Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Anyone recommend a nursery for under 1's in Lewes?

 
 
On 3 May 2011 at 12:07am Emery wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for recommendations for a nursery for under 1's in Lewes - anyone have any?
Thanks
1
 
On 3 May 2011 at 8:39am Winterbourne Wanderer wrote:
Might be a bit out of date now but when mine were nursery-age a couple of years ago there were only two nurseries that took children under-1: Early Years and Jigsaw. The others I think only take from 2+.
1
 
On 3 May 2011 at 1:30pm Ana wrote:
My little one is in Cliffe Child Care Centre in Morris street. He is been there since he was 9 months (he is now 22 months) . I would highly recommend it.
4
4
On 3 May 2011 at 8:08pm Boris wrote:
Here's a novel idea , why don't you stay at home and bring your child up yourself.
1
3
On 3 May 2011 at 9:38pm Jackson wrote:
Boris what business of yours is it if Emery chooses / has to put her child into daycare? Don't be so judgemental. These decisions are not easily made.
 
4
On 3 May 2011 at 9:41pm Madame Bovary wrote:
Boris, that was a rather crass remark. The need for money is usually a strong incentive to go to work, especially these days. Many mothers would love the opportunity to stay at home and not be parted from their child. Choose the right nursery and the child will enjoy all the activities and interaction. I have heard good things of Jigsaw.
1
 
On 3 May 2011 at 10:25pm Cliffebimbo wrote:
My daughter went to Jigsaw and I thought they were very good. One advantage of there, is they have a lovely outdoor area. If you decide to look at Early Years they do not have a lot of availability AND they are very expensive.
1
1
On 3 May 2011 at 11:24pm queequeg wrote:
I think, for a child so young, you would be better served by a child minder who might be able to give one to one time or at least only shared by one or two others. Contact Kites for a list of registered child minders, they are all Ofsted inspected and rated and have to give a full range of activities and learning programmes.
3
1
On 4 May 2011 at 7:56am old mum wrote:
Whilst I realize there are situations that means mum has to work,it does seem to me, that young women are under pressure these days to be seen to be all things.As an older person I find it hard to understand why one would have a child ,only to work,and pay someone else to look after the child.Those first years are the most delightfull and rewarding for mum and baby.Perhaps a little forward thinking as to how one will manage,ie money etc and accept it will be hard or,simply do not have a child!
 
1
On 4 May 2011 at 8:53am Mr Forks wrote:
Perhaps its the fact that the cost of living is so expensive it leaves no choice but for both parents to have to work. Dont want to do it, but its an expensive world we live in and getting more expensive under the Con Dems!
2
 
On 4 May 2011 at 9:15am old mum wrote:
I feel sad for todays young. They have no idea how it was before. We knew nothing of having the latest mobiles,tvs,named clothes,prams etc.We were happy to have second hand,or passed on through the family.Dad went to work,mum looked after the children and I believe we were a lot happier then. Too many outside influences have made our young want and expect far too much.Young woman want the child,the job,the holidays ,the latest fashions for self AND child. It does just does not work. FACT!
 
2
On 4 May 2011 at 2:29pm TDA wrote:
Old mum, some people can't afford a mortgage or rent if both partners don't go to work, never mind the mobiles, tvs, etc.
 
1
On 4 May 2011 at 4:29pm Mr Forks wrote:
Exactly!
1
1
On 4 May 2011 at 4:46pm old mum wrote:
TDA,then why have a child? Why not work until you can rent or buy?There are young couples being sensible,there are also those not thinking it through properly.NOBODY,barring (accidents)need get pregnant these days.Sorry, common sense must prevail.Do not have what you cannot afford!
1
 
On 4 May 2011 at 6:27pm MC wrote:
Mr Forks and TDA are spot on. The cost of just living is so stupidly high nowadays that in most cases both parents have to work just to be able to afford council tax, mortgage/rent, gas/electricity/water, clothes and food. This is before being able afford consumer goods and satellite TV.

Old mum. You are suggesting that only the well off or the middle aged should have children.
3
1
On 4 May 2011 at 7:12pm Boris wrote:
I would consider myself working class. Both my wife and I work incredibly hard but at different times so that either one of us is looking after our young children at any given time.
The early years are probably the most important in a persons life and why anyone would pass the responsibility of looking after the child on to a complete stranger is a complete mystery to me.
At the end of the day it's all about priorities .
 
 
On 4 May 2011 at 7:24pm MC wrote:
We're in danger of being a bit black and white here. It is possible to send you child to a child-minder or nursery and to bring it up yourself. There is something to be said for the socialisation that a nursery affords young children (especially only children).
2
2
On 4 May 2011 at 7:26pm Sensible Parent wrote:
Well said Boris and Old Mum.
Emery, do the decent thing and stay at home with your baby. Forget about the money , down grade if necessary , believe me it will be the best thing that your ever do. No amount of money can give you back the time that you will miss out on with your child.
2
1
On 4 May 2011 at 7:29pm Boris wrote:
That is absolute poppycock MC.
A one year old just wants to be with their mother .
1
1
On 4 May 2011 at 7:34pm Mr Forks wrote:
Boris, Old Mum and Sensible parent obviously dont have a massive mortgage, bills etc to pay. Staying at home is not affordable, esp. with Child benefit getting cut. This is a damn expensive time in this country, and what are the Government doing for parents, nothing thats what!
If DFL parents didn't come to Lewes and raise the house prices then us locals wouldn't have huge mortgages and be unable to stay at home with our kids. Bloody chattering classes!
1
 
On 4 May 2011 at 7:50pm Boris wrote:
What a load of rubbish Mr Forks.
Firstly I am not a DFL. I hate them for the very reason that you raised in your last paragraph.
Secondly , compared to our joint income we do have a massive mortgage.
Thirdly. Child benefit is only being cut for people at the high end of the wage scale.
The government has no money , mainly because of thirteen years worth of over spending by the previous administration.
 
 
On 4 May 2011 at 10:19pm MC wrote:
Not forgetting the bankers of course...
 
 
On 4 May 2011 at 10:29pm Roly Mo wrote:
For gods sake, all the poor man/woman wanted to know was whether anyone could recommend a good nursery. This isn't a debate on finance or how the child is affected by being looked after by strangers. Emery-I recommend a childminder until your child is at least 2. I use one at the moment and she is fab and gives my little one all the love and attention that I am unable to give him whilst I am at work (I have to work to pay bills, not to buy fashionable clothes or flashy holidays). He loves her to bits and is extremely happy. My daughter went to a childminder and then nursery and she is intelligent, affectionate and not damaged at all by the fact I left her to go to work. Surely it is better for the child to have a happy mum, than one who is stressing about paying the bills. Live in the real world, Old Mum.
1
 
On 4 May 2011 at 11:11pm old mum wrote:
I do Roly Mo. What I see is what I have said above. Both of us worked while renting or living with parents . Five years later we were able to put a deposit down on a small property.Then and only then did we begin a family.It was hard but,what we had was paid for. Apart from a mortgage and the usual bill"s we had no hire purchase.No sleepless nights wondering how we would pay crediters. We made do with what we had.50 years later we are still together!As I said ,the old way was best!
 
 
On 5 May 2011 at 8:28am Mr Forks wrote:
RE Old Mum, cost of living was cheaper back then!
 
 
On 5 May 2011 at 3:32pm bastian wrote:
if rent is on average in lewes £850-for a flat and the minimum wage is £1177per month ,less tax and NI(26%)times that by two if you both work(it's about £2ooo a month)how are you suposed to pay that rent,food,bills,council tax and a childminder...this is the modern world inwhich we don't live near parents or they were,in our case too old to look after our children(not because we had them late but because they had us late because of the war)If your life was simple old mum,you were lucky.However we in this house do believe that a childs first 5 years are very important to you and them..but it's not always possible.Also,when both work there is usually another workload at home waiting to be distributed equally...but it rarely is.
 
 
On 5 May 2011 at 5:25pm Clifford wrote:
Boris wrote: 'The government has no money , mainly because of thirteen years worth of over spending by the previous administration.'
If that's true Boris why did the Tories say they'd stick to Labour's spending - until that little problem with the banks hit in 2008? Do you think our problems may have more to do with bankers' greed and incompetence than what Labour did? (unless, of course, you say that Labour should have regulated the banks more firmly - but you haven't said that).
 
 
On 5 May 2011 at 8:59pm MC wrote:
They should have done of course but in retrospect they were a very weak Labour government. However, the Tories shouldn't have liberalised them in the first place. Boris, please don't fall for the Tory lies hook line and sinker. The UK taxpayer bailed out the banker friends of the Tories for upwards of £850bn.
 
1
On 5 May 2011 at 9:11pm Mr Forks wrote:
The tories are scumbags, as are the coalition!
 
 
On 5 May 2011 at 11:08pm giveitarest wrote:
old mum - when my parents bought their brand new four-bed house in the mid 1950s the cost was about 18 months' worth of my dad's salary. So what you're saying is that in Lewes, now, people shouldn't have kids now until one parent is earning £250K? Yeah, that makes sense.

And when Emery is at home and not paying tax along with all the other Emerys up and down the land, your pension and healthcare will get wiped out. You'll like that.
3
 
On 6 May 2011 at 2:36am IMEYOU wrote:
In our case I worked the day shift , mum worked the evening shift . . That way the kids bonded with both mum and dad, not a child minder and we kept the money we earned, we never relied on outsiders or our parents . . We made our own bed and slept in it !
 
1
On 6 May 2011 at 4:28am wrote:
You didn't provide any gainful employment for others? That's pretty selfish. How's that supposed to keep the economy going? Are there lots of shift work opportunities nowadays? Still too black and White. Is easy to bond with child, look after child and employ childminder when necessary. Loads of people do it. There is lots of evidence to support the fact that a career-less stay at home much cannot offer a child as much opportunity and stimulation as one that engages with the world via work and career.


5 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Keere Street Cross 48:132
Keere Street Cross

Which nonce art thou pausing for Nuncle? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine