Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Another Lewes Landmark Bites the Dust

On 5 Aug 2008 at 8:34pm SHS wrote:
As I'm sure everyone has noticed, the 2-billion-year-old 200-metre high camelia tree that was growing against a house in Grange Road has been felled. A sad loss indeed and doubtless we will be hearing from Brazil about this latest advance in the deforestation of Lewes. I don't hug the things but the value of trees in the Lewes landscape is grossly underestimated - they are often older than any Conservation Area buildings and of considerably greater architectural merit, being impossible to reproduce. Also, is it any wonder that we have graffiti if kids have no trees on which to carve their initials? Please join me in a moment of sad reflection.

On 5 Aug 2008 at 9:40pm Chav wrote:
I'll hold your sandals for you while you put your socks on

On 5 Aug 2008 at 11:54pm Geoff. wrote:
Shame. was a great place to shelter from rain with recycled paper cup of yogic tea.
What caused its final demise?

On 6 Aug 2008 at 12:44pm Local wrote:
It's not difficult to get a preservation order put on a tree if you can put up a good enough argument to the tree preservation officer on Lewes District Council. Mind you, if a developer gets planning permission that overrides the order. Worth trying in future, though.

33 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Swan penny 123:132
The Swan penny

Yes I’m really going to miss the ‘its Oh so wonderful and it’s only 600 quid’ advertising features … more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington