Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Annual Town Meeting, 20th April, 6.30pm, Town Hall

On 19 Apr 2017 at 8:43am Imogen Makepeace wrote:
What is The Town Meeting?
The Annual Parish or Town Meeting is not a council meeting. It is a meeting of the town electors taking place between 1 March and 1 June.
What's on The Agenda?
Electors can contribute to the agenda and in practice these meetings often celebrate local activities and debate current issues in the community.
This means that it is a meeting for YOU, to come and tell US what is on your mind, and we, the Council must PAY ATTENTION:

Check it out here »
On 19 Apr 2017 at 4:02pm John Stockdale wrote:
The Meeting is at 6.30pm on Thursday 20 April. I have suggested electors might be interested to know
• Why has the town precept gone up by 8% and special expenses for Lewes from the District Council by 14% this year when the 18% increase last year was intended to allow for the transfer of parks from District to Town?
• Why has the Town Hall been covered in scaffold for over a year?
• Why is the redevelopment of Malling Community Centre still not under way after 7 years?
• What further major costs can we expect for the maintenance of the Town’s major buildings?
• Why is the Neighbourhood Plan still not published in draft?
• Why are the Councils communications so very poor?
• What progress has been made in restructuring the Council to make it more cost effective?
• Shouldn’t we expect to see at the meeting copies of the Council’s budget for 2017-18 and councillors’ attendance records for 2016-17?
There will, I am sure, be other issues.

On 19 Apr 2017 at 6:40pm Voter wrote:
I might be able to make it if I can get back from work in time. Do many people usually attend?

On 20 Apr 2017 at 8:26am imogen makepeace wrote:
Hi Voter,
last year the meeting was very well attended, with up to 50 people. Many issues were raised (follow the facebook link for the report on the discussions).
In years prior to last, the attendance has been minimal, mainly due to it being badly publicised.
Newly elected Councillors are keen to encourage more participation and engagement in local democracy and to feed back the work we do to the electors.
It's an open meeting, please come along, even if you are a bit late.

33 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes development 70:143
Lewes development

The old hyena's really living up to his name. Whatever you think about Corbyn the last thing you could imagine is that he's... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like All the wide open spaces on the downs
Jojo