Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Another Saturday Another Road Closed

On 11 Aug 2012 at 8:51am the old mayor wrote:
So Market Street closed this weekend. Another major Lewes artery shut on the 'busiest' retail day !!! Why don't we request a closure of School Hill one Saturday to celebrate Nelson Day and see if we get permission. There should be a huge hew & cry if we didn't !!

On 11 Aug 2012 at 2:50pm jo wrote:
well start the ball rolling

On 13 Aug 2012 at 1:59pm Sussex Jim wrote:
Watch out for the road works in Offham. The hole and resultant temporary traffic lights from Saturday are still there, but so is the inadequate warning signage as you approach from Lewes. Be careful to avoid crashing into the back of the queue round the corner.

On 14 Aug 2012 at 8:59am Me wrote:
Whatever happened to being able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear?

On 14 Aug 2012 at 10:11am Cllr Ashley Price wrote:
Market Street needed to be closed for a day-and-a-half for urgent gas replacement works. There were three properties in the road that hadn't had a supply since 13th June.
Southern Gas Network had tried to do the replacement once before by only shutting off the pavement. However, pedestrians wouldn't follow the recommended detour route - preferring to walk in the (narrow) road. This led to an accident between a pedestrian and a vehicle.
The closure, therefore, was seen as the safest method. As for the timing of the closure - imagine if it had been a day and a half during the week!

On 14 Aug 2012 at 9:38pm fleamarket wrote:
Well we at the fleamarket were affected badly by the closure , plus we were never even informed of the proposed work ! what chance of compensation ? slim it would seem . And by the way cllr price in retail, saturday and sunday ARE the busiest days , but then Lewes likes all its independent shops , it just won't do much to ever support them !

On 15 Aug 2012 at 10:38am the old mayor wrote:
The Green Party, what do you expect - probably doesn't even know what days there are in the week !! And certainly doesn't care about business and commerce !!

30 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Castle from below 62:143
Lewes Castle from below

It just bothers me that anyone thinks that they or the government have the right to tell me what I can put in my own body. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine