Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Ancestry

On 10 Oct 2017 at 6:52pm History nut wrote:
Anyone got paid access to ancestry.com? Am trying to find details of Elizabeth Gatton, born in Lewes in approx 1794? I would be very grateful for any help! Where was she born exactly? Etc
On 10 Oct 2017 at 7:31pm Fairmeadow wrote:
Free access to Ancestry at Lewes Library or The Keep, Falmer. I don't see her on the (free) Familysearch website.
However, in the Lewes area the surnames GATTON, GASTON & GASSON seem to be interchangeable.
The Keep also has the original baptism registers for the Lewes Anglican churches and copies of the surviving registers of those Lewes chapels that baptised infants. tough luck if your ancestors were Baptists, who only baptised people when they were old enough to make a personal commitment to Jesus.
Do you have a later marriage or census reference to her? Lots of GASSONs, GATTENs and GASTONs in Ringmer.
On 10 Oct 2017 at 9:10pm Sparky wrote:
There is an Elizabeth Gatton on Ancestry, born c1794 in Lewes living in Black Row, East Grinstead in 1861. She was a widow living with her daughter Mary Ann who was married to a James Skinner.
On 10 Oct 2017 at 9:15pm Sparky wrote:
In 1871 it says she was actually born in Beddingham
On 11 Oct 2017 at 8:47am History nut wrote:
Yes that's her sparky. ta. Not sure of her maiden name
On 11 Oct 2017 at 9:31am Sparky wrote:
There was a Charles Gatton b c1800 married Elizabeth/Eliza Kimber b c1794 in East Grinstead in 1839. her father was Thomas Kimber
On 11 Oct 2017 at 9:40am History nut wrote:
Many thanks sparky

On 12 Oct 2017 at 3:29am Fairmeadow wrote:
If she was born in 1794 but not married until 1839, age about 45, she would surely be very lucky to become anyone's ancestor?

On 12 Oct 2017 at 7:48am History nut wrote:
She is on a census aged 88 and as a mother. 45 is not unusual for motherhood. In those days they has babies right up to menopause.....poor buggers!
On 12 Oct 2017 at 2:15pm Fairmeadow wrote:
In the family re constitutions I have done giving birth above 45 is, while not unknown, sufficiently exceptional to raise questions. most long families end with the mother in their early 40s. The oldest mother I have seen with a documented birth date is 47, but she seemed a one off. Come across a few census entries where an apparent mother who would have given birth at over 45 turns out, on closer inspection, to have added a daughter's illegitimate child or children to the end of their own brood.

27 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Keere Street Cross 48:132
Keere Street Cross

Trump worse than Obama? GTFO. Trump claimed a lot of things, you'd be a fool to accept it. Drone strikes and bombing raids... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington