Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Andrew Chitty, Philosophy Lecturer

On 26 Nov 2017 at 5:43am Jon wrote:
What a fine example to set.
On 26 Nov 2017 at 8:00am Gus wrote:
Explain, please. We are not mindreaders!
On 26 Nov 2017 at 8:37am Chitty . author of..... wrote:
the bang bang theory
On 26 Nov 2017 at 9:26am Gus wrote:
So? Explain for us illiterates who are not thinking of reading the book. Save us the trouble.
On 26 Nov 2017 at 1:34pm Andrew Chitty wrote:

Unfortunately I have no book coming out, but I'll let the rapper Akala speak:
"In 2011 we were told we loved Libyans so much we wanted to bomb democracy into them. Less than five years later we're leaving people fleeing the same conflict to drown in the sea, while giving a woman space in a national newspaper to refer to them as "cockroaches". And when you refer to humans as 'cockroaches' that is a mandate for murder. Let's be clear about that. The moment human beings become non-human, that is a mandate for murdering them. There is a long historical parallel of that."
"No matter what, the 700 people that were left to drown off the coast of the Mediterranean, were they white human beings they wouldn't be left to drown. And they certainly wouldn't be called 'cockroaches'."
(Danny Boyle Show, June 2015. See bit.ly/1FRUiWS at 3:05 and 6:10. The whole clip is worth watching.)
It's unfortunate that Akala says 'a woman' (why is it relevant that Hopkins is a woman?), but otherwise I think he gives sufficient reason to protest at any event where she speaks.
However I'm aware of the phenomenon of 'motivated ignorance' (see bit.ly/2pNWXfT) so I would be very happy to hear from those who disagree with what I said to the Argus: either on this forum, or by email (achitty2004@hotmail.com) or in person (at any Lewes café).
(BTW I don't recall saying "spew hate speech" to the reporter. I'm sure it was "SPREAD hate speech"!)
On 26 Nov 2017 at 2:08pm urgh wrote:
nothin worse than cardigan wearing,mung bean eating uni lecturer, spewing out their oh so clever clap trap.....effigy fodder
On 26 Nov 2017 at 2:15pm Jon wrote:
Has he bitten?
Would the real Andrew Chitty please stand up.
On 27 Nov 2017 at 11:49am Tom Pain wrote:
Hate speech is just free speech that you do not agree with.

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

It Takes Balls to be a Phoenix 47:132
It Takes Balls to be a Phoenix

The repeated attempts to dismiss the covid-19 pandemic as just another flu outbreak ignores a key difference. Flu victims feel... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine