here, not to just come here because its Quaint.

ps there is more true Lewes blood in Landport than you might think, stop slagging it off.....

On 1 Apr 2009 at 6:00am Local wrote:
harold wrote: 'for the sake of our children lets rebuild our county town and make it something to be proud of .. WE NEED THE BIGGER TESCO, WE NEED CHARLES STYLES,'
If there's one thing we don't need it's Style and Angel Property. If you don't know his history as a developer you should by now - it's had enough publicity.

On 1 Apr 2009 at 10:31am 1950s wrote:
Harold, if you get the geese, I'll get the herd of sheep, and we can bring the market town of Lewes back to its golden age.
I agree with you that there is a very irritating arty farty contingent. Not a lot different really from the past 100 years. You will remember the story of Rodin's 'The Kiss' It was the 'arty farty' brigade that offered the town a sculpture that would now be the towns biggest asset, and people like you that refused it. Thanks for that! We've got a a tesco, and aldi is already approved, so stop your whinging be nice to your annoying arty farty neighbours, and get them to take you to the Churchill Centre, where there are more High St shops than we will ever fit into a small town like Lewes.

On 1 Apr 2009 at 12:28pm bonfirek wrote:
Churchill Centre???!!!

On 1 Apr 2009 at 6:28pm harold wrote:
That says it all really, only a arty farty would think that a sculpture is more important than people. If i could sell them all for scrap and save one life it would be a better world...
BTW the biggest asset of Lewes is its cranky people who make Lewes the place the DFL's want to live.

On 2 Apr 2009 at 8:29am bonfirek wrote:
Spot on harold, it'll only get worse now we're gonna be in the National Park, should've had a referundum on it

1 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Buskers in Lewes 17:132
Buskers in Lewes

@TP - the lockdown is economically costly, but I can't even begin to think of the numbers of deaths that would have occurred had... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare